should I wait or upgrade

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Can someone help me to decide on upgrading now or waiting.

Under AT & T's new early upgrade, I can upgrade currently to the new iphone. Is it worth it, or should I wait till the new Iphone comes out?

Of course I would love to have the newest Iphone, but I am hesitant because I am not sure about waiting for the following reasons:

1) Possible glitches in the new Iphone (not sure if it would be considered a "1st generation")

2) Possible price hikes. (The new iphone may be more expensive than the current one)

3) Possible price hikes in the service (I think I remember that service was increased by $10.00 monthly when the 3g came out.)

4) Hopes of a service price reduction. (I know that one big criticism of AT & T is the price of their service and am hoping they will reduce it to keep competitive. If I am locked into a 2 year plan from upgrading, I am afraid I will not get the new lower pricing.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    taskisstaskiss Posts: 1,212member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by abirozy View Post

Can someone help me to decide on upgrading now or waiting.

Under AT & T's new early upgrade, I can upgrade currently to the new iphone. Is it worth it, or should I wait till the new Iphone comes out?

Its up to you to decide if the bird in the hand is better than the bird in the bush. For me, a better camera and incremental storage or speed increases are irrelevant. I have a 3G now, my wife has a 1st gen (a hand-me-down from me), and we're happy with our phones and it would take a really big improvement in the design to get us to change.
    Quote:

Of course I would love to have the newest Iphone, but I am hesitant because I am not sure about waiting for the following reasons:

1) Possible glitches in the new Iphone (not sure if it would be considered a "1st generation")

Not likely, I'd say. The 1st gen phone was remarkably well designed and produced, and I don't see that quality declining.
    Quote:

2) Possible price hikes. (The new iphone may be more expensive than the current one)

Not too likely, I'd say. They would want to sell and the current economy coupled with the fact that there's not as much demand (unless it really has an improved design) suggests a hike wouldn't fly. It's an incremental improvement, not like the difference between EDGE and 3G, after all...
    Quote:

3) Possible price hikes in the service (I think I remember that service was increased by $10.00 monthly when the 3g came out.)

Entirely possible, I'd guess another $10 or so
    Quote:

4) Hopes of a service price reduction. (I know that one big criticism of AT & T is the price of their service and am hoping they will reduce it to keep competitive. If I am locked into a 2 year plan from upgrading, I am afraid I will not get the new lower pricing.

I'm of the opinion that a reduction in plan pricing is wishful thinking.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    I think it really just depends how long you want to wait... the sooner you do it the sooner your contract is up