Microsoft's latest ad attacks Mac aesthetics, computing power

Comments

• Reply 121 of 520
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by parky View Post

And your point is?

Many cars have the same specs too, why buy a premium car over a cheap model?

Why BECAUSE IT IS THE ONE THAT YOU WANT.

You can always find something cheaper, does not mean you have to buy it.

Do you buy the cheapest of everything, do you own any brands? Look at yourself.

Well said.
  • Reply 122 of 520
    I recently switched from PC to Mac because of the constant crashes, failures and increasingly slow processing of my Dell. One of the best things, for me, that I like about Mac is the tech support. I've initiated an online contact for various questions I've had about my new Mac and had a call-back within seconds of clicking "call me now". That is opposed to being on the phone more than an hour, getting the run around, talking to someone in Sri Lanka or India or any of the other umteen countries where Dell has tech support only to have my problem remain. With my Dell's last crash, it went into the trash. HP, Dell...they're all the same! Unreliable system hogs without reliable customer support. Along with reliability, as far as I am concerned, it's service after the sale that is important to me. Just my $0.02 worth.
  • Reply 123 of 520
    jegsjegs Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GMHut View Post

If I understand the point you are trying to make, you might want to pick up a copy of, "Economics for Dummies." Market share is not tied to quality or performance due to a multitude of variables. Generally, market share is higher for the low to mid range quality and price tier, while the high end tier has the lower market share.

You don't have to have the higher volume sales to have the better product or to be profitable and successful.

Lol. You Mac geeks are some funny freakin people. I like life on my tier.
  • Reply 124 of 520
    gmhutgmhut Posts: 242member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SmilinGoat View Post

you can run windows on a mac, yes. did you not know that you can also run OSX on a PC?

like the last guy you attacked, i like both companies, both have their high points, i own products from both companies, and recently was looking into getting a new iMac... however the problem is i wont be able to, the price is just too high for what you get, im willing to spend the $2200 needed for a top of the line model, but when i compare that to the OLD Dell AiO XPS one, you get more ram, more power, and blu-ray, for less money. thats not to mention that th new one is out soon, and offers even more, and doesnt look shitty space age like the last one.

i just cant spend my money on an apple product when it means losing out on so much, just to have the apple name on it.

now, i will be getting an update on my contract for the iPhone, because that isnt crazy over priced compared to other things in the cell phone market, now they need to turn around and do that with their computers.

Do you have any idea the hoops you have to jump through to run OS X on a PC? Even worse, do you have any idea what it takes to keep it running? Unless you are a hobbiest who enjoys that particular brand of pain for the challenge of it, I wouldn't recommend it. It doesn't exactly, "Just work." I agree with you that Apple needs to address it's pricing. Not necessarily at a particular dollar per spec point (although I wouldn't complain if they did) but more along the lines of configuring a mid tier product between "stripped or tricked out to the max)?all ready been discussed to death on this forum.

Apparently, you missed the part where I said, "I see nothing wrong with legitimate gripes about some of Apple's mistakes, every company makes them."

And I stand by the fact that anyone who says, "Microsoft rocks in everything they do" on a site called, "Apple Insider" is 1). Wrong about Microsoft and 2). Trolling.

If you think someone posting a response to such comments is an "attack" you should probably stay off message boards all together. You appear to be a little too thinned skinned.
  • Reply 125 of 520
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

You can thank Apple for the fact that Windows ever existed at all. Gates sent himself into a tizzy and was convinced MS was dead the day he saw the first Mac.

How the hell do you even know that - were you inside Bill Gates head? or are you referring to a movie with Noah Wyle as Steve Jobs? And why would a Mac "send him into a tizzy"- I don't recall Gates and Microsoft making a computer- ever.
  • Reply 126 of 520
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jegs View Post

Lol. You Mac geeks are some funny freakin people. I like life on my tier.

lol. You geeks who make non-statements and pretend said "nuggets of wisdom" somehow pass for logic are just plain freaks. Enjoy your PC.
  • Reply 127 of 520
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

Well said.

no its not. its a closed minded way to think at a time where the global economy has shrunk over 10% in 1 year.

personally i do own SOME brands. when i buy beer, i buy micro beers, by the brand i like. which do cost a little more. but i dont drink beer to get drunk, im paying for the flavor, not the effect.

my clothes pretty much come exclusively from old navy, which is kind of a brand... they costs a little more than walmart, but they last for years. sure its doesnt have a giant A&F logo on the front, but maybe im just more comfortable with myself and my place in society being a college graduate, to not feel the need to show off wealth.
  • Reply 128 of 520
    Quote:

And I stand by the fact that anyone who says, "Microsoft rocks in everything they do" on a site called, "Apple Insider" is 1). Wrong about Microsoft and 2). Trolling.

