iPhone OS 3.0 first impressions and photos [Updated]

Comments

• Reply 61 of 101
    hiimamachiimamac Posts: 584member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

It's working for me.

Will installing brick the phone. Can you revert. On paper you can revert but can't tell you how many times after an update that the newer version changes a frequency so reverting fails. Ask as at work we got the latest beta plus snow of course but read that only developers with iPhone accounts should install. Wonder why that is. Out of respect I will more than likely NOT install unless given permission even though it's probaby leaked on the web.

Thoughts?
  • Reply 62 of 101
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnsibly View Post

Not sure, but you know that in the current firmware you can already save images from a website by holding down on a picture and selecting "Save Image"

I know you can, can let's say copy an image from a wbsite, and then post it while typing a message on a different forum.
  • Reply 63 of 101
    patsfan83patsfan83 Posts: 156member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zoc View Post

You may find it on torrent sites... But beware that installing it on an iPhone that is not registered as a development iPhone on the iPhone Developer Portal will render your iPhone totally useless (because you won't be able to activate it anymore).

That's what I figured. Thanks.
  • Reply 64 of 101
    ajmasajmas Posts: 601member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

I know you can, can let's say copy an image from a wbsite, and then post it while typing a message on a different forum.

From what I could gather you can only save the image. Text is the only thing available to copy & paste.
  • Reply 65 of 101
    mactoidmactoid Posts: 112member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

I just upgraded my hi-fi stereo system with a Marantz cd player, NAD preamp and a huge Rotel amp. Bought 2 insanely sweet tickets to Depeche Mode in San Fran at the Shorline Amphitheatre, and a week of camping at Greenpoint Campground in Tofino, BC.

All this, and more, and all I had to do was not subject myself to some sadistic pleasure of having an iPhone that couldn't even cut and paste.

Who's iMovie do you think Apple would promote?

Dude listening to an insanely awesome stereo, jet-setting around to check out wicked bands, surfing bitch'n waves in the most beautiful environment on the planet...

or

Some dude going "woot, I just touched my screen and zoomed in on a shitty photo while making a phone call".

While I admit that I have some "woot, I just touched my screen and zoomed in on a shitty photo while making a phone call" envy... for what Rogers is asking, my god.

You can't cut and paste life.

Little insight on me guys. I'm pretty hardcore with my tech, but at some point you need to draw a line. As much as I love to use and even sell Apple products on the side, there comes a point where you watch an Apple Keynote, showing off iLife and all the fantastic adventures of the sample photo's and movies... and think... shit... I have no content to even use that software.

I guess thats my next Youtube commercial against Rogers...

And the point of this was what?!?!?!? Dang...they must be growing a potent crop this year up in BC land!
  • Reply 66 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

It's working for me.

Short question to all MMS-users: did you have to enter any provider specific settings?

I'm asking as I'm not a USA resident, and I wanted to try out MMS here in Europe but it totally fails as there is no way to enter the MMS settings (proxy, etc.) which would be needed to create a working MMS setup. So I'm guessing that Apple simply put AT&T settings into this beta release....
  • Reply 67 of 101
    tomkarltomkarl Posts: 239member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mactoid View Post

And the point of this was what?!?!?!? Dang...they must be growing a potent crop this year up in BC land!

Thank you, I too was trying to figure out if this guy was making a point.
  • Reply 68 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NoComment View Post

Short question to all MMS-users: did you have to enter any provider specific settings?

I'm asking as I'm not a USA resident, and I wanted to try out MMS here in Europe but it totally fails as there is no way to enter the MMS settings (proxy, etc.) which would be needed to create a working MMS setup. So I'm guessing that Apple simply put AT&T settings into this beta release....

There's nowhere to enter such settings, although it does ask for your phone number for some reason.

It's possible the MMS only currently works in the US which would explain its apparent absence on my phone (it is the first beta after all.. can't expect miracles). I wonder if I set the phone number to a US number it'd appear (although not work of course as there's nowhere to enter the MMSC).
  • Reply 69 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TonyHoyle View Post

There's nowhere to enter such settings, although it does ask for your phone number for some reason.

