Apple Removes 1000s of iPhone Application Reviews

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hello everyone. I was happy when I read this post at CartoonBarry. Apparently Apple has removed 1000s of iPhone Application reviews by users who didn't buy or download the iPhone applications they are reviewing.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    I am more surprised that they let people submit reviews for an app without buying it first. Their ratings system is really messed up too. The averages don't add up to the reviews but it's because people can rate an app and not review it. The iphone asks to rate the app when you delete it. This isn't a great way to determine a rating. They should add more weight to ratings if they are given with a textual review so that people are encouraged to explain why they did or didn't like an app. Most of the apps I see are all rated 2.5 even if the textual reviews are terrible or overwhelmingly great so it's very difficult to tell one way or the other.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Yeah the app reviews are/were weird. Then again, how would one rate fart applications for example?

"...Yes, dear sir, with reference to the flatulence-generating applicationismo you have so well produced, I would say, with gusto, capital effort, old chap. I shall enjoy numerous chuckles and hours of juvenile (if you will excuse my age), light-hearted fun by the fireplace when the better half has gone off to sleep and there are no sounds but the night owl and that joyful repertoire of human cacaphony emanating from the speakers of the i-telephone..."
  • Reply 3 of 7
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Yeah the app reviews are/were weird. Then again, how would one rate fart applications for example?

"...Yes, dear sir, with reference to the flatulence-generating applicationismo you have so well produced, I would say, with gusto, capital effort, old chap. I shall enjoy numerous chuckles and hours of juvenile (if you will excuse my age), light-hearted fun by the fireplace when the better half has gone off to sleep and there are no sounds but the night owl and that joyful repertoire of human cacaphony emanating from the speakers of the i-telephone..."

Please, please, buy a fart app just so that you can post that as a review! It's a work of genius

Amorya
  • Reply 4 of 7
    cmsprocmspro Posts: 5member
    Why would someone write a reveiw if they haven't even used it, I say good ridence. Fales reveiws FTL
  • Reply 5 of 7
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmspro View Post

Why would someone write a reveiw if they haven't even used it, I say good ridence. Fales reveiws FTL

Pretty much par for the course.

I've ready plenty of horrid Professional reviews but for a good reality check

I often will read some amazon.com reviews and you see the same thing. People

reviewing books they "obviously" did not read. Product reviews that almost seem

binary (with some people a 5 start rating system doesn't apply it's 1 star if they dislike

it and 5 star if they do)

Macupdate.com has some laughable reviews as well where folks are oft to recommend you check out some freebie tool that has half the functionality of the app you're looking at.

Writing a review is difficult. It typically requires structure that is a bit beyond passing a 101 English course IMO. Hell I've done reviews and found that my skills were lacking.

I applaud Apple for shitcanning thousands of moronic reviews that are just taking up space.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    The reviews were from teenage boys who were not old enough to have a credit card, and whose parents didn't give them an iTunes allowance, or at least in their opinion, "enough" of an iTunes allowance.

So they ran rampant through the Games (all they want is games, games, games) and marked them all "this should be free it sucks blah blah."

Cost developers a lot of money. Now at least the little bastards have to fork over some money to play let's-troll-the-reviews.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    utisnum1utisnum1 Posts: 138member
    I must admit, that I (like most people) used to not get an app because of the reviews, it is just a habit of human kind i guess.