If you think someone posting a response to such comments is an "attack" you should probably stay off message boards all together. You appear to be a little too thinned skinned.

yeah, and you completely ignore the fact that he loves Apples as well. just because someone is open minded enough to like both companies at the same time does not make them a troll. if they made a "i like apple and microsoft forum" then people like us would have a different place to go. but there isnt one, not one with any traffic anyway.

for now you'll just have to deal with us sound minded "trolls" and deal with having to read both sides to every story...
  • Reply 129 of 520
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

How the hell do you even know that - were you inside Bill Gates head? or are you referring to a movie with Noah Wyle as Steve Jobs? And why would a Mac "send him into a tizzy"- I don't recall Gates and Microsoft making a computer- ever.

MS made a clunky non-gui based interface that required a certain level of programming to use, offered text on a solid background, and virtually no graphics capabilities compared to the Mac's GUI (the first commercially available for the masses).

Adobe exists today because the Mac provided a platform to run graphics applications (most of Adobe's core products started out either as their own product or products from companies they acquired as Mac only applications until Windows came out).

Windows was released in direct response to the first Apple OS. It's no secret, it's history.
  • Reply 130 of 520
    Quote:

You can thank Apple for the fact that Windows ever existed at all. Gates sent himself into a tizzy and was convinced MS was dead the day he saw the first Mac.

I see nothing wrong with legitimate gripes about some of Apple's mistakes, every company makes them. But with a statement like, "Microsoft rocks in everything they do" it's obvious you've never used either companies products (which I doubt), you are delusional, or you are a troll, either way, it's just plain sad. I hope MS is paying you well.

hahaha

I use an iMac.

I use a PC.

I have Mac OS and Vista

I got a nano and an iPhone

I have an Xbox

Shut up now
  • Reply 131 of 520
    Quote:

And what do you call those that only spew forth posts that 1.(Apple makes know mistakes and 2.)always knows what you want and when you want it ie, video on a phone, MMS pic and texts, blu-ray drives, cd burners, non-replaceable batteries etc, etc ,etc and 3.) swear that MicroSoft is the anti-Christ, Legion, and Beezulbub and has never made a decent product???? They also label any critique on anything Apple as either a complaint or a whine.

You name call those on one side of the spectrum(trolling) may be valid but totally ignores those on the other side -those posters that post and attack legitimate critiques daily- nonstop. What do you call them?
  • Reply 132 of 520
    I agree that the new Macbook Pros look really good, but the best thing about the new macs for me is that they caused a major price drop of the ?old? Macbook Pros on Amazon back in December 2008. I picked up a 15″ 2.5 GHz Macbook Pro with 512 MB NVidia video RAM for $1500 on Amazon after rebate. Don?t get me wrong, $1500 still seems like a TON of money to spend on a laptop, but I dare you to match those specs for less ? on whatever OS. Of course I wasn?t about to spend $700 more for the new version of MBP with the same specs either (plus I had to have a matte screen ? just personal preference).

I like macs and pcs for different reasons. They both have their strong points, and the truth is that I can do what I need to do on either one. So while it looks like there is a huge price difference between the two, if you shop around you?ll find that it?s not as big as you think. I say that, but the deal I got is gone. The same laptop I bought is now back up around $1700 ? which is just out of range for the $1500 spending cap in the ad. If you want to look at price extremes, the new 17″ Macbook Pro is ?insanely? priced at a cool $2700. The laptop hunters should have fun with that one.

