MBP won't sleep - Now *Volume needs repair*

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I've begun to notice problems with my MBP 15" recently. First, it was a noise near the bottom of the monitor (and slightly left) which seems associated with the brightness of the screen when I switch on the computer, but then goes away.

More recently, I've noticed that the computer does not go to sleep when left alone as it used to. Bluetooth is inactive, I've checked the energy settings, I've reset PRAM and restarted the SMC.

I decided to check the HD to test for problems as I saw this as one potential fix on a forum. Instead, I got this:

Quote:

Verifying volume ?Macintosh?

Checking HFS Plus volume.

Checking Extents Overflow file.

Checking Catalog file.

Checking multi-linked files.

Checking Catalog hierarchy.

Checking Extended Attributes file.

Checking volume bitmap.

Checking volume information.

Volume Header needs minor repair

The volume Macintosh needs to be repaired.

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

Disk Utility stopped verifying ?Macintosh? because the following error was encountered:

The underlying task reported failure on exit

1 HFS volume checked

\tVolume needs repair

Now I'm scared and don't know what to do. Help!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    try starting the computer with command-s.

It will open on the prompt, like terminal.

type:

fsck -fy

and wait, the system will get a good repair.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    It's an odd problem. After I booted in safe mode and scanned the HD, Disk Utility found no errors. I also ran a hardware check which came up fine.

I found a fix which suggested I change hibernate mode from 3 to 0. This fix worked, but then it stopped working and I could not locate the problem.

At this point, I believe it is an issue with Firefox 3 - there is a known problem regarding certain processes that keep the HD active. However, Mozilla have not yet fixed it. I may, therefore, return to using Firefox 2.