Apple debuts new Mac minis with five times better graphics

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
As part of its complete desktop revamp Tuesday, Apple introduced a pair of new 2.0GHz Mac minis that deliver up to five times better graphics performance through the same NVIDIA GeForce 9400M integrated graphics used in the company's latest family of unibody MacBooks.

"The Mac mini is not only our most affordable Mac, it's also the world's most energy efficient desktop computer," said Apple chief operating officer Tim Cook. It uses less than 13 watts of power when idle, up to 10 times less power than a typical desktop PC.

Available in two models that start at $599, Mac mini features a 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, up to 4GB of DDR3 1066 MHz memory, up to 320GB Serial ATA hard drive, five USB 2.0 ports, FireWire 800 and a SuperDrive. The diminutive desktops also sport NVIDIA GeForce 9400M integrated graphics for up to five times better graphics performance than the previous generation models with added display support that can drive two Apple or third-party displays with Mini DisplayPort or DVI connections.

Like the new iMacs, the Mac minis exceed current Energy Star 4.0 requirements and are leading the industry as early adopters of the more stringent Energy Star 5.0 requirements which will become effective later this year. The new Mac minis also use PVC-free internal components and cables and contain no brominated flame retardants. Like the company's latest notebooks and iMacs, the minis have achieved EPEAT Gold status.

Each Mac mini comes with Apple's iLife '09 suite of applications for managing photos, making movies and creating and learning to play music, as well as Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard.

The new 2.0 GHz Mac mini, for a suggested retail price of $599 (US), includes:

2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 3MB shared L2 cache;1GB of 1066 MHz DDR3 SDRAM expandable up to 4GB;NVIDIA GeForce 9400M integrated graphics;120GB Serial ATA hard drive running at 5400 rpm;a slot-load 8x SuperDrive with double-layer support (DVD+/-R DL/DVD+/-RW/CD-RW); separately);Mini DisplayPort and mini-DVI for video output (adapters sold separately);built-in AirPort Extreme wireless networking & Bluetooth 2.1+EDR;Gigabit Ethernet (10/100/1000 BASE-T);five USB 2.0 ports;one FireWire 800 port; andone audio line in and one audio line out port, each supporting both optical digital and analog.

The new 2.0 GHz Mac mini, for a suggested retail price of $799 (US), includes:

2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 3MB shared L2 cache;2GB of 1066 MHz DDR3 SDRAM expandable up to 4GB;NVIDIA GeForce 9400M integrated graphics;320GB Serial ATA hard drive running at 5400 rpm;a slot-load 8x SuperDrive with double-layer support (DVD+/-R DL/DVD+/-RW/CD-RW);Mini DisplayPort and mini-DVI for video output (adapters sold separately);built-in AirPort Extreme wireless networking & Bluetooth 2.1+EDR;Gigabit Ethernet (10/100/1000 BASE-T);five USB 2.0 ports;one FireWire 800 port; andone audio line in and one audio line out port, each supporting both optical digital and analog.

Build-to-order options and accessories for the Mac mini include: a 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, up to 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, 80GB, 250GB or 320GB 5400 hard drives. Additional options include: LED Cinema Display, Apple Keyboard, Apple Keyboard with numeric keypad, Apple Wireless Keyboard and Wireless Mighty Mouse; AirPort Express, AirPort Extreme Base Station, Time Capsule; Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter, Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter (for 30-inch DVI display), Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter, Apple USB Modem, Apple Remote, the AppleCare Protection Plan; and pre-installed copies of iWork '09, Logic Express 8, Final Cut Express 4 and Aperture 2.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 206
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    oh really
  • Reply 2 of 206
    agnuke1707agnuke1707 Posts: 487member
    FINALLY, FINALLY, FINALLY!!! Basically a square, non-portable MacBook, which is fine with me.

I would have liked to have seen the 2.26 GHz as standard, but oh well, at least the $599 model has a freaking SuperDrive now. 5 USB slots will definitely be a help also...

