Do the new iPods sort by Album Artist?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
As far as I know, my old iPod mini displays every permutation of an Artist tag as a separate Artist when browsing regardless of what the Album Artist is set to, which is terribly annoying.

That is,

TITLE. Price you pay

ARTIST: UNKLE

ALBUM ARTIST: UNKLE

ALBUM: War Stories

TITLE: Burn my shadow

ARTIST: UNKLE feat. Ian Astbury

will show up as two entries ("UNKLE" and "UNKLE feat. Ian Astbury") when browsing by Artist, which makes it necessary to browse by Album to be able to play the whole album. Is this the case for the new iPods as well? I know the iPhone can't handle this properly.

I'm thinking of buying one, but if this still is the case, it's pretty much unusable.

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zandros View Post

As far as I know, my old iPod mini displays every permutation of an Artist tag as a separate Artist when browsing regardless of what the Album Artist is set to, which is terribly annoying.

That is,

TITLE. Price you pay

TITLE: Burn my shadow

ARTIST: UNKLE feat. Ian Astbury

will show up as two entries ("UNKLE" and "UNKLE feat. Ian Astbury") when browsing by Artist, which makes it necessary to browse by Album to be able to play the whole album. Is this the case for the new iPods as well? I know the iPhone can't handle this properly.

I'm thinking of buying one, but if this still is the case, it's pretty much unusable.

Thanks.

Why not just change it to this, as I do?:

TITLE: Burn my shadow (feat. Ian Astbury)

• Reply 2 of 2
    zandroszandros Posts: 537member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Why not just change it to this, as I do?:

TITLE: Burn my shadow (feat. Ian Astbury)

I'd prefer to not mess up my tags. iTunes 8 was a great upgrade in this regard, but the iPods didn't seem to follow suit.