Biggest Hard Drive into MacBook

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I did a search, briefly, & did not find what I was after. I have a late '06 MacBook, 2GHz & 2GB ram. I am also looking to buy a second one for the wife, maybe a new white or a refurb uni.



I am looking to upgrade the HDD & maybe memory on both. I have seen posts where the Aluminum iMac recognized a 1.5TB drive. When I search for "MacBook" drives the biggest I get is 500GB. Is this the biggest it will recognize? I was hoping to put at least a 1TB into the new one, as that will be my wife's work computer.

As for memory, some sites claim the '06 will recognize 3GB, but only if I put in 2-2GB modules? Not sure if that is worth the effort. On the new ones I am seeing 4GB max, but Mac Upgrades claims that the Feb 08 ones go to 6GB, how the hell did that happen?

Comments

  • spinnerlysspinnerlys Posts: 218member
    500 GB is the current maximum for internal laptop drives as they are smaller than their desktop counterparts (2.5" vs. 3.5").

    750 GB should be available by mid 2009 and 1 TB by 2010.



    current 500 GB drives: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...009&name=500GB



    For information on bigger drives: http://www.pbcentral.com/news/viewne...uAEFlurgljyWma
  • futurepastnowfuturepastnow Posts: 1,772member
    Capacity in gigabytes isn't the size issue. Your Macbook will hold a 2.5", 9.5mm thick SATA drive (and yes, I know I just used inches and millimeters in the same sentence. That's the way it works, don't ask why).



    The highest-capacity drive that fits those dimensions is currently 500GB.
  • molethaimolethai Posts: 4member
    Thank you, That is the info I needed.
  • vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Molethai View Post


    Thank you, That is the info I needed.



    You probably want either the Seagate Momentus 7200.4 (7200 rpm) or the WD Scorpio Blue WD5000BEVT (5400 rpm) depending on either speed (Seagate) or power (WD).



    The Scorpio Blue is probably the fastest 5400 rpm drive at the moment. The 7200.4 is said to be fairly quiet.



    I punted and put the 320GB WD Scorpio Black 7200RPM in my mini since the 7200.4 was out of stock at newegg and I was doing a lot of other buys at the same time.
  • backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post


    You probably want either the Seagate Momentus 7200.4 (7200 rpm) or the WD Scorpio Blue WD5000BEVT (5400 rpm) depending on either speed (Seagate) or power (WD).



    The Scorpio Blue is probably the fastest 5400 rpm drive at the moment. The 7200.4 is said to be fairly quiet.



    I punted and put the 320GB WD Scorpio Black 7200RPM in my mini since the 7200.4 was out of stock at newegg and I was doing a lot of other buys at the same time.



    I have the Scorpio blue in my MBP. A user 'upgrade'.



    Its ok. I wish I had the Black. But I needed more room more than I needed speed.
  • vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post


    I have the Scorpio blue in my MBP. A user 'upgrade'.



    Its ok. I wish I had the Black. But I needed more room more than I needed speed.



    The black clicks a little bit in my mini. I can hear it when the TC is sleeping but otherwise it seems okay. The 7200.4 is probably the best of both worlds...
  • backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post


    The black clicks a little bit in my mini. I can hear it when the TC is sleeping but otherwise it seems okay. The 7200.4 is probably the best of both worlds...



    That might be a greater annoyance with a portable that's so close to you at all times vs. a mini that you could move away from you a bit to avoid noise.



    Overall I'm happy with the WD Blue. I doubt I'll change drives in this one again. By the time it needs a new drive I'll probably be looking at a new laptop.
  • vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post


    That might be a greater annoyance with a portable that's so close to you at all times vs. a mini that you could move away from you a bit to avoid noise.



    Overall I'm happy with the WD Blue. I doubt I'll change drives in this one again. By the time it needs a new drive I'll probably be looking at a new laptop.



    I guess clicking is overstating it. More like a soft tapping sound. I keep it right under my monitor so it's a bit further from me than where the HDD is in the MBP (palmrest I think).



    The Momentus is supposed to be quieter I guess. I'll probably try to update my MBP to that.
Sign In or Register to comment.