any way to turn off tooltips?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
The little yellow tooltip things that pop up when you mouse over a text field or button have gotten to be really annoying to me. I know what everything does, I don't need them and they cause my system to slow down momentarily (iBook 500) whenever they pop up. Is there any way I can get rid of them? Like a 3rd party utility or command-line mojo? Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    [quote]Originally posted by hotboxd:

<strong>The little yellow tooltip things that pop up when you mouse over a text field or button have gotten to be really annoying to me. I know what everything does, I don't need them and they cause my system to slow down momentarily (iBook 500) whenever they pop up. Is there any way I can get rid of them? Like a 3rd party utility or command-line mojo? Thanks.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Tooltips are configurable on an app-by-app basis. IOW, it's up to the developer to implement them, and up to them to offer a control to turn them off. I don't believe there's a global setting.

You'll notice, I'm sure, that the Finder doesn't display tooltips -- except for filenames are that have been shortened by ellipses.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I know that Internet Explorer and Netscape both have options to not show tooltips. I don't know about other applications though, I'm not much of a hacker so I don't really know how you'd disable them if the application doesn't give you the option to.