Safari 4 Beta: More evidence of Touch Screen Tablet?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I was thinking about the upcoming 10 inch netpad, possibly coming from Apple in the near future. That led me to this interesting theory I now have about Safari 4 Beta. Two features to be exact ---"Top Sites" and "Coverflow" for history searches. While both of these features are somewhat useful on my traditional Mac, I feel that these were added specifically for this touch screen tablet. Coverflow is ok for visual eye candy on Macs, but is far more useful on the iPhone/iPod Touch. I believe Top Sites will all also be a useful way to go to your favorite sites with ease and speed. Just a thought...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    was no doubt designed having had touchscreens in mind. It's leafing through a book in its nature. I don't believe however Safari itself has anything to do with it.

TopSites is the image wall. And should be better erected upright, as any respectable wall is. Don't believe it would look good on a tablet. It would become a "pit" and would stress a human.

As for TopSites dynamic update, it's yet another machine learning feature implementation. This is indeed a la mode now. I have some small program in my Applications folder, it learns user's "gestures" (mouse movements) and launches other applications upon capturing appropriate ones. Didn't use it since long now and don't actually remember its name anymore, but it's the same.

What Safari 4 actually does, is reinventing the notions of bookmarks and browser history. It makes them (intelligent TopSites especially) not a supplementary feature, though pleasing, but an inevitable entry point in the way to web browsing. Sad, that TopSites are not shown in the Cover flow.