Current iPhone and 2009 iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Has anyone read what the new iPhone this summer will have that the current iPhone doesn't?

Is it worth the wait?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    I`ve heard that the new iphone its gonna have only little adjustments like a battery with more duration hours because the actual is really bad, you cant do anything because the battery get lower quickly.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    smilingoatsmilingoat Posts: 153member
    im sure that dropped calls will be less of a problem. slightly longer battery life as well.

what im mostly hoping for is true GPS, scratch resistant backside, and for the love of god give us a 32GB version for what the 16GB cost now. it does not need to get any thinner, so i'd like them to use the space for a bigger/better battery and more flash storage.

im pretty sure i'll be getting the iPhone again come the end of the summer (i'll have to buy it without a contract though, as my 2 year contract does not end until June 2010.)

when i owned my 3G it was by far the best device on the market, but as a phone it did not work well... but ive been over that before.

im confident that by the time the new one is released there will have been enough updates that it should be working just fine.

last thing that i would like to see, that has nothing to do with apple, is a price reduction in the monthly service plans. i think its a real possibility considering T-Mobile and Sprints new monthly fees (quite a bit lower than ATT/Verizon) i hope that in the next 5 months a lot of business will go their way, just to put some pressure on the big guys. they are over charging... it would be nice to see TXT messaging included in the $30 unlimited Data plan, it costs them pretty much nothing to offer the feature, so they need to cut prices on all phones, and just included it for those that buy the newer more expensive data plans (txt messaging is just data transfers, its just like going on the web, but it costs about $1300 a MB if they charged by the data transfer)
  • Reply 3 of 9
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SmilinGoat View Post

what im mostly hoping for is true GPS

Where are you getting the concept of "true GPS"? There is no such thing.

Quote:

last thing that i would like to see, that has nothing to do with apple, is a price reduction in the monthly service plans. i think its a real possibility considering T-Mobile and Sprints new monthly fees (quite a bit lower than ATT/Verizon) )

Sprint and T-Mobile have to have extremely competitive prices to stay in business. Sprint is loosing hundreds of thousands of subscribers every month, T-Mobile isn't growing as nearly as fast as AT&T or Verizon. These price reductions are putting no pressure on AT&T or Verizon.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Where are you getting the concept of "true GPS"? There is no such thing.

Sprint and T-Mobile have to have extremely competitive prices to stay in business. Sprint is loosing hundreds of thousands of subscribers every month, T-Mobile isn't growing as nearly as fast as AT&T or Verizon. These price reductions are putting no pressure on AT&T or Verizon.

you completely missed the point of the price war, it often starts with the smaller corporations needing to compete with the larger ones, and they slowly chip away until they are equal, or near equal... look at Kia as an example. of course the *need* to do it, but that does not mean they wont be successful and wont ultimately effect the market.

As for "true GPS" i meant it as a GPS that works as well as other phones, turn by turn directions with voice, something you get with several other cell phones, or something like a tom tom, what is in the iPhone is OK, but it could be better, and they might as well make it better, hell if they make it better than thats just one more reason to buy the phone, it replaces yet one more device and saves you another $200. how did you not assume that?
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:

you completely missed the point of the price war, it often starts with the smaller corporations needing to compete with the larger ones, and they slowly chip away until they are equal, or near equal... look at Kia as an example. of course the *need* to do it, but that does not mean they wont be successful and wont ultimately effect the market.

Sprint and T-Mobile are not chipping away at AT&T or Verizon at all. No one is leaving AT&T or Verizon to be on Sprint or T-Mobile.

Quote:

As for "true GPS" i meant it as a GPS that works as well as other phones, turn by turn directions

Oh you mean turn by turn directions. To call that "true GPS" isn't accurate. GPS wasn't originally designed to give phones turn by turn directions. Directions have become an extension of GPS technology.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:

Sprint and T-Mobile are not chipping away at AT&T or Verizon at all. No one is leaving AT&T or Verizon to be on Sprint or T-Mobile.

