Apple intros new Mac Pro with "Nehalem" Xeon processors

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday introduced its new Mac Pro workstations using Intel's "Nehalem" Xeon processors and an updated system architecture that delivers twice the performance of the previous model.

"The new Mac Pro is a significant upgrade and starts at $300 less than before," said Apple senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing Phil Schiller. "The Mac Pro features an advanced system architecture, new faster processors and our best-ever graphics options to deliver a faster, more powerful system that our professional customers are going to love."

The new machine starts at $2,499 with 2.66GHz Intel Xeon processors with integrated memory controllers. Three channels of 1066 MHz DDR3 ECC memory increase memory bandwidth 2.4 times while lowering memory latency up to 40 percent.

Apple promises three times greater video performance with the NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 graphics card with 512MB of dedicated GDDR3 memory. An ATI Radeon HD 4870 is available as a custom option, and the Mac Pro has a Mini DisplayPort and DVI port, meaning it can support Apple's new LED Cinema Display as well as existing DVI based models including the 30-inch Apple Cinema HD Display.

Other features include:

Four direct-attach cable-free hard drive carriersCapable of up to 4TB internal storageMac Pro RAID card optionalExceeds current Energy Star 4.0 and future Energy Star 5.0 requirementsHighly recyclable aluminum enclosureInterior designed to be more material-efficientPVC-free internal cables and componentsNo brominated flame retardantsAchieves EPEAT Gold status

Specifications

Quad-core Mac Pro ($2,499):

one 2.66 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 3500 series processors with 8MB of L3 cache3GB of 1066 MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM memory, expandable up to 8GBNVIDIA GeForce GT 120 graphics with 512MB of GDDR3 memory640GB Serial ATA 3GB/s hard drive running at 7200 rpm18x SuperDrive with double-layer support (DVD+/-R DL/DVD+/-RW/CD-RW)Mini DisplayPort and DVI (dual-link) for video output (adapters sold separately)four PCI Express 2.0 slotsfive USB 2.0 ports and four FireWire 800 portsBluetooth 2.1+EDRShips with Apple Keyboard with numerical keypad and Mighty Mouse

8-core Mac Pro ($3,299):

two 2.26 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 5500 series processors with 8MB of shared L3 cache6GB of 1066 MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM memory, expandable up to 32GBNVIDIA GeForce GT 120 graphics with 512MB of GDDR3 memory640GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s hard drive running at 7200 rpm18x SuperDrive with double-layer support (DVD+/-R DL/DVD+/-RW/CD-RW)Mini DisplayPort and DVI (dual-link) for video output (adapters sold separately)four PCI Express 2.0 slotsfive USB 2.0 ports and four FireWire 800 portsBluetooth 2.1+EDRShips with Apple Keyboard with numerical keypad and Mighty Mouse

Build to order options and accessories:

One 2.93 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon processor for the quad-core Mac ProTwo 2.66 GHz or two 2.93 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon processors for the 8-core Mac ProUp to 8GB for the quad-core Mac Pro, up to 32GB for the 8-core Mac Pro of 1066MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM memoryUp to four 1TB Serial ATA hard drives running at 7200 rpmMac Pro RAID cardUp to two 18x SuperDrives with double-layer supportATI Radeon HD 4870 graphics with 512MB of GDDR5 memoryAirPort Extreme(R) 802.11nApple KeyboardApple Wireless KeyboardApple Wireless Mighty MouseMac OS X Server Leopard

Pricing and Availability

The new Mac Pro will be available next week through the online Apple Store, Apple Retail Stores, and authorized resellers.

The new quad-core Mac Pro is priced at $2,499 while the 8-core model starts at $3,299.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 506
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple on Tuesday introduced its new Mac Pro workstations using Intel's "Nehalem" Xeon processors and an updated system architecture that delivers twice the performance of the previous model.

"The new Mac Pro is a significant upgrade and starts at $300 less than before," said Apple senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing Phil Schiller. "The Mac Pro features an advanced system architecture, new faster processors and our best-ever graphics options to deliver a faster, more powerful system that our professional customers are going to love."