Ultimately, I think Windows 7 will even things out quite a bit. I?m already running the beta in a VM on my MBP, and I think Microsoft is headed in the right direction. (If only they would get rid of the whole hide-everything-in-the-registry idea and go with a more stable Unix-based architecture. Just think what all those programmers could come up with if stability was more important than DRM!) Maybe I?m just too practical to really engage in this mac vs. pc thing. It seems to be a lot about personal preference. I like the hardware I chose because it?s fast, light, thin, and has a decent (3 hr) battery. If someone else finds a better deal on something else, good for them. At this point I am a little partial to macs ? mainly out of habit and ease of migration. That said, I am seriously considering a PC for a media center.

I know I haven?t done a good job separating hardware and software here, and part of this is because pcs and macs have such different approaches here. With pcs, you have lots of hardware choices, and with macs? well, you don?t. I think it would be really interesting to separate the operating system from the hardware on the mac side of things, and it?s starting to happen. I would like to see more ?hackintosh? desktops in the future ? non-Apple desktops capable of running OSX. I don?t see a clear winner in the mac vs. pc race, but it?s great to see the user experience improving on both sides. For that reason alone let?s keep the competition going! In the end I hope the winner will be the customer.
  • Reply 133 of 520
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgreencrna View Post

I recently switched from PC to Mac because of the constant crashes, failures and increasingly slow processing of my Dell. One of the best things, for me, that I like about Mac is the tech support. I've initiated an online contact for various questions I've had about my new Mac and had a call-back within seconds of clicking "call me now". That is opposed to being on the phone more than an hour, getting the run around, talking to someone in Sri Lanka or India or any of the other umteen countries where Dell has tech support only to have my problem remain. With my Dell's last crash, it went into the trash. HP, Dell...they're all the same! Unreliable system hogs without reliable customer support. Along with reliability, as far as I am concerned, it's service after the sale that is important to me. Just my $0.02 worth.

Sounds like you and every Mac user keeps using outdated computers... IE: PowerPCs and Old Win Machines....

I used new Dells and HPs with Vista and never crashes..... Sad to be you with crap hardware. Next time I sell old hardware both Mac or PC, I know I can count of thousands of people will to buy my junk
  • Reply 134 of 520
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kenburg View Post

Apple's hardware margin is 32%. You know they're making more than that on software sales - everyone does. Microsoft is a software company. HP is probably lucky to make 10% on their hardware.

Wrong.

Apple's margin on everything is 32%. Microsoft's is 82%. Apple's software prices are the lowest in the industry for the products they sell.

You can talk about it all you want and make up whatever scenarios you want, but the facts are going to stay the same.

Apple uses a standard (healthy but low) retail margin on everything. Microsoft charges huge prices for it's software because it's a monopoly and it knows it can, so it does.

The main reason a PC can be had cheaper than a Mac is that the hardware manufacturers all have to buy Windows to sell the hardware and have to kick back that part of the profit to Microsoft. They all compete with each other over the crumbs and reduce their margins down to the razor-thin variety so as to win the sale. Microsoft on the other hand, never reduces their margins.

Microsoft's software sales are like a giant leech hanging on to the side of the hardware sales, sucking all the profitability out of the market. If there were even two viable desktop operating systems that could compete in that market, the price of MS's software would plummet and start to approach it's real cost which is tiny in comparison to it's retail price.
  • Reply 135 of 520
    Quote:

yeah, and you completely ignore the fact that he loves Apples as well. just because someone is open minded enough to like both companies at the same time does not make them a troll.

No, I didn't ignore what he said. What he actually said was, "I like both companies... Both for different reasons." Then he went on to say that everything Microsoft does, "Rocks".

It just didn't jive with the rest of what he (or she) said. I am a Mac user, have been for 20+ years now (and sometimes on rare occasions a Windows user). I wouldn't, however, go to a site called, say, "MicrosoftInsider.com" and say, "I like both companies for different reasons but everything Apple does rocks" without expecting a less than favorable response.

Yet I have been about as vocal condemning some of the mistakes IMO I feel Apple makes as anyone you will find on this website. You don't have to be Sherlock Holmes to find it difficult to believe that anyone who "loves macs" as you put it, would come to a site like this and make a statement along the lines of, "Everything Microsoft does rocks" but isn't trolling.

