iDVD help

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
when i try to burn a dvd with idvd it takes forever. like 12 hours, i its a regular length movie.. about 90min give or take, i set the quality to professional as i thought it would be better then high quality and besy quality is too big for a single layer dvd. is there anything else i should do to get this going faster or does everybody else use a different program altogether

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    It can take a long time, no matter what app. It is a lengthy process.

A couple of questions: What Mac are you using? What's the CPU rating? How much RAM do you have? Are you running any other apps at the same time?

For many projects, Best Performance works wonders, as it is encoding in the background while you are working. Yours is a little long for Best Performance, so it will take a while to encode it in one of the other options. The pro setting will take double the time of the High Quality.

I often set my projects to burn overnight, regardless of when I prepare them, then the computer has full go at them. When it's done, it goes to sleep

To check the timing, I just put together a collection of very simple short clips for a total of 95 minutes, wide screen, High Quality and pressed Burn... even on my MacPro quad-core 2.8 it will take 2 hours to encode, then another while to actually burn the disk. Stopped the burn and switched to Professional: 4 hour 16 minutes (this is a MacPro). A more complicated movie would take longer.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    houseleyhouseley Posts: 147member
    I routinely save as a disk image rather than encode and burn in one step. It allows me to check that everything is as it should be via DVD Player before burning and I can then burn multiple copies from that image at any time without having to encode the project again. I don't keep copies of DVD's for myself usually, just the disk image on a HD (suitable backed up of course).

The burning itself is quite quick, it's the encoding that will kill you, especially on a slow mac.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    ok so my imac is up to date with 10.5.6, 2ghz intel core 2 duo, 1 gb 667mhz ddr2 sdram.. I closed all other apps when i went to start the burn process and it was still encoding last i looked at it but was done when i woke up. I stuck in the movie and it worked great the first 10 minutes and the sound was gone. i went back to the orginal file to double check and its all good.. Any idea why?

a friend of mine was burning disks really quick the one day i was over there, only thing he wasnt using idvd and they wouldnt work in the xbox360 it had to be a "real" dvd player