The new machine starts at $2,499 with 2.66GHz Intel Xeon processors with integrated memory controllers. Three channels of 1066 MHz DDR3 ECC memory increase memory bandwidth 2.4 times while lowering memory latency up to 40 percent.

Apple promises three times greater performance with the NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 graphics card with 512MB of GDDR3 memory. An ATI Radeon HD 4870 is available as a custom option, and the Mac Pro has a Mini DisplayPort and DVI port, meaning it can support Apple's new LED Cinema Display as well as existing DVI based models including the 30-inch Apple Cinema HD Display.

Other features include:

Four direct-attach cable-free hard drive carriers

Capable of up to 4TB internal storage

Mac Pro RAID card optional

Exceeds current Energy Star 4.0 and future Energy Star 5.0 requirements

Highly recyclable aluminum enclosure

Interior designed to be more material-efficient

PVC-free internal cables and components

No brominated flame retardants

Achieves EPEAT Gold status

Specifications

Quad-core Mac Pro ($2,499):

one 2.66 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 3500 series processors with 8MB of L3 cache

3GB of 1066 MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM memory, expandable up to 8GB

NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 graphics with 512MB of GDDR3 memory

640GB Serial ATA 3GB/s hard drive running at 7200 rpm

18x SuperDrive with double-layer support (DVD+/-R DL/DVD+/-RW/CD-RW)

Mini DisplayPort and DVI (dual-link) for video output (adapters sold separately)

four PCI Express 2.0 slots

five USB 2.0 ports and four FireWire 800 ports

Bluetooth 2.1+EDR

Ships with Apple Keyboard with numerical keypad and Mighty Mouse

8-core Mac Pro ($3,299):

two 2.26 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 5500 series processors with 8MB of shared L3 cache

6GB of 1066 MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM memory, expandable up to 32GB

NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 graphics with 512MB of GDDR3 memory

640GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s hard drive running at 7200 rpm

18x SuperDrive with double-layer support (DVD+/-R DL/DVD+/-RW/CD-RW)

Mini DisplayPort and DVI (dual-link) for video output (adapters sold separately)

four PCI Express 2.0 slots

five USB 2.0 ports and four FireWire 800 ports

Bluetooth 2.1+EDR

Ships with Apple Keyboard with numerical keypad and Mighty Mouse

Build to order options and accessories:

One 2.93 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon processor for the quad-core Mac Pro

Two 2.66 GHz or two 2.93 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon processors for the 8-core Mac Pro

Up to 8GB for the quad-core Mac Pro, up to 32GB for the 8-core Mac Pro of 1066MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM memory

Up to four 1TB Serial ATA hard drives running at 7200 rpm

Mac Pro RAID card

Up to two 18x SuperDrives with double-layer support

ATI Radeon HD 4870 graphics with 512MB of GDDR5 memory

AirPort Extreme(R) 802.11n

Apple Keyboard

Apple Wireless Keyboard

Apple Wireless Mighty Mouse

Mac OS X Server Leopard

Pricing and Availability

The new Mac Pro will be available next week through the online Apple Store, Apple Retail Stores, and authorized resellers.

The new quad-core Mac Pro is priced at $2,499 while the 8-core model starts at $3,299.

Is this machine really worth its price tag compaired to the previous '8-cores as standard' generation?

Personally, i think not.
  • Reply 2 of 506
    utisnum1utisnum1 Posts: 138member
    The updates should have been out about 8 months ago, this is nothing big.
  • Reply 3 of 506
    Maybe, but I don't understand why you felt it necessary to quote the entire first post just to let us know that.
  • Reply 4 of 506
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Would have been a good update if not for massive price increases.
  • Reply 5 of 506
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
  • Reply 6 of 506
    markbmarkb Posts: 153member
    I guess we will have to see some benchmarks before we comment on value. I have a 8x 2.8 with a Nvidia 8800 Gt in it. It only cost $5800 with 30" display. Pricing the same options bumps its to $7000 with this model as near as I can tell. The upgrade from 8x 2.2ghz to 8x 2.6ghz is $1400!!!