Quote:

for now you'll just have to deal with us sound minded "trolls" and deal with having to read both sides to every story...

LOL. Of course no one reads every post on a website, but you might want to read some of my other posts in other threads on this site before you make such a statement.
  • Reply 136 of 520
    Quote:

MS made a clunky non-gui based interface that required a certain level of programming to use, offered text on a solid background, and virtually no graphics capabilities compared to the Mac's GUI (the first commercially available for the masses).

Adobe exists today because the Mac provided a platform to run graphics applications (most of Adobe's core products started out either as their own product or products from companies they acquired as Mac only applications until Windows came out).

Windows was released in direct response to the first Apple OS. It's no secret, it's history.

And Gates going into a tizzy and convinced that Microsoft was dead that day he saw a Mac (as you've stated ??-What history book are you referencing in that bold statement? Where did Bill Gates say that? It sounds like you been reading the Apple Enquire.
  • Reply 137 of 520
    Quote:

And what do you call those that only spew forth posts that 1.(Apple makes know mistakes and 2.)always knows what you want and when you want it ie, video on a phone, MMS pic and texts, blu-ray drives, cd burners, non-replaceable batteries etc, etc ,etc and 3.) swear that MicroSoft is the anti-Christ, Legion, and Beezulbub and has never made a decent product???? They also label any critique on anything Apple as either a complaint or a whine.

You name call those on one side of the spectrum(trolling) may be valid but totally ignores those on the other side -those posters that post and attack legitimate critiques daily- nonstop. What do you call them?

Uh, you don't recognize my user name or some of the posts I've made in threads you've posted to as well do you? If you had, you'd know that I am far from a biased Apple fanboy. There is a difference between an opposing viewpoint, rational critique, and blatant flame bating.
  • Reply 138 of 520
    Quote:

And what do you call those that only spew forth posts that 1.(Apple makes know mistakes and 2.)always knows what you want and when you want it ie, video on a phone, MMS pic and texts, blu-ray drives, cd burners, non-replaceable batteries etc, etc ,etc???? They also label any critique on anything Apple as either a complaint or a whine.

exactly, i love a lot about my apple products. my iPhone is the single best device IN THE WORLD. not because it does anything perfectly, but because it does just about anything you could imagine. My Mac? i like OSX, but it also has limitations, and when i have it networked it tends to crash a lot, especially when i was in college. it would freeze as well, and has had to be repaired 3 times in 4 years. but 90% of the time, i prefer to use it, just for the simple tasks that i run into, OSX tends to make them more enjoyable, and quicker when i need them to be quick (as certain programs are more well rounded).

now, all the positives are CONSTANTLY being said about Macs on this forum. Why would i just be a sheep and say the same thing as everyone else constantly? now sometimes i do, particularly with the iPhone, however most of the time what could be said has already been said. the negatives though? they are rarely mentioned, and considering i like both Mac and PC/MS i make it a point to post the other side as well. if there wasnt a select number of members doing this then the site might as well be Mac fans standing around, smug as hell, smelling their own farts.

there is nothing wrong with having both sides to every story.
  • Reply 139 of 520
    Quote:

Then clarify your posts before posting next time-it was the Mac OS that caused the Gate's concern not the Mac itself.

It's also history that Microsoft for the most part rules the world.
  • Reply 140 of 520
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kenburg View Post

Apple's hardware margin is 32%. You know they're making more than that on software sales - everyone does. Microsoft is a software company. HP is probably lucky to make 10% on their hardware.

You don't know what you're talking about, unfortunately. Please inform yourself before making such statements.

Apple's TTM (trailing twelve months') gross margin on all its products is 34%. Its operating margin is a shade less than 20% (although it was slightly higher last quarter, 21%). Apple does not break out its margins by hardware versus software segments. The only segment margin data you get is for various geographical areas + retail. (Where MSFT combines hardware and software in a product, e.g., its Zune or XBox division, it does not break out hardware versus software margins either).

Also, we know that MSFT is a monopoly -- both US and EU courts have ruled on that. So we know that its margins, whatever they are, must be higher than that of a competitive player, and that it must come out of consumer surplus.