AT&T execs said touting new, faster iPhone for mid-June

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
One or more of AT&T's more senior officials have reportedly slipped important details about the next iPhone, including a June unveiling and a continued emphasis on speed.

Confidently declaring that the information he has obtained is "100% confirmed," Boy Genius says he has heard a formal unveiling for the third iPhone is due in mid-June and that AT&T is now familiar enough with the process that a mid-year iPhone update is "becoming a tradition" at the carrier.

While it's not quite known how familiar the management-level source (or sources) might be with what's contained in the new iPhone, a distinct pattern in the remarks centers on the speed of the handset. According to the remarks, the next model "will be faster" and may well support AT&T's planned upgrade to 7.2Mbps 3G scheduled for this year.

AT&T is also purportedly keen to illustrate how many of the old arguments against the iPhone will have gone away. Customers should buy a smartphone from AT&T based on their personal tastes, according to the carrier, and "the gap in capability should be filled" with the new release -- although it's far from clear whether this refers to in-the-metal features or else the features added through the iPhone 3.0 firmware that will also apply to older iPhone models.

The statements also echo AT&T's vision of integration with TV services and claim an iPhone app is in development that would let users steer the video recorders for AT&T's U-verse digital TV.

Although none of the statements individually challenge existing reports, their believed origins at AT&T do point to a near-repeat of the strategy taken for last year's iPhone 3G, which again was announced in mid-June and revolved around Internet access.

The mention of a June schedule also isn't exclusive to AT&T; UAE provider Etisalat matter-of-factly stated that it would get the next iPhone in June.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    amac4meamac4me Posts: 282member
    "Mid June" would call into question the Baltimore Sun's speculation from a couple of weeks ago that WWDC would occur June 6 - 12.

The Moscone event schedule still isn't showing anything for Moscone West during June 15 - 19.
  • Reply 2 of 41
    I still wonder why everyone is talking about 7.2mbpa hsdpa download or 80211n in reference to the 'higher sped' rumor of the next iPhone. While both do make sense, it seems the next logical progression of the technology is to get hsupa (the fast low latency upload aide of HSPA) into smartphones. --- deleted for accuracy's sake ---

.....The hsupa standard also increases download speed a bit. The good thing about hsupa is that AT&T's network already supports it an should be good to go from day one since it is already in wide use.
  • Reply 3 of 41
    merdheadmerdhead Posts: 587member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

I still wonder why everyone is talking about 7.2mbpa hsdpa download or 80211n in reference to the 'higher sped' rumor of the next iPhone. While both do make sense, it seems the next logical progression of the technology is to get hsupa (the fast low latency upload aide of HSPA) into smartphones. Currently it is mostly available in 3G modems - I don't believe any smartphones currently on the mArket have it yet. The hsupa standard also increases download speed a bit. The good thing about hsupa is that AT&T's network already supports it an should be good to go from day one since it is already in wide use by 3G modems.

There are existing HSUPA handsets and many more coming onto the market in the next few months. WIth (my next phone) the full featured and very small Nokia E55 coming onto the market by June at a list price of 250 euros and triband HSUPA (10Mb DL, 2Mb UL), Apple needs to stay competitive on the performance side.

802.11n doesn't make sense at all. You don't see it in handhelds because it's implementation is not optimised for power or size, nor is it integrated into wireless chip sets. This might have something to do with the standard not even being approved.

Really, you don't need a crystal ball to work out that the iPhone will be updated in June and that it'll be faster. News of other features would be more interesting.
  • Reply 4 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

802.11n doesn't make sense at all. You don't see it in handhelds because it's implementation is not optimised for power or size, nor is it integrated into wireless chip sets. This might have something to do with the standard not even being approved.

Stopping to think about it, you are absolutely right. Not only would the power be a problem, the need for multiple antennae would probably rule it out. Perhaps they will find a way to implement N without boosting power consumption or needing MIMO antennae just to maintain compatibility with N only networks, especially those only running on the alternate ~5 Ghz spectrum.
  • Reply 5 of 41
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

Really, you don't need a crystal ball to work out that the iPhone will be updated in June and that it'll be faster. News of other features would be more interesting.

I agree, plus is the processor fast enough to even handle the data that would come in at "N" speeds? I don't see any application at this point in time which would require "N", to think how many PC's out there are still running at "G" speeds...
  • Reply 6 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

I agree, plus is the processor fast enough to even handle the data that would come in at "N" speeds? I don't see any application at this point in time which would require "N", to think how many PC's out there are still running at "G" speeds...

What? This makes no sense at all.
  • Reply 7 of 41
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Is there more information about this line: "According to the remarks, the next model "will be faster" ..."?

Except for the 'and' conjunction this could be referring to the CPU or the overall system speed, but I don't know if that is just how AI wrote up the article.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by OllieWallieWhiskers View Post

What? This makes no sense at all.

