Core Audio, Aggregate Device Editor

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I am doing a podcast where I need to use 2 USB mics.

I used the Audio MIDI Setup with the Aggregate Device Editor to aggregate the 2 mics into one and I then select it in Garageband 3. However, the two mics become left and right channels in GarageBand: mic 1 becomes left, mic 2 becomes right.

How would I make it so that both mics stay the same channel and don't split up l/r?

I can't get a mixer right now.\

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    kmac1036kmac1036 Posts: 281member
    you are SOOO close on this one: you have to set them up in GB 3 as a MONO rec device, not stereo. Are you using headsets? they are stereo headphones with mono mics.

try that!
  • Reply 2 of 4
    alexluftalexluft Posts: 159member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kmac1036 View Post

you are SOOO close on this one: you have to set them up in GB 3 as a MONO rec device, not stereo. Are you using headsets? they are stereo headphones with mono mics.

try that!

Thanks for your reply, but I don't think that did it...

I have a Blue SnowBall Mic (1 channel in on MIDI) and a Logitech headset (1 channel in on MIDI and 2 channels out on MIDI). I also want to be able to hear through the headphone jack of my MacBook alu unibody.

I have set it all up in Aggregate Device Editor and renamed it. Then I went on over to GarageBand 3, changed the input and output to the new aggregate device and then - as you suggested - switched from stereo to mono 1. This makes the Snow Ball mic come in excellent while the Logitech mic comes in very dim. Setting it to mono 2 reverses it.

Am I still doing something wrong? Thanks so much! I'm doing this for my daily tech podcast (TechNest Report) and want to be able to give one of the co-hosts her own mic.

Alex
  • Reply 3 of 4
    alexluftalexluft Posts: 159member
    Bump!!
  • Reply 4 of 4
    kmac1036kmac1036 Posts: 281member
    I'd put it back the way it was where you got the audio, think there's a slider bar in the aggregate builder or garage band to up the level on that 1 mic.

think the snowball is coming stronger because you have 2 people in the same room (?) speaking, so when guest speaks into headset, it might be picking them up too(?) hrm..

I did this with 2 logictech headsets & it worked good, so I know it's doable!

I will also check out your podcast!