Oh you mean turn by turn directions. To call that "true GPS" isn't accurate. GPS wasn't originally designed to give phones turn by turn directions. Directions have become an extension of GPS technology.

well they just started lowering prices 2 weeks ago, this is new, will it work? not sure, could it work? obviously, they are undercutting them by $30-50 on the high end plans, right now its just in California, and they did get a lot of press for it, this isnt outside of california yet, so if it starts to work, which it could, expect it to go nation wide, the second that happens expect them to at least get a small handful of new customers. also phones like the G1 have got people to go from both Verizon and ATT, so yes there are some customers doing it, just not a huge amount... yet?

as for the GPS thing, yes. thats what i meant, now go into any store and ask if they have GPS, 99% of the time they will show you and try to sell you something taht gives you turn by turn directions, a few years ago (5 maybe) it was different, but today, its expected, i guess i should have said "proper GPS" as in a modern GPS system.

dont get me wrong my iPhone was good enough to get me to my girlfriends sisters apartment when i was lost downtown Boston one night, but other phones ive used have had more accurate directions, so they might as well beef it up a bit.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:

well they just started lowering prices 2 weeks ago, this is new, will it work? not sure, could it work? obviously, they are undercutting them by $30-50 on the high end plans, right now its just in California, and they did get a lot of press for it, this isnt outside of california yet, so if it starts to work, which it could, expect it to go nation wide, the second that happens expect them to at least get a small handful of new customers. also phones like the G1 have got people to go from both Verizon and ATT, so yes there are some customers doing it, just not a huge amount... yet?

Nah it won't make much difference. Ultimately the problem is that Sprint and T-Mobile don't have the most popular phones or the most popular service. I'm sure T-Mobile is looking for a popular phone it can push and Sprint is looking forward to the Palm Pre.

No T-Mobile isn't gaining any significant number of subscribers from other carriers. This past quarter T-mobile added 621,000 subscribers. Verizon added 1.4 million, AT&T added 2.1 million. Sprint lost 1.3 million.

Quote:

as for the GPS thing, yes. thats what i meant, now go into any store and ask if they have GPS, 99% of the time they will show you and try to sell you something taht gives you turn by turn directions, a few years ago (5 maybe) it was different, but today, its expected, i guess i should have said "proper GPS" as in a modern GPS system.

Its true from a consumer perspective they are talking about turn by turn when they think of GPS, but there are many GPS devices that only give latitude and longitude coordinates, which is what GPS was originally invented to do.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

Nah it won't make much difference. Ultimately the problem is that Sprint and T-Mobile don't have the most popular phones or the most popular service. I'm sure T-Mobile is looking for a popular phone it can push and Sprint is looking forward to the Palm Pre.

No T-Mobile isn't gaining any significant number of subscribers from other carriers. This past quarter T-mobile added 621,000 subscribers. Verizon added 1.4 million, AT&T added 2.1 million. Sprint lost 1.3 million.

Its true from a consumer perspective they are talking about turn by turn when they think of GPS, but there are many GPS devices that only give latitude and longitude coordinates, which is what GPS was originally invented to do.

well again, you'll have to wait for T-Mobiles plan to pan out before you start seeing results, the fact that they arnt losing people is good. im not saying it will work, but there is plenty of space in the market for another big player other than ATT/Verizon. also with the expansion of service into even the smallest of towns from pretty much all of the big cell companies (mostly through partnerships) it will likely be that we no longer have to worry about going with ATT or Verizon just to make sure we get service when we go visit home during holidays. its going to be more about features, services, and price. T-Mobile isnt going anywhere soon, and if they play their cards right they could have a pretty good comeback, ive liked a lot of the ideas they have had in the past (like free skype sytle phone at home with T-Mobile phones) but yes, they will need to be able to lure in these good devices, which will be tricky.

and i know what a GPS is, i have used them for a long time on my families fishing boat, but this being a tech forum, i assumed people would think of what most people call a GPS unit in todays world.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    f1turbof1turbo Posts: 257member
    Do other phones give turn by turn directions without paying the carrier's monthly fees? The iPhone is the first phone I've had with a GPS chip in it, so I have no idea. I do know that I won't pay a monthly charge for GPS.

The current state of the GPS in the iPhone is fine for me. If I want turn by turn directions, I use a stand alone GPS receiver. The iPhone is a nice supplement.