Spam is ridiculous

Posted:
in Feedback edited January 2014
I appreciate that moderation is not 24/7 and that intent spammers can do as they like. I would speculate that the recent bouts of spam are coming from the same person or organisation - who has realised that there are times of the day when the US based moderators are not around.

Is there a way for the board to allow trusted members to have certain moderation abilities for the sole removal of spam. I know im not the most trustworthy member and I am not interested in moderation of members outbursts, but if there was a way that I or other trustworthy people could move spammers posts to the secret dustbin, id be happy to do that when the need arose.

I dont know if the feature is available, but if say certain members were granted moderation abilities only for new accounts of less than a few days or for accounts of less than 50 posts, we could probably kill 99% of the spam, and the moderators wouldn't have to worry that I would go straight out and ban trumptman!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    utisnum1utisnum1 Posts: 138member
    I and someone else suggested that people will have to have a minimum of 2-5 posts before posting a thread, it would stop the spammers who only post once and it would allow new users to search for topics to their questions instead of posting a thread that has already been discussed.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    omegaomega Posts: 427member
    The silence is deafening.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Where are the administrators for this forum. Too much spam. Way too much. One every now and again isn't bad but every day and today especially, it is out of hand. Administration needs to do something.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    omegaomega Posts: 427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UTisNUM1 View Post

Administration needs to do something.

Don't be too quick to judge them. They are doing a whole lot of nothing.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    We have a lot of Super Mods and Regular Mod so why can't somebody do something about it?
  • Reply 6 of 8
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UTisNUM1 View Post

We have a lot of Super Mods and Regular Mod so why can't somebody do something about it?

Moderators have the ability to remove spam. Being in the UK, I cover this time zone after work. I usually clear 5-10 spammers a day at least, mostly they are pushing the same video encoders. If I get the time, I could look into writing or acquiring some vbulletin extension that filters out known spam content but I wouldn't have access to install it.

It will be the site admins who have this level of access. Suffice to say, they will be aware of the issue and if they could fix it easily, they probably would. For now, we'll just have to make do with the regular daily purge of spammers. Unfortunately this means that it gets through but as I say, i remove all new spam every day that hasn't been picked up by other mods. What you guys actually see is spam that has arrived in the last 24 hours.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    houseleyhouseley Posts: 147member
    Why sort the problem out at removing the spam. At Ars Techinica, the forums have no spam. It's not deleted once it's noticed, it's just not there. The AI forums are now, IMO, almost unbearable with the spam. The lack of any apparent response from admin either in the form of effective action or even an acknowledgement of the problem and a stated commitment to sort it out is baffling.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    I like the idea of the Longhorn fan!!!

..."5 replies before granting the ability to start a new thread"... that might help, and would be automated so as not to overburden the moderators (would also not put Trumpetman at risk )!

Any remaining spam posts could simply be replaced with the line, "Saw 'em Off!!!"