Late rumor has iPhone 3.0 getting copy-and-paste, multitasking

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple may be adding some of the iPhone's most heavily requested software features -- including multitasking the ability to copy and paste text -- with the unveiling of the 3.0 update this week.

In a live episode of Diggnation recorded at Austin's South by Southwest festival, Digg founder and show co-host Kevin Rose claimed to have "confirmation" that the feature would be a centerpiece of the new iPhone OS to be unveiled on Tuesday.

To select text, he said, users would double-tap on a word to bring up the iPhone's magnifying glass and then extend the "quotes" to cover the necessary text and perform the relevant action, though it's not known whether this would be limited to copying and pasting or would include cutting text outright.

He also hints that many of the software efforts in the year since iPhone 2.0 will bring the device up to the level of the Palm Pre, which while unreleased has a number of software advantages over Apple's platform. Notably, Rose made mention of "multitasking" before being interrupted during the segment. The Pre lets users tap a button to switch apps and lets owners launch apps without quitting the active program.

However, he also dampened hopes for video capture, explicitly warning that it wouldn't be part of the feature set for 3.0.

Rose has had a mixed track record for Apple-related rumors: while he accurately leaked the fourth-generation iPod nano and key components of iTunes 8, he has also been inaccurate regarding Blu-ray support and some iPhone features in the past. Nonetheless, he stressed at his show that the information came from a "friend" that has previously been a reliable source in the past.

Separately, Gizmodo also claimed to have two similar tips relating to copy-and-paste that were received independently from Rose's comments. Apple itself has long said that manipulating text would eventually come, but that there was a checklist of priorities which had pushed copy-and-paste out of at least iPhone 2.0.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 138
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Let the whining begin!
  • Reply 2 of 138
    rnp1rnp1 Posts: 175member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Let the whining begin!

Take out the "h"

iPhone wins again!
  • Reply 3 of 138
    Special announcement for copy & paste and MMS?

Glad Apple finally learned 'how to' do it... lol

These basic phone features are found on your 9.99$ Samsung.

I am expecting big news for 3.0

like Video LOL (again found on a phone in a 9.99$ range...

for a special announcement, it best be BIG.
  • Reply 4 of 138
    There won't be any multitasking until they start shipping iPhones with twice the RAM and enable virtual memory. As it stands, there is barely enough memory to run Safari and Mail simultaneously. Actually, on current devices I'd say there isn't enough memory to run Safari satisfactorily; it takes very little to have it run out of memory and quit.
  • Reply 5 of 138
    So Apple is going to release the push notification feature for 3rd party apps while allowing 3rd party apps to run in the background? That doesn't make sense.
  • Reply 6 of 138
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    I don't care whether Camera records video or not, as long as they give access to video in the developer's SDK.
  • Reply 7 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mechengit View Post

So Apple is going to release the push notification feature for 3rd party apps while allowing 3rd party apps to run in the background? That doesn't make sense.

Well I don't know what Apple has up its sleeve for 3.0

but implementing both does make sense. You don't actually want 20 apps running all at once (though maybe you do).

Stuff like TwitterFon, Facebook, MySpace, IM clients - they don't really need to be running, just able to use the push notification feature.

Other things, like your sales app, you don't want to quit, because the form is half filled in while you are working with the client and need to check some details in safari. Or something like Fring, while being on a Skype call, or one of the internet radio players, these things you want to run in the background and not quit just cause you are looking in contacts.
  • Reply 8 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by astrosmash View Post

There won't be any multitasking until they start shipping iPhones with twice the RAM and enable virtual memory. As it stands, there is barely enough memory to run Safari and Mail simultaneously. Actually, on current devices I'd say there isn't enough memory to run Safari satisfactorily; it takes very little to have it run out of memory and quit.

I have to agree with you. Therefore I believe apple will announce what the NEXT generation iPhone will be able to do. And possibly it's release date.
  • Reply 9 of 138
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Multitasking with only 128M ram? They better be small tasks.

Maybe that's what they'll do - any bg task that exceeds a certain footprint gets automatically killed.
  • Reply 10 of 138
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    MMS support? And finally some more Firmware fix for Connection and Reception problems.
  • Reply 11 of 138
    I've tried video through jailbreaking with "Cycorder". The quality, due to hardware limitations, is very poor. My guess is Apple didn't want to enable video because of this reason. Now, on the other hand - just because it won't be enabled in the 3.0 update for existing iPhones, doesn't mean it won't be enabled on the new iPhone coming out whenever. BTW, although I get good test results for 3G speeds - doesn't mean the experience is good. Surfing on the iPhone 3G is like dial-up. We need more RAM (I don't mean storage) and a faster processor. AT&T needs to start boosting the network.
  • Reply 12 of 138
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Don't let your bod go the way of Alex. Cut the carbs and workout a little each day, man!
  • Reply 13 of 138
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

I am expecting big news for 3.0

like Video LOL (again found on a phone in a 9.99$ range...

for a special announcement, it best be BIG.

Dont be a douchebag, go buy your 9.99 piece of crap
  • Reply 14 of 138
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

Really?? $9.99?? Does the rest of the world know this? I mean, this is groundbreaking news! All those millions of iPhone buyers had no clue they (we) were being ripped off.

Go buy your $9.99 Samsung and be content will you please?
  • Reply 15 of 138
    hiimamachiimamac Posts: 584member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Let the whining begin!

Ok. Did anyone else notice that the original video was flash and the iPhone couldn't play it. Ha ha ha.

Of course appleinsider or someone posted it on you tube.

What a scam. Apple doesn't want flash. Google the "real reason there is no flash on the iPhone". Apple wants you to purchase they'd low quality definition of HD from their app store and not watch it free on hulu. Then of course there us the app store vs Adobe flash apps.

Just be glad millions if users have two year contracts about to expire. Keeps Apple honest.
  • Reply 16 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rnp1 View Post

Take out the "h"

iPhone wins again!

and throw in another "n" for good measure.
  • Reply 17 of 138
    I would like Task Syncing. I, as well a lot of people I know, use tasks all of the time.
  • Reply 18 of 138
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

To select text, he said, users would double-tap on a word to bring up the iPhone's magnifying glass and then extend the "quotes" to cover the necessary text and perform the relevant action, though it's not known whether this would be limited to copying and pasting or would include cutting text outright.

This would surprise me. Double tap gesture is already booked by magnification. The lens is brought up by tap-and-hold that. What would distinguish moving the lens along the text from "extending quotes" or from just shifting view frame over the page? Not that much convincing...
  • Reply 19 of 138
    shookstershookster Posts: 113member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

This would surprise me. Double tap gesture is already booked by magnification. The lens is brought up by tap-and-hold that. What would distinguish moving the lens along the text from "extending quotes" or from just shifting view frame over the page? Not that much convincing...

And how do you paste? Do you double-tap as if you were going to copy and then click a button somewhere?
  • Reply 20 of 138
    foljsfoljs Posts: 390member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Multitasking with only 128M ram? They better be small tasks.

Yeah, because computers sure didn't multitask when only 128MB (and 64MB) where available.

Are you kidding me?