It's possible the MMS only currently works in the US which would explain its apparent absence on my phone (it is the first beta after all.. can't expect miracles). I wonder if I set the phone number to a US number it'd appear (although not work of course as there's nowhere to enter the MMSC).

I'm in the US, and it isn't working here either.. AT&T says that there is no problem on their end, and that MMS is included in the standard SMS package, currently on hold for an Apple Developer call center to ask them if it's turned on yet or not..

Interestingly, when someone sends me an MMS, I'm not getting the annoying link anymore either, it's just lost in the ether..

Has anyone managed to send & receive an MMS?
  • Reply 70 of 101
    dmgceodmgceo Posts: 11member
    No one has mentioned this anywhere. With version 3.0 - will we now be able to print (anything/everything) via the iPhone (2G-3G) to a bluetooth enabled printer ?????
  • Reply 71 of 101
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmgceo View Post

No one has mentioned this anywhere. With version 3.0 - will we now be able to print (anything/everything) via the iPhone (2G-3G) to a bluetooth enabled printer ?????

There was no mention of printing in the presentation either.
  • Reply 72 of 101
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmgceo View Post

No. Not unless the folks who make the printer also make an app for it, in my understanding of it. Saying there was no mention of printing isn't helping matters, or answering the guys question Jeff.
  • Reply 73 of 101
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

No. Not unless the folks who make the printer also make an app for it, in my understanding of it.

I doubt that, Bluetooth printing probably requires the device to support the appropriate protocol.

Quote:

Saying there was no mention of printing isn't helping matters, or answering the guys question Jeff.

I don't know what this is about.
  • Reply 74 of 101
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by schmrtzzz View Post

The font Apple uses in Notes is still unreadable, even in landscape mode. Why not give users a choice which font to use and which corps (yes, I admit, I'm getting old).

Shows you how different we all are. I've always liked that font. My eyesight isn't too great either. I go to the eye doctor once a year, and if I need a prescription change, I get it.

It would be good if Apple allowed a choice though, for those who don't like it. It's not like they haven't supplied enough fonts with the phone.
  • Reply 75 of 101
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

No. Not unless the folks who make the printer also make an app for it, in my understanding of it. Saying there was no mention of printing isn't helping matters, or answering the guys question Jeff.

I believe that Hp has already come out with a way to print to their printers via the iPhone.

I imagine that a printer findable through Bonjour would be printable, IF the app permits printing. Which apps even have a word somewhere that says "print"?
  • Reply 76 of 101
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I don't know what this is about.

Tee-he!
  • Reply 77 of 101
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

I'm still waiting for iCal to have even half the features that Clarisworks Calendar had back in 1997.

So don't hold your breath.

Apple is is 12 YEARS behind in calendar technology... not good.

That's why we built: http://pocketinformant.com/products_...formant_iphone
  • Reply 78 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TonyHoyle View Post

I haven't even worked out how to switch the messages app into MMS mode yet..

Even selecting a contact and selecting send as MMS brings up a standard blank SMS window. I just assumed it wasn't implemented in this beta but since you're saying you managed to add a picture now I'm not so sure.

Settings > Messages > MMS set to on mine was set to on by default.
  • Reply 79 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SteveLV702 View Post

Settings > Messages > MMS set to on mine was set to on by default.

That makes no difference to the messages app.. mine is on by default as well.

It appears to be not implemented in this build, judging by other responses.

On most phones when you edit an SMS there's a button to switch it into MMS mode (removes the 260 character limit, allows adding of contacts, pictures, video, etc.). The contacts app currently has no controls at all other than a couple of text entry boxes.. thus no way to send an MMS.

Interestingly the walkthrough video on endgadget has a button for adding pictures on their SMS app... nothing like that here - possibly only appears if you're in the US*? The other possibility is there's more than one build - I'm on 7A238j.

(* Which goes back to the problem there's nowhere to add the MMSC and they probably wouldn't have worked that out for every carrier in the world in a first beta).
  • Reply 80 of 101
    Is there any developer that can confirm that there is Greek language support at the 3.0 beta? I mean for the menus and the apps, not the keyboard.

Thank you in advance.