more enhancements to file system planned...

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
from <a href="http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107249"; target="_blank">this</a> AppleCare Document.

[quote] Journaled file system is part of a set of incremental enhancements to the Mac OS Extended file system, and it is backward compatible with the Mac OS Extended file system. <hr></blockquote>

What do you think? What's coming next?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    metadata, then threading.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    [quote]Originally posted by hotboxd:

<strong>metadata, then threading.</strong><hr></blockquote>

metadata seems a certainty with the mime type style stuff in project builder but what do you mean by threading?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Metadata isn't a file system issue per se, is it? Seems like they want to divorce any metadata from a particular filesystem, i.e., frowning on type/creator codes, and use the stuff at a higher level in the system. Then again, maybe this theory about improved metadata gets blown out of the water with their plans to simply glom onto the HFS+ filesystem.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Metadata isn't specifically a file system issue, but *support* for metadata is. Direct support just makes working with it easier at an application or framework level.

Look at it this way... direct support gets rid of ._ style files.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    frawgzfrawgz Posts: 547member
    I was under the impression HFS+ already has underlying support for metadata (beyond type/creator codes). I think it was Rick Roe who mentioned this on the MacNN forums.