TiBooks and the future

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
OK

I haven't seen a good thread on the Tibooks in any forum.

My Conspiracy theory:

We have 550mhz and 667mhz Ti books and you can still find deals on the 400 and 500's if you look. I've read that apple has had heat problems as well as fan noise problems is all of the Tibooks. Now if they speed bump these machines to say 733mhz and 867mhz or what ever speed, wont these problems become worse.

Some of my thoughts why it would be a problem:

1) its 1" thick; this limits your space for a fan to do its job efficiently.

2) its made of titanium(Ti) and we all know metal is a great conductor of heat.

So with that said I would have to say that we are instore for another redesign of the Ti book. We would almost have to unless they can solve the heat and fan noise problems. Not to mention the poor airport reception.

As I said its just a theory!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Geez, I hope something gets done soon!

I was all set to buy one in December, then I remembered MWSF and figured I'd wait - now with the G4 iMacs and the 14" iBooks, I'm not so sure that the price point is where it should be for the TiBooks (similar to the towers, but to a lesser degree). I still really want one, but need either a bump at the same price or a price-drop before I'll commit that kind of cash... Does anyone else have any idea when we'll see even a slight speed bump? :confused:

rr.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    The Titanium PowerBook just got a 'bump' before Christmas with the combo drive inclusion. The Pismo also had a 'bump' at one point in it's life (September of 2000 I believe) to include larger hard drives.

The PowerBook G4 was then introduced in January. That means that if history is correct, the PowerBook G4 will probably be bumped anywhere from late March to mid May. WWDC might be the place to introduce faster PowerBooks.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    [quote]Originally posted by ricRocket:

<strong>Geez, I hope something gets done soon!

I was all set to buy one in December, then I remembered MWSF and figured I'd wait - now with the G4 iMacs and the 14" iBooks, I'm not so sure that the price point is where it should be for the TiBooks (similar to the towers, but to a lesser degree). I still really want one, but need either a bump at the same price or a price-drop before I'll commit that kind of cash... Does anyone else have any idea when we'll see even a slight speed bump? :confused:

rr.</strong><hr></blockquote>

The Macworld intoductions have also made me think twice for the same reasons you've mentioned. The thing I thought of the most though was about all this talk of the Apollo chip. Wasn't the main focus of this chip an effort to decrease power consumption and heat production and increase heat dissapation with SOI technology and speed bump the pro books? They are the model that looks the worst right now in terms of price/performance. A 600 mhz G3 ibook costs way less than a 667 mhz G4 tibook (please remember that the G4 isn't much different than a G3 and except for the bus speed of the tibook there is nothing much else that helps to constitute the large difference in price) It seems to me that the Apollo in the tibook would be the hardware equivelant of a bug fix for software. The Apollo chip from my understanding was meant for the tibook. This and things like higher rez screen (although I doubt it) and DDR would help to justify the tibooks current prices.

[ 01-16-2002: Message edited by: neovirusnine ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 7
    After MWSF, I, too, chose to hang onto my money for a while longer, for a combination of reasons. The TiBook recently had perhaps THE revision I wanted (the addition of the slot-loading combo drive) but with the previous revision in the speed-bump and processor speed, I've been reading more and more about the heat generated from this system & the "stage 2" fan being WAY too loud (it's been compared to an airliner taking off in the distance in more than one post) and that it's on too often.

I've just recently been hearing about the Apollo chip being cooler than the one currently used in the TiBooks, and at this point, I'm fine sitting on my clunky hybrid HP-case, Dell motherboard, Zeos-of-old keyboard, Gateway 2000 monitor (baffling, isn't it?) until I'm convinced that the TiBook is the right choice.

I will not buy a computer that is any less cool than the current TiBook, however, so if the next version of Apple's Powerbook is less cool in any way than the current one, then it's a 667/48GB for me.

Respectfully,

PEte

PS - No, I will not define "cool."
  • Reply 5 of 7
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Poor me, just waiting to upgrade my Ti's hard drive to a fancy new IBM travelstar...
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Well for me it's moot now anyway. My company finally went and ordered the 667 Ti for me to use, so whatever comes out in the next couple years I'll have to buy it myself. Still, I'm betting build times on this baby will easily blow away those to which I'm used on my Pismo 500. And it's all about the build-test-debug cycle, right?

-- ShadyG
  • Reply 7 of 7
    [quote]Originally posted by averagezen:

<strong>

Some of my thoughts why it would be a problem:

(...)

2) its made of titanium(Ti) and we all know metal is a great conductor of heat.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Uh, being a good conductor of heat actually *helps* with heat problems, as it allows for the processor-generated heat to easily dissipate over a large area. Now, spread out like that, the same amount of heat leads to much lower temperatures (and bigger surfaces to facilitate giving away heat into the air) than in confined areas. This is how heatsinks work - good heatsinks are highly heat-conductive and have a large surface.

Bye,

RazzFazz