iPhone 3.0 to offer MobileMe users "Find My iPhone" feature

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A new feature in the iPhone 3.0 firmware appears to let users remotely pinpoint a lost or stolen phone by securely requesting the device's location via Apple's MobileMe service.

The setting appears under the MobileMe settings page, where push updates for mail, contacts, calendars, and bookmarks are configured. Below these settings is a simple control to activate "Find My iPhone."

When activated, the phone opens an alert that says, "this enables the "Find my iPhone" service on your MobileMe account at me.com." It would appear that the service obtains the iPhone's location and makes it available to the MobileMe user on request if the unit is lost or stolen.

The rationale for linking the feature into MobileMe is evidently the same as that behind Apple's Back to My Mac feature: security. By only allowing the linked MobileMe account to obtain a location remotely, using GPS or WiFi/cell tower triangulation, users don't have to worry about an outside party being able to track their location.

MobileMe supports setting up secure IPSec tunnels between remote clients over the Internet, acting as a catalyst by tracking the locations of MobileMe-registered systems and securely publishing their location to other MobileMe-registered devices using Wide Area Bonjour.

In this case, the iPhone would simply give its registered MobileMe user the option of remotely requesting its location. The settings to support the new feature are not yet visible on the MobileMe website, as the iPhone 3.0 firmware is currently still in developer release and won't ship until this summer.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 62
    sabonsabon Posts: 134member
    Does this mean I can track ANY iPhone attached to my Mobile me account. Such as family members phones?

Such as, my daughter is supposed to be at school but someone called and said she was at the mall or at someone's house she isn't supposed to be at. Would I be able to find out where she is at?

This could also be good in emergencies.
  • Reply 2 of 62
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    When are Apple going to buy Cappuccino/Atlas? To add it to Mobile me, via iWeb online / iWork online. Clearly it's heading this direction, I hope behind the scenes they are working like dogs on this. Though Objective-J is clearly the key here, with possibly some Sproutcore action too (which they already bought).
  • Reply 3 of 62
    Now - Apple - please: Your MobileMe is just great. Can't you put some effort into packing a business solution based on this? Then I would not need the rather crappy included mail from our ISP. We could share calendars, remote wipe iPhones, find lost ones and make colaboration services from out XServe available outside our company LAN.

For example.

That would be a good move in competition with Google and MSN offering universitys to handle mail for all students. Many companies goes cloud - and MobileMe has all the basics - and more. Just need a company packing. We would be there!
  • Reply 4 of 62
    elliots11elliots11 Posts: 290member
    Useful yes, scary as hell too. Of course there's the whole " If you're not doing anything wrong, there's nothing to fear" argument... some people just don't care too much for tracking others or being tracked outside of 911 emergency situations.
  • Reply 5 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

When are Apple going to buy Cappuccino/Atlas? To add it to Mobile me, via iWeb online / iWork online. Clearly it's heading this direction, I hope behind the scenes they are working like dogs on this. Though Objective-J is clearly the key here, with possibly some Sproutcore action too (which they already bought).

I'm not sure what that has to do with the feature mentioned in the article, but I agree that a web-based suite of iWork apps as part of MobileMe would rock!
  • Reply 6 of 62
    johnnykrzjohnnykrz Posts: 152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elliots11 View Post

Useful yes, scary as hell too. Of course there's the whole " If you're not doing anything wrong, there's nothing to fear" argument... some people just don't care too much for tracking others or being tracked outside of 911 emergency situations.

If you don't want it, turn it off. I personally hope they make it able to track other members of your MobileMe account (with a different colored flashing dot in the Maps app would be nice and simple).
  • Reply 7 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

I'm not sure what that has to do with the feature mentioned in the article, but I agree that a web-based suite of iWork apps as part of MobileMe would rock!

