What is the Apple system font?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I'm replacing my Apple menu bar clock with PTHClock. The PTHClock default font setting of Lucida Grande 14.0 pt regular doesn't look quite right (shadow turned off). I looked in the Apple KB and actually coulnd't find the font info for the system font.

What are the Apple system font and font size?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    It's Lucida Grande 13 point. Close.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    [quote]Originally posted by BuonRotto:

<strong>It's Lucida Grande 13 point. Close. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Hmmm.... That doesn't seem quite right either. It's as if the default font of Lucida Grande 14 regular is correct, but in PTHClock it looks as if it's slightly bolded, although the app preferences say that it's regular text. Also, I noticed that PHTClock changes about a split second prior to the Apple menu bar clock. I assume that they'd both change at the same time, but no dice. Thanks.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    It *is* Lucida Grande 13. Trust me. Just open Interface Bulder or the HI Guidelines to see for yourself.

In menus, the bold version is ONLY used in the application menu. Furthermore, I don't think 14 is used anywhere system-wide.

[ 10-31-2002: Message edited by: Brad ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 7
    [quote]Originally posted by Brad:

<strong>It *is* Lucida Grande 13. Trust me. Just open Interface Bulder or the HI Guidelines to see for yourself.

In menus, the bold version is ONLY used in the application menu. Furthermore, I don't think 14 is used anywhere system-wide.

[ 10-31-2002: Message edited by: Brad ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

It must be a problem with PTHClock then. When I use the PTHClock preferences to specify Lucida Grande 13 it results in a menu bar clock that is noticably smaller than the regular Apple menu bar clock. On the other hand, setting the PTHClock preferences to Lucida Grande 14 results in a near, but not exact, match to the regular Apple menu bar clock. I'll contact PTHClock to see if I can get an answer. Thanks.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Ermmmm.....why do you have the two clocks next to each other? If you want to use PTH clock, couldn't you just turn off the Apple menu bar clock? That's what I do with PTH clock, and it works fine. Or, if you need to have both clocks next to each other for some reason, then just turn off the seconds display, and it wont matter that PTH clock and Apple's clock don't update at EXACTLY the same moment.

Eh, I bet you look before you flush! he he, j/k!

Also, I think the reason PTH Clock's font is all dorked out is because it puts a shadow behind it.

PTH clock is a sweet app, BTW. Handy calendar, and I like being able to customize the clock's font and color for groovy viewing. Dig it!
  • Reply 6 of 7
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    Can't be moved manually in the menu bar

=

bye-bye PHPClock!
  • Reply 7 of 7
    [quote]Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg:

<strong>Ermmmm.....why do you have the two clocks next to each other? If you want to use PTH clock, couldn't you just turn off the Apple menu bar clock? That's what I do with PTH clock, and it works fine. Or, if you need to have both clocks next to each other for some reason, then just turn off the seconds display, and it wont matter that PTH clock and Apple's clock don't update at EXACTLY the same moment.

Eh, I bet you look before you flush! he he, j/k!

Also, I think the reason PTH Clock's font is all dorked out is because it puts a shadow behind it.

PTH clock is a sweet app, BTW. Handy calendar, and I like being able to customize the clock's font and color for groovy viewing. Dig it!</strong><hr></blockquote>

I like to have two clocks - one set for New Delhi, India and the second set for Chicago. And yes, I can always turn off the Apple menu bar clock but I want to know both times at a glance. Seconds are already turned off as is the PTHClock shadow. I tried contacting the PTHClock folks but both of my emails bounced back. Regardless, PTHClock is what the Apple menu bar clock should be.