Georgetown Apple Store in DC moves closer to reality (rendering)

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
After five sets of plans for a proposed Apple retail store in Washington D.C. were shot down, the Old Georgetown Board has finally given Apple its stamp of approval on a design that it feels will best fit into the surrounding neighborhood.

The store would be located at 1229 Wisconsin Ave in Washington D.C.'s historic Georgetown district, just a few blocks north of the Potomac River and two miles west of the White House.

The Old Georgetown Board had previously ruled against four aesthetic designs brought before it by Apple representatives, arguing that they didn't conform with the "federal-style structures" in the area. However, the Washington Post is reporting that the fifth and most recent proposal seems to have mitigated those concerns.

The new design sports an attractive, glass storefront that more appropriately blends in with the surrounding shopping area, which includes some of the usual chains like Nine West, Bebe, United Colors of Benetton, Abercrombie & Fitch, and American Eagle.

This image, courtesy of Google, shows how the brick building with white trim and ground-floor windows most recently appeared. Seen from across the street, the location sits at a T-intersection where Prospect Street meets Wisconsin Ave.

The Georgetown Metropolitan adds to the story by providing a look at the new design. An artist's rendition suggests the existing structure would be shortened and a pair of columns removed, leading to a more airy appearance, complete with an nearly all-glass first-floor facade.

"The project has gotten a lot better," a board member told Apple architect Karl Backus. "I applaud your efforts."

Apple still has another hurdle to clear before the permits and construction phase can begin: the U.S. Commission of Fine Arts must sign off on the proposal, which is expected to happen since a refusal to do so would overrule the same Old Georgetown Board it happens to oversee.

According to the Post, an Apple representative said no timetable has been established for beginning construction, let alone the grand opening. The newspaper adds that opposition to the project from residents and preservationists has been met with residents, business owners and local political leaders eyeing the lucrative windfall the store is expected to bring to the area.

The Georgetown Advisory Neighborhood Commission also approved the design earlier this week, reports ifoAppleStore.

The latest design was submitted last month.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Go Apple! Great location- if anyone can afford Macs or anything these days it's politicians and rich students!
  • Reply 2 of 24
    tetzel1517tetzel1517 Posts: 204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Go Apple! Great location- if anyone can afford Macs or anything these days it's politicians!

Don't forget the wealthy (parents of) Georgetown students (and GW students, too)!

But, yeah, DC is one of the most recession-proof places around (though in this mega-recession, you can feel the pinch somewhat). That said, I'll probably still go to the Pentagon City store, because it's on the Metro and I used to work there. Still, this is very encouraging.
  • Reply 3 of 24
    kerrybkerryb Posts: 270member
    I don't get it that building looks like it was built or at least renovated in the 1980's. The scale of the arched second level window is something found in most Mc Mansions, the Apple redesign makes the building look like it has been there for 100 years and not 25.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    I still don't understand why Apple doesn't just keep that original facade like most renovators in this situation do. It's way better looking and has a much more prominent spot for the Apple logo.

It's usually cheaper to blow up the building, save the facade and insert modern building behind and it's almost standard procedure for these kinds of things where I live.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    donlphidonlphi Posts: 214member
    Isn't Apple laying off employees? I'm shocked that even as well as Apple seems to be doing in this economy they are still thinking about opening another store.

Good for them, but another store doesn't seem like a necessity.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    mrjoec123mrjoec123 Posts: 223member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donlphi View Post

Isn't Apple laying off employees? I'm shocked that even as well as Apple seems to be doing in this economy they are still thinking about opening another store.

Apple doesn't build a store until they are 99.9999% certain it will be profitable. This store will employ several people and make Apple money. Even if Apple were laying people off (and I've heard nothing to suggest they were), this store would still be a good idea.

Apple Retail is the fastest growing retail chain in history for a reason. Ron Johnson knows what he's doing, believe me.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kerryb View Post

I don't get it that building looks like it was built or at least renovated in the 1980's. The scale of the arched second level window is something found in most Mc Mansions, the Apple redesign makes the building look like it has been there for 100 years and not 25.

I think you have the two switched, at least in my opinion, the new one looks way too austere to be a design that's 100+ years old. The rendering looks pretty bland to me, and it doesn't really hit what I would think of as "federal style".
  • Reply 8 of 24
    Quote:

Isn't Apple laying off employees?

They are? I'm certainly not aware of this. I haven't seen any news about headcount reductions.
  • Reply 9 of 24
    kerrybkerryb Posts: 270member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I think you have the two switched, at least in my opinion, the new one looks way too austere to be a design that's 100+ years old. The rendering looks pretty bland to me, and it doesn't really hit what I would think of as "federal style".