Sure it does. The ability for the current system to handel Rx/Tx data from an 802.11n is not possible. It can't even process the maximum allowable bandwidth data of 802.11g.
  • Reply 8 of 41
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    The statements also echo AT&T's vision of integration with TV services and claim an iPhone app is in development that would let users steer the video recorders for AT&T's U-verse digital TV.

Might as well make it a universal remote for all DVRs. Not surprised this is would come about but just surprised Apple doesn't do this for the AppleTV. Would be nice to use the keyboard on the iPhone over the AppleTVs key entry. How about adding Safari to the AppleTV eh?
  • Reply 9 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Sure it does. The ability for the current system to handel Rx/Tx data from an 802.11n is not possible. It can't even process the maximum allowable bandwidth data of 802.11g.

Thanks Solipsism.
  • Reply 10 of 41
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Is there more information about this line: "According to the remarks, the next model "will be faster" ..."?

Except for the 'and' conjunction this could be referring to the CPU or the overall system speed, but I don't know if that is just how AI wrote up the article.

Arh... thx, no wonder why 802.11g is god damn slow even when i right next to the router.

But cant those be processed by the controller itself rather then a genric CPU?
  • Reply 11 of 41
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Am I missing something, or wouldn't Apple have had to apply for FCC approval by now if they were releasing anything in June?

Remember why the original iPhone was released in January.
  • Reply 12 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meelash View Post

Am I missing something, or wouldn't Apple have had to apply for FCC approval by now if they were releasing anything in June?

Remember why the original iPhone was released in January.

It was announced, not released in January. If I remember correctly Apple was able to keep a lot of the FCC stuff secret with both versions of the phone until the last minute. I forget how or what the exception is, but you can make a request to the FCC to keep everything quite until the product is ready for release, if it falls under certain criteria.
  • Reply 13 of 41
    Danggummit! "Confirmed" is what you have when Apple announces it, not a rumor. If Boy Genus is not an official spokesperson for Apple, which he's NOT, then his use of "confirmed" should not be repeated.
  • Reply 14 of 41
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ksec View Post

Arh... thx, no wonder why 802.11g is god damn slow even when i right next to the router.

But cant those be processed by the controller itself rather then a genric CPU?

It depends on what you're talking about. Stuff like web page rendering, image decoding and so on is currently limited by the CPU. Maybe some of that might be offloaded to the GPU with upcoming models. I have no idea where the wireless decryption is handled, that could be a burden on the CPU, or on the wireless chip, another possibility to think about, even if it's not a big load, maybe it's still there.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

But doesn't "n" get better range and a more stable connection? If someone were trying to keep their LAN at peak efficiency, devices using older standards would hold back the network performance.
  • Reply 15 of 41
    @ Mactel

I don't have an Apple TV but I thought that Remote on the iPhone could control it and even use the keyboard, at least I have read that around the traps.

As for 7.2 HSPDA, well that would at least let the iPhone start to barely use the Telstra 3G network capacity. LOL it would also let the iPhone eat through Telstra's 150Meg ($10) a month download limit heaps faster.

Nothing really surprising in this article. It's not long now, and we'll all know why we will want to line up again to be the first.
  • Reply 16 of 41
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    see, we'll see. Some other boy foretold double tap cut/paste not so long ago. He had surely sniffed it out somewhat right. But not the whole story...
  • Reply 17 of 41
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    So I assume that the new iPhone will have a Cortex A8 CPU and 256MB of RAM then.
  • Reply 18 of 41
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

This is MMS, I presume.
  • Reply 19 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Might as well make it a universal remote for all DVRs. Not surprised this is would come about but just surprised Apple doesn't do this for the AppleTV. Would be nice to use the keyboard on the iPhone over the AppleTVs key entry. How about adding Safari to the AppleTV eh?

That'd all be fun. Safari on the AppleTV, full and easy navigation of AppleTV content via the Apple remote. A universal remote for EVERYTHING would be good too... give me an IR repeater to aim at my stereo, and control everything via the iPhone touch interface?

But the keyboard on the iPhone does replace AppleTV's key entry already. You have to use the Apple IR remote to get to the search pages, but once there the Apple touch remote will pop up the keyboard and you can type.
  • Reply 20 of 41
    Plus, I don't see apple releasing the new Time Capsule and Airport with dual G and N just before releasing both the iPhone and the iPod Touch in the N flavor. Unless I'm wrong it's my understanding that these two are the last items of Apple's product range that are running on 'Wireless- G'. So a faster 3G connection (this will be warmly received within Europe) and normal speed Wi-Fi...

I'm still pretty excited, I'm still on the original iPhone (3G wasn't an interesting upgrade to me) so will be upgrading immediately when I can!