PowerBook G4 RAM Upgrade

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi. I have a 15" 1.67GHz PowerBook G4 with 512MB of RAM. I just installed Leopard on it and it has been a bit slower ever since. I'm thinking about upgrading the ram because 512mb isn't quite cutting it any more. I have one RAM slot open so, if I were to get another module, how many MB or GB should I get? And where can I get it the cheapest these days?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by been11 View Post

Hi. I have a 15" 1.67GHz PowerBook G4 with 512MB of RAM. I just installed Leopard on it and it has been a bit slower ever since. I'm thinking about upgrading the ram because 512mb isn't quite cutting it any more. I have one RAM slot open so, if I were to get another module, how many MB or GB should I get? And where can I get it the cheapest these days? Thanks

I upgraded similar PB up to 1GB some years ago when Leopard just came out. Folks say the upgrade up to 2GB is theoretically possible. Yet I do not see such a memory on the market.

Memory upgrade will help a bit, but just a little... It's different era now, that of video playback, animation, 3d rendering etc. Bigger memory has little to do with all that. We all need faster processors.

Time Machine needs multi-core/-processor setups badly...
  • Reply 2 of 7
    I added 1GB to my PBG4 and noticed a marked improvement. I had 512MB + one open slot and put a 1GB module in that open slot for a total of 1.5GB.

It still won't play HD video well, but it is faster in general... things like opening multiple apps, iPhoto performance, etc.

CPU intense stuff won't speed up, but you can eliminate a TON of memory paging to the hard drive with general system functions.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    been11been11 Posts: 4member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

I upgraded similar PB up to 1GB some years ago when Leopard just came out. Folks say the upgrade up to 2GB is theoretically possible. Yet I do not see such a memory on the market.

Memory upgrade will help a bit, but just a little... It's different era now, that of video playback, animation, 3d rendering etc. Bigger memory has little to do with all that. We all need faster processors.

Time Machine needs multi-core/-processor setups badly...

Hey there. Thanks for the info.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    been11been11 Posts: 4member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

I added 1GB to my PBG4 and noticed a marked improvement. I had 512MB + one open slot and put a 1GB module in that open slot for a total of 1.5GB.

It still won't play HD video well, but it is faster in general... things like opening multiple apps, iPhoto performance, etc.

CPU intense stuff won't speed up, but you can eliminate a TON of memory paging to the hard drive with general system functions.

Thanks a lot. By any chance, do you know where I can get a 1GB module for a reasonable amount of money? Thanks again.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    I don't know what's around you... but I got mine from Fry's ... on sale for 39 or 49 USD if I remember correctly.

Unfortunately, that PC2700 RAM is not in high demand (therefore not being produced in huge quantities), so the prices are not as low as some newer/faster types.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Does the system recognize all 1.5GB or only the first 1GB?
  • Reply 7 of 7
    all... I know it'll recognize 2GB (2x 1GB modules) as well... not sure about more...