Bluetooth mouse for MacBook: what are the alternatives?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi guys.

I'm in the market for a wireless mouse for my MacBook, however, I don't really find one that fits my needs entirely.

The Mighty Mouse is a piece of junk and too big to take with you + too expensive

The Logitech V470 is a bit too expensive for my likings and doesn't have enough buttons (if I buy a mouse, I want to have at least the same functionality as a Mighty Mouse)

The Microsoft 5000 is really ugly and looks cheap

Are there any other options? I love Logitech's none Bluetooth offerings, but I'd hate to lose a USB-port for my mouse and it just looks that much cleaner without the USB reciever plugged in.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    THe mighty mouse is not a piece of junk, I've had one for 2.5 years now and it has served me very very well. Plus it goes everywhere my laptop goes. It sounds like you want a replacement mighty mouse but can't find any other mice that fit the bill. If it was me i'd give up and buy a MM because it has been worth the £50.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    I'm using a Mighty Mouse with my iMac for 20 months now, and it hasn't been easy to keep the scroll ball functioning all that time. It's outdated in many ways and the clicking feels very cheap. The only reason I mentioned it is because it has an extra button vs the V470, so I want a mouse with at least as many buttons as the Mighty Mouse.

I was hoping the desktop refresh of this month would bring new keyboards and mice, but alas...

Anyway, glad you like yours but I don't really enjoy using mine so I'm looking for something else for my laptop Piece of junk is perhaps too strong an expression to use, but I can't really say I like it.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    I'd go with Logitech models. How many buttons do you need? Logitech MX900 has a lot of buttons.

Hang on... Editing. Checking SetPoint software on Mac... (Logitech Control Center)

Update: Using Logitech Control Center. Quite good. I can configure the scroll wheel click, tilt left and tilt right for Dashboard/Expose/Scroll/ETC

Mine is LX5 (cordless mouse and keyboard with USB dongle)

So I have left click, right click, scroll wheel click, tilt left (can be expose, etc.), tilt right (can be expose, etc. in fact all can be configured)

Option to try http://plentycom.jp/en/steermouse/ as well to configure all the buttons. I haven't tried it though.

I'd say configuring the Logitech tilt left and tilt right, compares with having Mighty Mouse "squeeze" and Mighty Mouse "middle click".

Also Logitech Control Center appears to give much more things you can assign to a button. (see picture)

• Reply 4 of 11
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    Okay thanks for that extra info. But if I configure tilt left and tilt right for expose and dashboard, That would mean I don't have any horizontal scrolling, right?
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorre View Post

Okay thanks for that extra info. But if I configure tilt left and tilt right for expose and dashboard, That would mean I don't have any horizontal scrolling, right?

That sounds correct to me!
  • Reply 6 of 11
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChrisDaMacMan View Post

THe mighty mouse is not a piece of junk, I've had one for 2.5 years now and it has served me very very well. Plus it goes everywhere my laptop goes. It sounds like you want a replacement mighty mouse but can't find any other mice that fit the bill. If it was me i'd give up and buy a MM because it has been worth the £50.

The MM is a piece of crap in comparison to the competitors.

I haven't had much luck with BT mice not lagging...admittedly I haven't tried the later Logitech ones.

I use a Logitech VX Nano with the tiny RF module clogging up one USB port. That mouse is so much better than the MM it isn't funny. For one, the scroll wheel lasts longer than a few months.

I might get the Logitech 470 for my netbook and free that port up.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    After trying several different brands of mice, I've concluded that it's worth it to spend a little extra on a nice Logitech.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

After trying several different brands of mice, I've concluded that it's worth it to spend a little extra on a nice Logitech.

Yeah, I've had a good run in the past 5+ years with whatever Logitech keyboard or mouse I got. Quite impressive, mind-boggling even, how they've managed especially in such a competitive accessories business with so much cheaper alternatives.

That said I haven't used a Bluetooth mouse in... well a very long time. The USB wireless dongle thing doesn't bother me too much when I use it.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    ilenehileneh Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorre View Post

Hi guys.

I'm in the market for a wireless mouse for my MacBook, however, I don't really find one that fits my needs entirely.

:::SNIP:::.

Microsoft makes multiple wireless mice that work with the Mac.

RadTech has BlueTooth mice for the Mac: http://www.radtech.us/Products/Bluetooth/

Verbatim has new wireless mice: http://www.verbatim.com/index.cfm

I have a Verbatim, but haven't opened it yet... sigh.

The MS mouse with battery in it, turned out to be too heavy for my small hands; but you might like it. It worked just fine.

I tried the original BT 100 BlueTooth RadTech mouse and found that it kept losing its sync; rather annoying, but they've updated them since I tried it.

ilene
  • Reply 10 of 11
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    I love this mouse. It has the new BlueTrack technology which is way better than the red laser technology

Microsoft® Explorer Mini Mouse

Amazon has it for ~$40. No horizontal scrolling tho
  • Reply 11 of 11
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

I use a Logitech VX Nano with the tiny RF module clogging up one USB port. That mouse is so much better than the MM it isn't funny.

+1

The Nano RF receiver stays connected to my notebook permanently (even while packed in my bag). Having a little nob sticking out of your computer is not the most elegant-looking solution, but the VX Nano is awesome. Apple would have to pay me to use the MM after using the VX Nano for the past year-and-a-half.