What to do with older Mac

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
My new Mac is very close on the horizon. Now, what do I do with my (@2002 or 2003) G4 800 w/Tiger? It has lasted much longer than any PC I've owned.

I don't want to get rid of it. it was my first Mac and I can't part with it. It's still beautiful and works okay since I reinstalled the software and followed suggestions of AI members when I had problems in the recent past.

Oddly, I never felt this way about the many PC's I've had since the early 80's - not even the first one with no hard drive. They're all gone and good riddance.

Any suggestions? What have you guys done with your obsolete (?) Macs?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Pass it onto a close friend or relative? My sister has adopted my Macbook which was my first Mac.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Dude ... get serious for a second, and sell it on eBay. Pocket the cash. Otherwise it will just sit in your closet.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Kitchen computer? Install Linux on it and learn something new? Give it to a family member? Lots of possibilities.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    I think You should need to pack it and place it in your store. if i had this Mac i would sell it to some one
  • Reply 5 of 10
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    I've had some other suggestions from fellow inmates, oops, I mean teachers:

Server; juke box; media center; for use online and keep main computer pristine, etc.

So far, I'm leaning toward PastPresentFuture's Linux suggestion.

However, I strongly suspect that SplineModel is omniscient and the old Mac will end up in a closet gathering dust.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Naw, it'll end up in my study, where old computers go to die.

(Apple //gs, NeXTstation, B/W G3, G4 Cube... and counting...)
  • Reply 7 of 10
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 879member
    Have at least 1 backup computer laying around the house.

If something goes wrong with your main computer and you have access to another one, it's nice to browse the web and shoot question about what's wrong with your main mac.

Just wipe it clean and install 10.4 and update it to 10.4.11, and turn it off, leave it for crashes.

I am using an old G4/533 dual with 2x250GB as a Version Cue Server for CS3... mainly for finalized logo designs, and picts

Just an idea.

Laters...
  • Reply 8 of 10
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    My G4 has served me well, and I will keep it. I'll follow some of your suggestions, and do a little experimenting. Thanks, Rezwits, and other AI members.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    utisnum1utisnum1 Posts: 138member
    I would keep that Mac if i were you. It is a new age Mac, very reliable, very classic.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rezwits View Post

Have at least 1 backup computer laying around the house.

Ever since the Time Capsule came out I've had a real hard time justifying keeping a big, clunky server around.