Dow Jones claims confirmation of Apple netbook

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Sounding more like speculation at best, two anonymous sources have reportedly confirmed to Dow Jones that Apple is planning to launch a touchscreen netbook in the second half of this year.

The report describes the sources only as "two people close to the situation."

One such person claimed the display would be "between 9.7-inches and 10-inches" while the other said specifications and functions are still "under evaluation."

The second source also said Apple is working with Taiwanese display manufacturer Wintek Corp. and the world's largest notebook maker Quanta to assemble the new machines.

The involvement of both companies would seem to corroborate a Commercial Times report that also claimed Wintek is involved.

"Wintek revealed that it is currently working with Apple to develop some new products, but it said it does not know what applications the new products are for," wrote DigiTimes in its coverage. "Wintek added that no shipment schedule has been worked out yet, but shipments are likely to begin in the second half of the year."

Commercial Times also pointed to Quanta as the would-be manufacturer.

As noted yesterday, the move would contradict comments from Apple executives who have downplayed the sub-$600 market for notebooks.

Chief executive Steve Jobs once said it isn't in Apple's DNA to know how to make a computer at such a low price point "that isn't a piece of junk," while operating officer Tim Cook said in January, "It's a category we watch, we've got some ideas here, but right now we think the products are inferior and will not provide an experience to customers they're happy with."

PC World's David Coursey in covering the story wrote, "Forgive me for pointing out the obvious, but the current MacBook Air would seem to fit most definitions of netbook, except for one. Why does Apple need another?"

Coursey went on, "It's a near-perfect netbook, except for one thing: It's way too expensive at its starting price of $1,799. There is nothing wrong with Apple offering a device with a 7-to-9-inch touch screen, perhaps for $600, if the speculation proves out. I just wouldn't call it a netbook."

While other manufacturers are seeing netbook sales growth, Apple could instead be reluctant to enter the low-margin, loss-leader netbook market, given its preference to build high-quality machines with accompanying higher profit margins.

It should also be noted that Dow Jones is not a traditional source of Apple rumors and therefore its track record in predicting future hardware offerings from the Cupertino-based company is close to nonexistent.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 188
    cu10cu10 Posts: 294member
    Bring it.
  • Reply 2 of 188
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    If this really comes to bear, I predict a clamshell unit with an OS (GUI) based on the iPhone but with more power and able to run business apps. It will have to be a clamshell because it needs to have a keyboard. I wouldn't be surprised if the keyboard is virtual. The world will despair at the price but it will be a thing of beauty.
  • Reply 3 of 188
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Why do they keep referring to this as a netbook? Isn't it more of a touch tablet? I doubt that it will have a lid.
  • Reply 4 of 188
    Also isn't that a diss at the MacBook Air - referring to it as a netbook?
  • Reply 5 of 188
    I don't think we will be seeing the launch of this kind of product this year maybe Jan 2010, either they could extend there MacBook Air range with a smaller edition, just like the pc netbooks but much better or do something unique and launch a tablet device which would cross between a bigger iPhone/Netbook...?

I know Apple in the past messed around making PDA's but I think this would be a lot bigger than a PDA for it to meet customer needs.

Love for anyone add to this, put a spin on new ideas...
  • Reply 6 of 188
    Seriously, the only thing that apple has is the Mac Mini which is overpriced. Apple needs a netbook sooner or later. Or Windows 7 will kick their @#%() with its cheap cost.
  • Reply 7 of 188
    At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I'll bet that a midget MacBook Air is most definitely NOT coming.

It will be a pad. A bluetooth physical keyboard might be included or be optional. It won't run full-blown OS/X.

It won't be a clamshell, because clamshells are not good for hand-held use. There has to be a way to get the keyboard completely out of the way, or detached, and to use the device in either portrait or landscape mode.
  • Reply 8 of 188
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Maybe it will be a 10" iPhone - or a replacement for the entire keyboard on a standard notebook -- just kidding.
  • Reply 9 of 188
    I find it interesting that this information was "leaked" to Dow Jones, of all places, which really isn't an all-star in the rumours game. I also noticed that APPL stocks jumped about $4 this morining...
  • Reply 10 of 188
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

If this really comes to bear, I predict a clamshell unit with an OS (GUI) based on the iPhone but with more power and able to run business apps. It will have to be a clamshell because it needs to have a keyboard. I wouldn't be surprised if the keyboard is virtual. The world will despair at the price but it will be a thing of beauty.

This contradicts itself. If the keyboard is virtual, then it doesn't need a physical keyboard and if there is no physical keyboard, then there is no need for the clamshell form factor.

Also, if it is a clamshell, then Apple violates it's own rule of never having sub-sized keyboards that they have repeated many times of late, and if they are going to break that rule, then why not just make the 12" MacBook that everyone has wanted for so long?

Not saying for sure it won't happen, but it seems more likely to me that it's a small tablet with iPhone OS-X and a larger version of the same virtual thumb-type keyboards. I predict it will be released at the same time as a new "super-iPhone" with much more power and multi-tasking and that the two together will redefine the OS (again) as more of a real computing platform. If they manage to pull it off, a tablet like this could be more useful and ultimately more popular than the iPhone IMO.
  • Reply 11 of 188
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Microsoft Windows Fan View Post

Seriously, the only thing that apple has is the Mac Mini which is overpriced. Apple needs a netbook sooner or later. Or Windows 7 will kick their @#%() with its cheap cost.

this is a joke post right?
  • Reply 12 of 188
    lamewinglamewing Posts: 742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alonso Perez View Post

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I'll bet that a midget MacBook Air is most definitely NOT coming.

It will be a pad. A bluetooth physical keyboard might be included or be optional. It won't run full-blown OS/X.

