coffee + macbook pro = :-(

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
A friend spilled coffee on her new macbook pro. Most likely it's toast, but there are some interesting things that give me a little hope. Wondering what others think.

The machine POSTs (I hear the bong) and goes to the grey screen with the black spinning wheel (I guess it's checking/loading the filesystem?) After a few seconds the screen flashes with a pop (sort of like a lightbulb burning out) and immediately goes black as the machine powers off.

But, if I put the OS X DVD in the drive and boot from that it boots up. And after doing that, and removing the disc, it will then boot off the internal hard drive as usual. But then after using it for a bit (a day or two,) it will revert to the old behavior described above (start to boot, but then power down with a pop and screen flash.)

Coffee was spilled on the right hand side, which I think might be interesting since the DVD drive seems to have some role in whether the machine will boot or not.

Anyone have any ideas? I was wondering if the boot process is checking the DVD drive when it fails and powers off the machine? Does this happen during boot? Is there any way to disable the DVD drive entirely (so it doesn't get accessed during boot?)

Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    kmac1036kmac1036 Posts: 281member
    Pull the battery & power. hold down the power button for 10-20 sec.

then,

Do the cmd option PR at startup too.

but i would also make sure it's dried out.

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/First-Lo...-Unibody/590/1

Pull the battery cover & take the 8 screws out of the remaining cover. there are 2 snap joints that hold it on, 1 on each side of the machine. you can use a flat spudger tool or credit card or drivers license to pop it loose if you wish. otherwise, a good tug on the side should do it.

if you still have booting issues, you should be able to pull the dvd cable from the logic & leave it unhooked.