Get an iphone wet, no phone for you for 18 months

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I was told something disturbing at my local Apple Store yesterday. New AT&T iphone customers that damage their phones with water cannot purchase a new iphone for 18 months. WTF??!! I didn't think this would be possibly true. I searched this forum to find any information but I'm not finding anything to validate this. Has anyone heard of the as well?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    omg

then all upset with exclusive deals please do
  • Reply 2 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    It's not true, you can buy a Pay as you Go model and use your contract sim card in it. What they probably mean is that the phone is subsidized by contract so unless you buy a new handset, you will be paying up your contract without a replacement phone. You do get insurance for the iphone that covers accidental damage including water damage.

It's not cheap buying a Pay as you Go model though in the worst case scenario.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    mrochestermrochester Posts: 700member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

It's not true, you can buy a Pay as you Go model and use your contract sim card in it. What they probably mean is that the phone is subsidized by contract so unless you buy a new handset, you will be paying up your contract without a replacement phone. You do get insurance for the iphone that covers accidental damage including water damage.

It's not cheap buying a Pay as you Go model though in the worst case scenario.

I didn't even think there was a PAYG iPhone in the US.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

I didn't even think there was a PAYG iPhone in the US.

I think it was only available to people who failed a credit check:

http://g4pp.blogspot.com/2007/07/iph...e-prepaid.html

Not really sure how it works though. They might have tightened up their policy since then - possibly this is where the in-store activations come from.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    What happens if you send it to Apple as a non-warranty repair?

Would they give you a replacement unit at a certain cost?

I've seen them do this with smashed screens.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    You have to understand you have a subsidized phone. AT&T has paid for half of the phone. To prevent people from jumping subsidized phones in the middle of their contract, you have to live out 18 months of your contract before you can purchase another subsidized phone.