It won't be a clamshell, because clamshells are not good for hand-held use. There has to be a way to get the keyboard completely out of the way, or detached, and to use the device in either portrait or landscape mode.

I agree. My fear is that it will be an overgrown iPod touch with a limited version of OSX. I would hope that Apple would provide a multitouch and stylus (both) based tablet (sans optical drive) that will ship with a full version of OSX. There are some very nice slates out there on the PC side. I could see Apple making a well designed slate.

As long as it isn't too expensive college students would snap them up. Slate + OS X (and Vista for the best handwriting recognition) would be a math/science/engineering student's dream. Standard notebooks don't work well in science-based and math classes for note taking compared to a tablet. I have used a tablet before and once you get over the learning curve they are a dream in a classroom setting....and of course you can add a bluetooth keyboard. I hear that Apple even sells those...
  • Reply 13 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teejaysplace24 View Post

I find it interesting that this information was "leaked" to Dow Jones, of all places, which really isn't an all-star in the rumours game. I also noticed that APPL stocks jumped about $4 this morining...

I doubt there is any relation.
  • Reply 14 of 188
    Here comes round two.....

I am a big fan of all things Apple, but from all places; the Dow Jones?

I am not saying that Apple is not making a netbook. I am just stating that one should not talk about a product unless its been proven a fact

In short, I will believe it when I see it. Thats the thing with Apple products that have not been released yet. You got to learn not to trust the sources that talk about rumors just to get web views to their website.

The Macbook Air is not a netbook!!!

The Macbook Air is an ultra-portable notebook.

go look up the definition for yourself.

I don't think this "netbook" is going to cock-block the other laptops. Netbooks are starting to become popular. Its at a good price-point and its great for college students who are on a tight budget.

Yes companies like Dell have made the netbook "cool" but, I have a felling Apple is going to do it 10xx times better.

Apple is a smart company. they wait until what everybody else makes, watch them fail at it, then come out with a product that blows everything else out of the water.

Examples:

The Sony VAIO TZ: claimed to be the World's thinnest laptop" (before MBA) Sony stated that it was almost impossible to create a laptop thats thinner than the TZ.

-Boom: Apple comes out with the MBA and its more than 50% thinner than the TZ series and has 2x more power than the TZ

If Apple does make a multi-touch netbook, I will buy it in a heartbeat. I think this is going to be the true winner for Apple if this actually happens.

I am not holding my breathe.....
  • Reply 15 of 188
    delete
  • Reply 16 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

I have used a tablet before and once you get over the learning curve they are a dream in a classroom setting....and of course you can add a bluetooth keyboard. I hear that Apple even sells those...

No bluetooth with universal numeric , so I would have to shop elsewhere.

or pull out my good ole white clunker.
  • Reply 17 of 188
    The iPhone and iPod touch are already replacing simple computing tasks. People only pull out the laptop for more 'serious work' or when they really need a bigger display.

So if Apple is going to release a Tablet, it has to be better than the iPhone/iPod touch at precisely those types of work, or it won't make any sense.

A 9" screen is slightly larger than a 5x7 pad. You'd still be zooming and scrolling. You'd still be thumb-typing. That's not going to work. 11" diagonal is about as small as it could be and be more useful at the work people are going back to the laptop for.
  • Reply 18 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jenkman91 View Post

Examples:

The Sony VAIO TZ: claimed to be the World's thinnest laptop" (before MBA) Sony stated that it was almost impossible to create a laptop thats thinner than the TZ.

-Boom: Apple comes out with the MBA and its more than 50% thinner than the TZ series and has 2x more power than the TZ

I am not holding my breathe.....

MBA weighs more, has a high gloss screen, and has too large a foot print, no ports, no HDMI , no firewire, sealed battery, etc, etc- Boom???
  • Reply 19 of 188
    Why not something like this?

http://news.cnet.com/1606-2_3-50005371.html

I really like that idea, and I think Apple could do a really good job with designing the "dock/keyboard" feature...

(this is my first post, but I've been browsing here for ages)
  • Reply 20 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Microsoft Windows Fan View Post

Okay... Do seriously think the Mac mini is overpriced?? I want you to either go to new egg.com or tigerdirect.com and build a mini PC that has the same specs as the Mac mini.

I will help you out:

Mac mini base model:

-2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 duo Processor

-120 GB HDD

-1 GB of DDR3 RAM (no not DDR2)

--8x double-layer SuperDrive That can be swapped out for a SATA drive

NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics-128MB or 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory

-bluetooth 2.1

- WiFi802.11 b,g,n

-One FireWire 800 port (up to 800 Mbps)

-Five USB 2.0 ports (up to 480 Mbps

-Mini-DVI port

-DVI output using Mini-DVI to DVI Adapter (included)

-VGA output using Mini-DVI to VGA Adapter

-Mini DisplayPort output

-and uses less than 13 watts ? that?s 45 percent less energy than any other desktop

-and have an OS pre-installed (Linux does not count)

Final price $599

So please, go build a mini desktop computer that cost at or less than the mac mini with specifications that match or almost match the base price version of the mac mini. Please!!! and if you do comment back. But, I doubt that will happen.

On the other hand, I do agree that it maybe time to go into this new market.

Windows7 is going to be cheap?! HAHAHA good joke, buddy. Last time I checked there is going to be 6 different versions of Windows7, and its going to be in the same price range as VISTA.

Why do I need to make a choice in having to choose from 6 versions of an OS?? That does just does not make any sense at all. OS X has ONE version and does everything right out of the box. I don't understand why Microsoft can't do one version (like OS X) that has all the features.

And don't even tell me the reason for 6 different versions is because Windows has all these "cool features" on it, and they cant fit it all on one disk.

I call BS from a mile away.