DSL security - OS X

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I'm not a techie. I have just installed DSL. What do I need to do to ensure security? I have been told:

Use OS X built-in firewall

Buy a "real" software firewall

Buy a router (I only have 1 computer at home)

several of the above

Any help would be appreciated!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Many will disagree with me, but if you're not running any servers (websharing, filesharing, telnet, ftp, etc) then you don't have much to worry about though I'd turn on the firewall for good measure.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    I agree with Code Master. If your Mac is already secure then a firewall can't make it more secure.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Use the built in firewall and don't bother with a router till you buy another computer.

Make sure that you keep up to date with security patches and turn off any services you don't use (luckily this is the default with OS X).

It's better if you use ssh instead of telnet and scp/sftp instead of ftp. You can use the free fugu client or buy Transmit 2 from Panic for OS X, and putty on Windows (also free) to make this easy. Though, if your not the technical type you may not need these. I recommed them though for making the most of your 24/7 connection (remember you need to open port 22 to use ssh/scp).
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Thank you all for your help. Not being a technical type keeps me from knowing if I need some of the tips supplied.

I will simply upgrade to OS X 2.1 and turn on the firewall. What's interesting is that I have posted this question in other forums and no one has known if the built-in OS X firewall is actually any good. I guess no one who understands these things use it.

Thanks Again!
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Yes, the built-in firewall is quite secure. It is far more than most average users would ever need.

I use it. It is very good. In fact, I used it back when you had to configure it from the command line and there weren't any 3rd party GUI tools to configure it.

The firewall interface in the System Prefs is very VERY simplistic. There are a myriad of options for the firewall that aren't shown there. If you want a more advanced interface with all the options, go download BrickHouse. It's a free tool that is simply a front-end to configure the built-in firewall.

[ 10-25-2002: Message edited by: Brad ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 6
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    If you are the kind of person who peruses mac boards and implements tips, stuff like that, then go to VersionTracker and get BrickHouse, which is simply a program that implement's Apple's firewall with a more specificity.

If you won't be doing that, stick with the built-in one.