One interesting thing is they completely took out ANY professional graphics card options. I do some work with CUDA and the gt 120 (rebranded 9500 from what I understand) is a downgrade from the 8800 I think. I would go for the ATI product but no CUDA.
  • Reply 7 of 506
    tony1tony1 Posts: 259member
    Well at-least I'm excited. I'm going 8-core 2.66. Can't wait any longer...Yippeeeee!
  • Reply 8 of 506
    davebarnesdavebarnes Posts: 367member
    $2500 for a Mac Pro or $2200 for an iMac.

Both limited to 8GB of memory.

iMac includes display.

Mac Pro is expandable with video and disks.

My personal feeling is: buy the iMac and buy a new one in 2 years instead of expanding your Mac Pro. Especially as you will be able to sell your used iMac for $1000 USD.
  • Reply 9 of 506
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UTisNUM1 View Post

The updates should have been out about 8 months ago, this is nothing big.

Aren't these chips brand new ones? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought these chips didn't EXIST eight months ago.
  • Reply 10 of 506
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post

$2500 for a Mac Pro or $2200 for an iMac.

Both limited to 8GB of memory.

iMac includes display.

Mac Pro is expandable with video and disks.

My personal feeling is: buy the iMac and buy a new one in 2 years instead of expanding your Mac Pro. Especially as you will be able to sell your used iMac for $1000 USD.

You can upgrade the Mac Pro to 32GB of memory, not 8GB.
  • Reply 11 of 506
    ...that with current economic conditions, even high-end Mac Pro buyers are cutting back. They are of course, free to do what they like but these incredible price increases look like a great way to shrink Mac Pro sales.

Maybe this is their intention. \
  • Reply 12 of 506
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Damn, the single CPU is pricey. It's using a Xeon 3500 and they have the price points as the regular Core i7s.

I'm really shocked about the prices. You can buy or build a faster Core i7 for half that. And only 8GB of RAM? Even the 4 slot Intel board supports up to 16GB. I think you can probably put in 4GB DIMMs in there and get 16GB. I hope.
  • Reply 13 of 506
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Would have been a good update if not for massive price increases.

Bingo. Five hundred bucks more for eight cores, and Apple is flat out lying to say the cheapest model dropped $300 - there was already a BTO quad at that price, and comparing to the old $2799 model is bogus when it's a downgrade to HALF the cores.

Huge disappointment, I was planning on buying one of these the second they were announced because I never expected a gigantic price increase. Now I have to think long and hard - I have to admit a hackintosh is looking pretty good right now.

So is there a price drop on the previous gen quads? I don't see them listed on apple's website.
  • Reply 14 of 506
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UTisNUM1 View Post

You can upgrade the Mac Pro to 32GB of memory, not 8GB.

I think he's referring to the single CPU model.
  • Reply 15 of 506
    I figured that, that was my mistake. That actually does suck. Why take away the expandability options for the Mac Pro? That doesn't make much sense, especially for a Professional Machine.
  • Reply 16 of 506
    drboardrboar Posts: 477member
    While the nehalem 2.66 is quite a bit faster then the old one introducing a new quad core for the same price as the octacore
  • Reply 17 of 506
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    Maybe this upgrade is meant to make those who already bought a MacPro feel better...

I know I do
  • Reply 18 of 506
    I paid nearly $2500 for my Dual 1.8 G5, with the Nvidia Ultra card...

The stock 4-core Mac Pro seems like a slamming machine for the same price...
  • Reply 19 of 506
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    As usual, all you people do is complain.
  • Reply 20 of 506
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Maybe this upgrade is meant to make those who already bought a MacPro feel better...

I know I do

Yes, I do too! Especially since I bought my 8-core the day it was announced about 14 months ago... I'm all for progressing the new machines, but it is also nice to have the "latest and greatest." This update, (and price increase) doesn't make me feel so bad...