Disk Warrior advice please.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I have a 24" imac witha 1tb drive which failed to boot recently due to overlapping files, after some searching i found that disk warrior should do the trick. I started it real early sunday morning 4:00am and it's 11:00pm wednesday now it's been on step 6 that entire time pretty much. It's detecting overlapped files and it's currently on file 7056 will it ever end should i stop it it seems to still be going along lot's of people say just let it do it's thing but no one has really ever had 7056 or more files overlapped as far as ive read so what should i do?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    If the file count keeps increasing I would say keep going. Let DiskWarrior take all the time it wants. 1TB is a very large disk and it will a corresponding long time to fix.

By the way, what percentage does that 7056 represent? Do you know the percentage of overlapping files? I ask because I have millions of files on my 250GB disk. You could be in for a very long wait if you are approaching 100 percent bad files. At which time it might be better to grab your backup and start by reformatting your hard drive.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aresee View Post

If the file count keeps increasing I would say keep going. Let DiskWarrior take all the time it wants. 1TB is a very large disk and it will a corresponding long time to fix.

By the way, what percentage does that 7056 represent? Do you know the percentage of overlapping files? I ask because I have millions of files on my 250GB disk. You could be in for a very long wait if you are approaching 100 percent bad files. At which time it might be better to grab your backup and start by reformatting your hard drive.

Well you see heres the funny thing my backup drive died like a week ago and sods law the moment i dont have a backup my mac goes down. So technically i'm screwed time wise. Lot's of people have had big disks and only had a few hundred files that are overlapped, if it is going to detect all my files as overlapped then that's around the million mark ! i'll be here all year. it's still going and is on file 8182 i dunno when it's gonna stop. it's been doing it for like 4 days and what if i cancel and theres only say 9000 files that are overlapped. This programs fault is that it doesn't tell you or even give any indication as to when it will end.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    My condolences. You're doing what I would be doing. It's your call on what you do now.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 879member
    I had a 2TB Raid, that only had about 1TB worth of files, that took 36 hours to rebuild...

Laters...