imac connections

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I am thinking about buying a new imac but am not sure I can connect all my external devices: optimum online internet connection, Epson 2450 Photo scanner, Epson 2400 Photo printer, Epson Stylus C88 printer, LaCie Lightscribe DVD burner, LaCie 500GB External HD, Airport Extreme, ipod, digital cameras. any feedback would be helpful. any recommended firewire & USB hubs?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    Don't know about Firewire hubs, never owned one. But USB hubs are commodity devices now- it really doesn't matter which you buy. I would get one, however, that has its own AC power adapter and is not just bus powered.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    It's a pity the elegance of an iMac is completely trashed the second you need anymore than 4 USB ports.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

It's a pity the elegance of an iMac is completely trashed the second you need anymore than 4 USB ports.

You need more than 4?
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

You need more than 4?

iPhone dock, printer, scanner, flash drive, Nokia USB connectivity cable, my own keyboard/mouse (USBx2) and I'm already up to needing 7 USB ports there!

External backup hard drive = 8USB ports required.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    Quote:

iPhone dock, printer, scanner, flash drive, Nokia USB connectivity cable, my own keyboard/mouse (USBx2) and I'm already up to needing 7 USB ports there!

External backup hard drive = 8USB ports required.

Most people don't have two mobile phones, a separate printer and scanner, and separately connected keyboard and mouse. That right there is three USB ports that 95% of users don't need. Go wireless on the keyboard and mouse and you can eliminate another port (two in your case).
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Quote:

Most people don't.

I have a Wacom tablet, iPhone, and a printer attached. That's it: three. The wife has a printer and an iPhone: two. Wireless keyboards are great. Even with wired boards and mice, we'd both be four or less.

For those that do, a hub would keep the area immediately behind the computer clearer, anyways.

At work, I have a printer, an iPod dock and USB speakers set off to the side in the room. One long USB cable with a hub saves running three cables around a door and window.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

Most people don't have two mobile phones, a separate printer and scanner, and separately connected keyboard and mouse. That right there is three USB ports that 95% of users don't need. Go wireless on the keyboard and mouse and you can eliminate another port (two in your case).

The point isn't really that most people don't, it's that if you do, it spoils the appearance completely. I reckon Apple could easily up the USB port count to 8 or 10, and then that'd cover every customers needs without having to resort to buying extra equipment.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    So should the iMac have 10 USB ports in the back in order to maintain the image for the small number that need that many? Then you'll have people (a higher number) complaining about the extra cost to accommodate a few.

Ten cables running into the machine and around the desk and all over is a mess, anyway. A hub would clean things up.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

So should the iMac have 10 USB ports in the back in order to maintain the image?

Ten cables running into the machine and around the desk and all over is a mess, anyway. A hub would clean things up.

A hub means an extra cable and an extra box on your desk. That hardly clears things up! I think Apple could swallow the cost of 4 USB ports at a few pence each for the sake of convenience
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:

A hub means an extra cable and an extra box on your desk. That hardly clears things up!

I think that depends highly upon the arrangement of the machine on the desk, in the room, etc. As i said earlier, I have one cable running around a door and window... instead of three. The hub certainly clears things up for me.

Oh, I didn't mention that my desk at work is pretty small and I don't have the room on the desk to run 10 cables; the hole in the desk will only accommodate a power cord, LAN and max 3 USB cables. Of course, I could run cables all over my desk, but what would that do to the appearance?
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

I think that depends highly upon the arrangement of the machine on the desk, in the room, etc. As i said earlier, I have one cable running around a door and window... instead of three. The hub certainly clears things up for me.

Oh, I didn't mention that my desk at work is pretty small and I don't have the room on the desk to run 10 cables; the hole in the desk will only accommodate a power cord, LAN and max 3 USB cables. Of course, I could run cables all over my desk, but what would that do to the appearance?

It would depend entirely on the arrangment. At my desk, for instance, a USB hub would have to hang down the back of the desk (not really ideal) or sit on the desk (again not ideal). Either way, the hub solution isn't as satisfactory as the more USB ports in the back of the iMac solution. If the cables are all connecting at the same point, you can at least zip tie them all together to make them look neater. Although that's no good if you need to regularly connect and disconnect them (as I would!).
  • Reply 12 of 14
    MacPro 5 ports

Connect an ACD (-1 on the MP, +2 on the ACD for a net of +1 = 6 ports)

... quite a bit of cash

iMac 4 ports

... much less expensive

Add a wired keyboard on either machine and get +2 ports, but -1 for the connection so a net of +1 = 5)

Sounds about right to me.

-----

Why don't we ask the people reading the thread...

How many USB ports do you NEED?

I happy with 3 on a desktop. One is fine on an MBA, 3 for other portables.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    Quote:

The point isn't really that most people don't, it's that if you do, it spoils the appearance completely. I reckon Apple could easily up the USB port count to 8 or 10, and then that'd cover every customers needs without having to resort to buying extra equipment.

If you have 8 or 10 USB cables handing off of your iMac, you have a total eyesore anyway. Besides, no product is ever designed to meet every single customer's perceived need. I could see 5 USB ports in the iMac as that's what the mini is now sporting.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    I'm amazed that some users can get by with 4 USB ports. I (could) use 12 on my G4.

I have a powered 4 port (A) USB hub fastened behind desk and hard to reach.

I just bought a 7 port USB port but haven't set it up yet. It will replace the 4 port hub.

1. Scanner ---> back of ACD (will plug scanner into new hub when set up. I'll use the ACD port for USB drives that aren't bus powered. They don't work with keyboard port.

2. Keyboard ---> plugged into back of ACD

3. Logitech Evolution Mouse (battery operated) ---> keyboard

4. Mini lamp over keyboard ---> keyboard

5. For bus powered USB drives ---> same keyboard USB as Mini lamp interchanged when needed.

6. Revolution Mouse (rechargeable - used when battery in Evolution dies and has to be recharged separately or battery replaced) Rev. Mouse charger plugged into (A) USB hub.

7. Broadband modem ---> (A) USB hub

8. For USB drives that need AC power, I have to interchange with something on (A) USB hub. Will plug into ACD when port no longer needed for Scanner.

9. Printer {1. Laser} OR {2. Color} [number 12 USB] ---> (A) USB hub (will plug the other one into new hub when set up.

10. UPS ---> G4 back (UPS communicates with computer?!?!)

11. External HDD [i]---> G4 back // Ext.HDD [2] ---> FiWi ---> G4 back

I'd ask for suggestions to set up a better system, BUT all this will change when new Mini arrives. However, feel free to criticize my current system or suggest what you would do in this case.