It has to do with Apple adding features to Mobile me, which is why I thought it more than apt to mention. While they are adding these small little features they could be adding bigger ones. Handy feature, I suppose. For myself though, I'd much prefer remote-wipe. I'd MUCH rather lose my phone and not get it back than anyone getting access to my data.
  • Reply 8 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tumme-totte View Post

Now - Apple - please: Your MobileMe is just great. Can't you put some effort into packing a business solution based on this? Then I would not need the rather crappy included mail from our ISP. We could share calendars, remote wipe iPhones, find lost ones and make colaboration services from out XServe available outside our company LAN.

For example.

That would be a good move in competition with Google and MSN offering universitys to handle mail for all students. Many companies goes cloud - and MobileMe has all the basics - and more. Just need a company packing. We would be there!

If they bundled a MobileMe style Web app with Snow Leopard server their server sales would increase 100X.

I would love to have MobileMe features available to everyone on my domain.
  • Reply 9 of 62
    Quote:

It has to do with Apple adding features to Mobile me, which is why I thought it more than apt to mention. While they are adding these small little features they could be adding bigger ones. Handy feature, I suppose. For myself though, I'd much prefer remote-wipe. I'd MUCH rather lose my phone and not get it back than anyone getting access to my data.

BINGO! Give these "enterprise" level features to the little guy.

Makes sense.
  • Reply 10 of 62
    if only it can find it in my apartment. then i wouldn't have to listen to my gf complain to herself while she looks for it.

PS, i know you can call it. but if it is set to sound off, it becomes a bit of a problem.
  • Reply 11 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

BINGO! Give these "enterprise" level features to the little guy.

Makes sense.

Unsure if you're being supportive or sarcastic.
  • Reply 12 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Peruchito View Post

if only it can find it in my apartment. then i wouldn't have to listen to my gf complain to herself while she looks for it.

PS, i know you can call it. but if it is set to sound off, it becomes a bit of a problem.

Age old problem. The best solution is to have "a place for it". Always put in its this place, that when you it's gone you know where it is.

Sounds too obvious? It is. It's the only solution. Find a place and get into the habit of leaving it there.
  • Reply 13 of 62
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,239member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Peruchito View Post

That's funny. So you have your gf look for your phone when you lose it, and she complains the whole time.... oh, the joy!
  • Reply 14 of 62
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:

so you're saying they could do this faster if they bought that interface builder app you referenced?

Seems a little out-there to me.
  • Reply 15 of 62
    Quote:

Unsure if you're being supportive or sarcastic.

No I'm totally serious.

It fits with Apple's "Exchange for the rest of us" theme during the initial MobileMe roll out.
  • Reply 16 of 62
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Your phone can already be tracked. This feature adds nothing new to that situation.

Quote:

• Reply 17 of 62
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:

If the feature scares you, then that assumes that something out there tracks you secretly even if you don't turn the feature on.

In which case, you should also be scared of ANY communication device with a GPS, since it could have a hidden tracking feature instead of a visible one with an on/off.

In which case, you should be scared of ANY electrical device, because it could have a secret GPS built into some chip.

The first two, of course, could happen accidentally rather than on purpose--they're just software
  • Reply 18 of 62
    The only problem with this is that if someone steals your iPhone, they just have to turn this feature off... right? Even if it's password protected, couldn't they just restore the iPhone and then turn it off?

If this is the case, it seems to me that this would only be helpful for a lost iPhone... unless whoever steals it doesn't know about this feature.
  • Reply 19 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

so you're saying they could do this faster if they bought that interface builder app you referenced?

Seems a little out-there to me.

Well they bought SproutCore, and that's why Mobile me exists as it does today. It's not out-there at all. It's in-there.
  • Reply 20 of 62
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by themoonisdown09 View Post

The only problem with this is that if someone steals your iPhone, they just have to turn this feature off... right? Even if it's password protected, couldn't they just restore the iPhone and then turn it off?

If this is the case, it seems to me that this would only be helpful for a lost iPhone... unless whoever steals it doesn't know about this feature.

Don't underestimate the stupidity of a thief. People have recovered lost laptops because thieves were too dumb (ignorant) to turn off certain features.