When will Apple adopt 16:9 screens?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Not that I want them to...it's just that I notice a lot of other manufacturers starting offer more and more notebooks with 16:9 displays. I've read that LCD panel makers are standardizing on this screen ratio because it's more cost effective for them. Where there's smoke there's usually fire and I'm curious what everyone thinks will be the time line for this transition? Fall?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 73
    I'd think probably at LEAST a year from now, because Apple takes design changes very seriously.

I really hope they don't though, because i'm gonna get less and less content on my screen when i'm writing essays and such.
  • Reply 2 of 73
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Why would you want 16:9 when 16:10 gives you more screen real estate? With 16:10 you can run 16:9 HD content and still have some room above or below for whatever.
  • Reply 3 of 73
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    16:10 - the closest to Golden Ratio, 16:9, apart from being cost effective doesn't actually have any advantage.

It properly also depends on SJ view on it. If he is a 16:10 guy then we may never see 16:9 on Mac.
  • Reply 4 of 73
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    The cinema displays were explicitly 16:10 so you could see 16:9 video for editing and have a few toolbars available for FCP or room at the bottom for QT Pro widgets. Steve said so when they were launched. Now why would someone want to restrict their screen physical dimensions so they cannot edit a full width/resolution stream without covering up part of the picture???

16:9 is great for a TV where you won't have editing tools to deal with. Computers and their monitors should not be primarily designed to watch TV but primarily designed as a tool which can do TV without loss.
  • Reply 5 of 73
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

Not that I want them to...it's just that I notice a lot of other manufacturers starting offer more and more notebooks with 16:9 displays. I've read that LCD panel makers are standardizing on this screen ratio because it's more cost effective for them. Where there's smoke there's usually fire and I'm curious what everyone thinks will be the time line for this transition? Fall?

By "cost effective" they probably mean that they can share the same fabs for both TV panels and computer panels.

Personally, I think the market is big enough to support more than one ratio.
  • Reply 6 of 73
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

The cinema displays were explicitly 16:10 so you could see 16:9 video for editing and have a few toolbars available for FCP or room at the bottom for QT Pro widgets. Steve said so when they were launched. Now why would someone want to restrict their screen physical dimensions so they cannot edit a full width/resolution stream without covering up part of the picture???

16:9 is great for a TV where you won't have editing tools to deal with. Computers and their monitors should not be primarily designed to watch TV but primarily designed as a tool which can do TV without loss.

Well said.

I hope Apple have in store new displays coming soon. Specially a larger than 30" display. For folks that design motion graphics or edit video/film content that would be a blessing.

It's about time.
  • Reply 7 of 73
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    I can tell you my gut feeling is if the costs really come down (16:9 is cheaper to manufacture apparently) ~~ Apple will switch to it and then market it as "HD super good stuff woot"...

Even though the amount of vertical resolution you are losing is significant going from 16:10 to 16:9 ... But hey, welcome to the HD world.
  • Reply 8 of 73
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ksec View Post

16:10 - the closest to Golden Ratio, 16:9, apart from being cost effective doesn't actually have any advantage.

It properly also depends on SJ view on it. If he is a 16:10 guy then we may never see 16:9 on Mac.

I'm curious as to when SJ went from a Matte guy to a Glossy guy.
  • Reply 9 of 73
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

That's a good question.

After a walk through Best Buy the other day, just about all of the notebooks made from other manufacturers have a glossy display. Some of them are also framed in black. I was surprised just how many of them have moved to the 16:9 panels.

I am now more convinced that Apple is going to migrate their entire product line to the 16:9 display ratio soon, probably starting with the MacBook.
  • Reply 10 of 73
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

I am now more convinced that Apple is going to migrate their entire product line to the 16:9 display ratio soon, probably starting with the MacBook.

I've got a bridge in Brooklyn that I can't afford to keep in this economy. I'm willing to let it go--cheap. If you are interested in helping out a fellow Mac user, then have your people get in touch with my people.
  • Reply 11 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

I've got a bridge in Brooklyn that I can't afford to keep in this economy. I'm willing to let it go--cheap. If you are interested in helping out a fellow Mac user, then have your people get in touch with my people.

No, it's more like, "Monkey see, monkey do."
  • Reply 12 of 73
    Quote:

Probably when glossy screens became cheaper than matte, thus increasing his margins. It's all about the money.
  • Reply 13 of 73
    Quote:

When his black and glass phase happened.
  • Reply 14 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John French View Post

When his black and glass phase happened.

The look of Apple's notebooks closely resembles the look of the iPhone. I think it's a case of the dog waging the tail here. I am sure Apple is trying to milk the halo effect of the iPhone onto their Macs.
  • Reply 15 of 73
    Interesting article related to this on Digitimes:

http://digitimes.com/news/a20090428PD209.html
  • Reply 16 of 73
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Interesting article related to this on Digitimes:

http://digitimes.com/news/a20090428PD209.html

Count me in with the group that thinks that we'll be standardizing on 16x9

Thus if Apple goes above 24" on an iMac it'll be a 26" panel most likely.
  • Reply 17 of 73
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    short answer straight from campus :
    PHP Code:

<!-- php buffer start --><code><span style="color: #000000">
    <span style="color: #0000BB">Absolutely&nbsp;positively&nbsp;never</span><span style="color: #007700">.&nbsp;
    <br /></span><span style="color: #0000BB"></span>
    </span>

16:9 is only for movies, 16:10 is what apple generally uses.
  • Reply 18 of 73
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    It will be 27" not 26, there will never be a mac ever (unless it's a TV) that is 16:9.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Count me in with the group that thinks that we'll be standardizing on 16x9

Thus if Apple goes above 24" on an iMac it'll be a 26" panel most likely.

• Reply 19 of 73
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webmail View Post

It will be 27" not 26, there will never be a mac ever (unless it's a TV) that is 16:9.

Then they might have to stop making all in ones and notebooks in the very near future. It doesn't matter what Apple's preferences are if 16:10 panels stop being made.

Add "this to the Apple will never..." list. They usually end up happening.
  • Reply 20 of 73
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webmail View Post

Actually it would most likely be 26" not 27" because most of the IPS panels are 26" inch though they do run at 1980x1200

NEC LCD2690WUXi

Planar PX2611W

LG W2600HP

Hazro HZ26Wi

I'm not aware of any IPS monitors over 26". I have a 27.5 Hannspree monitor that's 1980x1080 and definitely not IPS.