kernel origins

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
What kernel was System 1 based on? I know the current OS X is a hybrid Unix kernel. I'm wondering if all of Apples OS's had Unix roots. Just curios to be honest.

Good artists copy great artists steal. - Pablo Picasso

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    dnisbetdnisbet Posts: 201member
    I think the OS was originally written by Apple between OS 9 and earlier, no unix involved.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    mysticmystic Posts: 514member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dnisbet View Post

I think the OS was originally written by Apple between OS 9 and earlier, no unix involved.

http://www.kernelthread.com/publicat...ppleoshistory/.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Hi Comzee. If enjoy reading about early Macintosh history - you might also like to read this article called The Father of the Macintosh and also this one called Articles from Jef Raskin about the history of the Macintosh.

Jef Raskin was Apple employee #31 and named the Macintosh project - ?for my favorite kind of eatin? apple, the succulent McIntosh.? I think Steve Jobs had proposed "Bicycle" for the name (Yikes! I could be using an iBike to write this post).

Jeff died in 2005 but his legacy of working on the Mac and human interface design lives on. There are plenty of other Mac history links out there on various members of the original design team. You can look up all the names and do a search to find more info. Take care.