New IPhone 4g

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I don't know if you guys have read about that. I've seen a couple post in this forum, but nothing like I have seen on many other site on the web. Just type Iphone 4g in google and many link will show up. They say the new version of the iPhone sohuld have a REAL gps integrated into it as long as mnay other things. Do you think its possible?

And if it is, do you think the new Ipod touch version that we ear about wold have the same feature? It would be an amzing product to compete the GPS manufacturer. Currentyl I know there a kind of dongle GPS that you can plug into the IPod touch, but a real GPS would be much better!

I wanted to buy one, but after reading these things....might wait till this summer...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheGreatOne View Post

I don't know if you guys have read about that. I've seen a couple post in this forum, but nothing like I have seen on many other site on the web. Just type Iphone 4g in google and many link will show up. They say the new version of the iPhone sohuld have a REAL gps integrated into it as long as mnay other things. Do you think its possible?

And if it is, do you think the new Ipod touch version that we ear about wold have the same feature? It would be an amzing product to compete the GPS manufacturer. Currentyl I know there a kind of dongle GPS that you can plug into the IPod touch, but a real GPS would be much better!

I wanted to buy one, but after reading these things....might wait till this summer...

All will be revealed here:-

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...june_8_12.html
  • Reply 2 of 11
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:

... the iPhone sohuld have a REAL gps integrated into it ...

What do you mean by REAL GPS?
  • Reply 3 of 11
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Tournament GPS...
  • Reply 4 of 11
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aresee View Post

I think he means TurnByTurn and installed maps. At least, I hope that is what he means. Even if that is the case, Apple didn't say these would be in 3.0 but would be allowed as third party apps.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aresee View Post

What I mean is currently it's not a real GPS in the iPhone...its triangulation positionning using cell towers. A real GPS meas a chip in the harware capable of real GPS positioning as long as turn by turn software.

If they ever have that in the iPhone as well as the new iPod, it would be amazing.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    mysticmystic Posts: 514member
    Quote:

What I mean is currently it's not a real GPS in the iPhone...its triangulation positionning using cell towers. A real GPS meas a chip in the harware capable of real GPS positioning as long as turn by turn software.

If they ever have that in the iPhone as well as the new iPod, it would be amazing.

The iPhone Does have a GPS chip.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/features/maps.html

http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html
  • Reply 7 of 11
    taskisstaskiss Posts: 1,212member
    Quote:

The iPhone is reported to use Infineon?s PMB 2525 Hammerhead II

It is a "real" gps chip.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Get the signal.

In addition to A-GPS, iPhone 3G uses signals from GPS satellites, Wi-Fi hot spots, and cellular towers to get the most accurate location fast. If GPS is available, iPhone displays a blue GPS indicator. But if you?re inside ? without a clear line of sight to a GPS satellite ? iPhone finds you via Wi-Fi. If you?re not in range of a Wi-Fi hot spot, iPhone finds you using cellular towers. And the size of a location circle tells you how accurately iPhone is able to calculate that location: The smaller the circle, the more accurate the location.

quoted from http://www.apple.com/iphone/features/gps.html
  • Reply 9 of 11
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mystic View Post

The iPhone Does have a GPS chip.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/features/maps.html

http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html

It's quite obvious that it does, as can be shown easily by the following observations; when you are in a building and there is no satellite information available your position is indicated by a circle derived by triangulation of cellphone towers and wifi things, when you go outside that focuses to a blue dot, further to this when you go outside cellphone coverage and lose Google maps your position is still indicated by a blue dot on a grey background.

This is known as assisted GPS or A-GPS.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    ohhh....I must have misread something. thats good to know. The new I pod touch should also have that chip in...would be nice plus a turn by turn software.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Does anyone know if iPhones have WAAS? If not, I hope they add WAAS to the GPS capability. The GPS itself has me very excited. TurnbyTurn would obviously be the best. Also would be cool if you lost it to be able to locate it by logging in to MobMe or have it email you coordinates. Now what would be reeeeeally cool is if they worked with Trimble or Garmin or just on their own implemented software that allowed post-processing data correction with base stations. Hell YES that's survey-quality GPS we're talkin' 'bout. That means all us consulting engineers/scientists get iPhones instead of Trimble WInCE tricorders (XRS with TerraSync). Oh snap...imagine ESRI ArcPad on the iPhone. GPS is really, really cool, I see a lot happening here. I must admit I'm a bit nervous as a GRMN owner actually. Good thing I have more AAPL.