My building here in New York City was built circa 1840 and around 1900 the facade was "updated" with federal style architectural details similar to the Apple redesign. A modest building of 1890-1900 would not have columns arched windows and other Beaux-arts adornment. The existing building is ugly, awkward and shopping mall-esque with its random use of post-modern cliché's.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    ireality85ireality85 Posts: 316member
    Quote:

the Apple redesign makes the building look like it has been there for 100 years and not 25.

I think that's the point...

What's interesting is that it appears that Apple wants to lop off the top floor of the building, which is a pretty major redesign. Also, why is the Georgetown board so concerned with "federal style" when its evident the current facade is anything but, as are the two adjacent buildings. Hmmm
  • Reply 11 of 24
    Quote:

Isn't Apple laying off employees?

Nope.

Quote:

I'm shocked that even as well as Apple seems to be doing in this economy they are still thinking about opening another store.

The stores sell a heck of a lot of product.

Quote:

Not if you want to make money.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    What a coincidence - downturn hits even Georgetown, suddenly the historical geeks get a little more flexible about what they'll put up with from their tenants. Weird!
  • Reply 13 of 24
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Quote:

They are apparently laying off employees, but I believe they are enterprise sales people. They don't work in Apple Retail Stores. Apple has stated many times before they don't intend to lay anyone off as they worked very hard to get the talent they have and it would be foolish to just let them go. Its not like Apple is strapped for cash or anything ($29 Billion in the bank w/$0 in debt!!!).
  • Reply 14 of 24
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

So far, Apple has yet to close a store, and there hasn't been news of layoffs that I recall.

Maybe the stores are too new, but last I read, they are at the top of their industry in terms of profitability. Even if this year and next year will be a bit slow, if you can afford to invest in construction or renovation, now is the time to do it for lowest costs, and it will be ready for the rebound. Apple seems to be very deliberate with their site selection.

Not only that, this store was in the works for some time.

Quote:

My building here in New York City was built circa 1840 and around 1900 the facade was "updated" with federal style architectural details similar to the Apple redesign. A modest building of 1890-1900 would not have columns arched windows and other Beaux-arts adornment. The existing building is ugly, awkward and shopping mall-esque with its random use of post-modern cliché's.

Doesn't this new design also use columns? The rendering is pretty crude, but it looks like there are four of them.

I'm not a student of architecture, but the design looks like a B with a capital bland to me. I suppose that's up for interpretation, but at least, I'd think that a clearer rendering should have been made, that, I can say with reasonable certainty, looks worse than rendering from early '90s software.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    mdcatmdcat Posts: 79member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrjoec123 View Post

Apple doesn't build a store until they are 99.9999% certain it will be profitable. This store will employ several people and make Apple money. Even if Apple were laying people off (and I've heard nothing to suggest they were), this store would still be a good idea.

Apple Retail is the fastest growing retail chain in history for a reason. Ron Johnson knows what he's doing, believe me.

Traffic in Georgetown is heavy at the best of times and parking is scarce even

for downtown Washington. Contrast this to the Apple stores in suburban Washington

malls, where there is plenty of parking (less so in the downtown Bethesda store)
  • Reply 16 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdcat View Post

Traffic in Georgetown is heavy at the best of times and parking is scarce even

for downtown Washington. Contrast this to the Apple stores in suburban Washington

malls, where there is plenty of parking (less so in the downtown Bethesda store)

Who cares? You do realize that Georgetown is the most expensive retail area in the region for a reason, and it isn't because all those other stores have trouble getting people to their door. You think every other store does well and Apple will do badly because they can't find a parking space?
  • Reply 17 of 24
    citycity Posts: 522member
    It looks like a small store. I don't see any stairs inside. Either you can see the sky through the upper windows or the glass reflect the sky.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    Great! But had they bought the Benetton store it would've been better, being on M Street is key in Georgetown.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Great! But had they bought the Benetton store it would've been better, being on M Street is key in Georgetown.

While that's true to an extent, I don't imagine the leases on the corner of Wisconsin and M come cheap or are available often. Plus, while yes, M St is key, being on Wisconsin is also a very good location and is visible from that intersection, and we all know that Apple will draw people from M like a magnet. I bet the businesses around there are thanking their lucky stars that they are going to gain such foot traffic.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    emceeenemceeen Posts: 2member
    The second story sky "windows" will be beautiful. An interesting architectural comment from Apple.