Quartz Extreme My A Hole!

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Why is it that me with a new Dual 867Mhz DUAL can't have quartz extreme working with my card? I mean i can see when i hide a window in the dock how CPU meter goes up to %60 or each G4!? then goes down.....shouldn't the card be doing the work not the CPU? My card is the GeForce 4MX not such a new card nor old.....i dl a app that tells me if Quartz Extreme is working on my Mac (and it says yes "right!") but why would the CPU do all of the work then?

Is this apples PR talking with there A Hole again?

Or is this going to "fixed" in a update?

Frank_t

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Thats odd, that does not happen on my dual 533 with a gf3mx...
  • Reply 2 of 10
    simple check:

Play a dvd.

Put two or three partially transparent windows (Terminal is a good app for this) over the DVD playback area.

Without QE, the transparency isn't composited. It'll just be a dark green.

Also, try dragging around a partially transparent window. Without QE, both CPUs will quickly max out 100%.

Remember: Quartz Extreme's main purpose is compositing.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    rodukroduk Posts: 706member
    One for the FAQ I think.

An overview of Quartz Extreme can be found <a href="http://arstechnica.com/reviews/02q3/macosx-10.2/macosx-10.2-8.html"; target="_blank">here</a>.

The main advantage of Quartz Extreme is that it uses the GPU, rather than the CPU, for compositing windows.

[ 11-22-2002: Message edited by: RodUK ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 10
    quaremquarem Posts: 254member
    As has been mentioned, Quartz Extreme only accelerates the compositing layer. This layer of Quartz is how it meshes images together to form what is on your screen. I hope that the next major release of Mac OS X, has a new version of Quartz Extreme that also accelerates the drawing layer of Quartz. If it did, then pretty much the whole GUI would be accelerated and thus darn fast, and your CPU wouldn't have to help (that much) either.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    [quote]Originally posted by Quarem:

<strong>As has been mentioned, Quartz Extreme only accelerates the compositing layer. This layer of Quartz is how it meshes images together to form what is on your screen. I hope that the next major release of Mac OS X, has a new version of Quartz Extreme that also accelerates the drawing layer of Quartz. If it did, then pretty much the whole GUI would be accelerated and thus darn fast, and your CPU wouldn't have to help (that much) either.</strong><hr></blockquote>

THAT MUCH!? it goes up to %60 on each G4 on my new Dual! i think that is MUCH...

"cool down frank...it's only aqua..... "

Frank_t
  • Reply 6 of 10
    [quote]Originally posted by frank_t:

<strong>I mean i can see when i hide a window in the dock how CPU meter goes up to %60 or each G4!?<hr></blockquote></strong>

Your lucky.. On my G4 400, AGP Radeon, it takes up all the spare CPU, which is usually about 80-90%! And I have no shadow beneath the cursor... And yes, Quartz is enabled.

<strong> [quote]Is this apples PR talking with there A Hole again?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Think so... The quality of Apple's products has been going down the hill, the last two years...

[ 11-23-2002: Message edited by: T'hain Esh Kelch ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 10
    T'hain, have you updated the video drivers? Are you running 10.2.2?

One of the updates addressed an issue in the video card drivers where Quartz Extreme would not activate and work properly.

The cursor *should* have a shadow if QE is active. I suggest you try my first test with the translucent window over the DVD player. If the translucent window blocks out the DVD playback region, then QE is not working.

You think quality has gone DOWN in the past two years? HA! Obviously you never tried the Mac OS X Public Beta! There have been a huge number of improvements and fixes and new features from requests that have been added to Mac OS X in the past two years. Perhaps you should try things out a computer that isn't OVER two years old before you make these hasty judgements.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    Or Mac OS X PB v.2, AKA 10.0.

• Reply 9 of 10
    quaremquarem Posts: 254member
    [quote]Originally posted by frank_t:

<strong>

THAT MUCH!? it goes up to %60 on each G4 on my new Dual! i think that is MUCH...

"cool down frank...it's only aqua..... "

Frank_t</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yep...it jets up quite a fair bit on my dual 1 GHz with the Genie effect. The scale effect is a little less demanding. Send Apple a feedback and tell them you want Quartz Extreme to accelerate the drawing layer as well. Maybe it will happen.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    [quote]Originally posted by Brad:

<strong>T'hain, have you updated the video drivers? Are you running 10.2.2?

One of the updates addressed an issue in the video card drivers where Quartz Extreme would not activate and work properly.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Agreed, in order to get the cursor shadow on my G4/450 + Mac Radeon, I had to install the latest ATI retail driver update. (QE _was_ working before the update, perhaps just not as efficiently.)