Network Time Server

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
The clock battery died on my PowerBook. My solution was to use the network time server so my clock would automatically be set to the correct time each time I turn my PowerBook on. 95% of the time I connect using wireless.

However, when I start up many times, the clock will not be set to the correct time. I will open the system preferences and the checkbox for "use a network time server" will be unchecked, despite the fact that I checked it last time I was using the computer. Even checking it and clicking the lock to prevent further changes will not prevent it from becoming un-checked after 1 or 2 restarts. This is very frustrating for me. Anybody have any ideas on how to fix this?

Oh, my laptop's internal battery charger blew up a few months ago, so I stopped using the battery with my laptop because I cannot recharge it anymore. That is why the time gets lost now that the clock battery is burned out.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    vasuvasu Posts: 26member
    The internal battery keeps power to the PRAM. The PRAM keeps track of such things as system preferences.

So since the pram has no power when you turn the machine off, it's losing the setting to use a network time server.

There's also a chance that it could be a corrupted preference (plist) or a cache file. Look in your /Libary/Preferences and ~/Library/Preferences folder for a date and time plist and delete it.

Also, grab Jaguar Cache Cleaner to delete any possibly corrupted cachce files.

If that doesn't work, then it's because the pram has no power to save those settings.

[quote]Originally posted by rogue27:

<strong>The clock battery died on my PowerBook. My solution was to use the network time server so my clock would automatically be set to the correct time each time I turn my PowerBook on. 95% of the time I connect using wireless.

However, when I start up many times, the clock will not be set to the correct time. I will open the system preferences and the checkbox for "use a network time server" will be unchecked, despite the fact that I checked it last time I was using the computer. Even checking it and clicking the lock to prevent further changes will not prevent it from becoming un-checked after 1 or 2 restarts. This is very frustrating for me. Anybody have any ideas on how to fix this?

Oh, my laptop's internal battery charger blew up a few months ago, so I stopped using the battery with my laptop because I cannot recharge it anymore. That is why the time gets lost now that the clock battery is burned out.</strong><hr></blockquote>
  • Reply 2 of 2
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    I was under the belief that the newer powerbooks had no internal "clock" battery. The clock battery was the rechargeable PowerBook battery which powers the entire computer. So if this is the case, it's probably corrupt power settings which can be disposed by resetting the power manager.