It was a long wait for what I'm sure a lot of people will regard as insignificant feature bumps, but to hell with them! I'm getting a new mini!!!!
  • Reply 3 of 206
    cam'roncam'ron Posts: 503member
    Fake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 4 of 206
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Oh well... solid update. Would have liked a new case but whatevs. The ports are generous and widen the potential userbase significantly. I'm buying.
  • Reply 5 of 206
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cam'ron View Post

Fake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dang you beat me to it!
  • Reply 6 of 206
    rokkenrokken Posts: 236member
    Mac Mini costs 1000Kr more and iMac 1200Kr more now. Nice!
  • Reply 7 of 206
    lamewinglamewing Posts: 742member
    I am also buying. The outlet/refurbs are really tempting, but I want to be able to bring the mini up to 4gb of ram. My current machine is a hand-built PC with an AMD 64 3000Mhz proc. - 4 years old to the month, so it is definitely time for an upgrade.

It doesn't look like Apple made it any easier to replace the RAM....boooo, but that is life.

I wonder if the Apple stores will have them in stock today? I will find out at 10am.

later...
  • Reply 8 of 206
    walneywalney Posts: 70member
  • Reply 9 of 206
    Are the only differences between the two mini models RAM and hard drive? If so I'm going for the cheaper one! Assuming the tried & true putty knife method still applies...
  • Reply 10 of 206
    7600/1327600/132 Posts: 51member
    According to the Mini's tech specs page, the high end version has a 2.26 GHz chip.

Edit: Oops, its build-to-order only.
  • Reply 11 of 206
    dogcowdogcow Posts: 713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 7600/132 View Post

According to the Mini's tech specs page, the high end version has a 2.26 GHz chip.

Then scroll down and see they are both 2.0GHz and they are 2.0GHz on the store page... odd.
  • Reply 12 of 206
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    Quote:

according to the mini's tech specs page, the high end version has a 2.26 ghz chip.

$150 bto
  • Reply 13 of 206
    dnisbetdnisbet Posts: 201member
    Yeah shame the UK entry price has gone up, but I'd rather pay the £109 today than get yesterdays model.

It's been a long time coming, but finally some new specs. I'll be probably walking by the Apple Store sometime this week to pick one up on impulse...
  • Reply 14 of 206
    No, both are 2.0. And the other difference is graphics, one is 128 and the other 256.

Quote:

• Reply 15 of 206
    utisnum1utisnum1 Posts: 138member
    I don't think this is a bad update. Again this should have come out sooner but any update is welcomed.
  • Reply 16 of 206
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Exchange rates people - not exactly Apple's fault...
  • Reply 17 of 206
    quevarquevar Posts: 101member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eggstone View Post

No, both are 2.0. And the other difference is graphics, one is 128 and the other 256.

So, what is the difference of having 128 vs. 256 MB of graphics memory. I know some games require it, but would it speed up openCL, iMovie, rendering, etc.?

I am so glad they finally updated it. Now I just have to decide which graphics and processor speed I want.
  • Reply 18 of 206
    What's the best way to hook this up to my HDTV??
  • Reply 19 of 206
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Sorry, too expensive.

£100 (25%) more and no remote as standard. I really wanted one but 25% more is not acceptable.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinny57

Exchange rates people - not exactly Apple's fault...

One of Apple's excuses for the UK's already high mark-up was protection against currency fluctuation. Notice how they don't pass on the savings when the pound is strong (i.e. when the US saw an Apple TV price cut) but do pass on the extra cost when the pound is weak? These tactics remind me of the oil companies.

Ultimately, Apple are free to charge what they like. I'm also free to go buy their competitors' products though.
  • Reply 20 of 206
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eggstone View Post

That's shared memory. If you just add memory you can do the same thing. In fact I think OS/X does it automatically.

I'd get the base model but with 4GB and the 250GB drive. This is worth $849 in the Apple store.

The cheapest way to get 4GB / 320 is to start with the "high" model: $899.

I don't see any point in spending $150 on the 2.26GHz CPU. Too little performance difference and probably runs hotter. so more fan noise.

Within a few months, this machine will replace my current desktop Windows PC. The drive is now big enough for me to keep my current Windows installation in a VM. The machine is far smaller and quieter and I expect performance to be comparable on the VM, and better for native Mac apps.