Backup

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
If I burn my OSX home folder to a CD, will that back up all of my system settings?

In other words, if I do this and then I loose my whole system, will I only have to copy this stuff back (Library files etc...) and re-install software?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    quaremquarem Posts: 254member
    Should work. All of "your" files are stored in your home folder. This is assuming that you save your documents, music, photos, etc to your home folder instead of scattering it around the hard disk. If you ever had to recover your system this way you wouldn't want to just copy over all of your preferences, (such as com.apple.blah) because you should just use the new ones.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    [quote]Originally posted by Quarem:

<strong>Should work. All of "your" files are stored in your home folder. This is assuming that you save your documents, music, photos, etc to your home folder instead of scattering it around the hard disk. If you ever had to recover your system this way you wouldn't want to just copy over all of your preferences, (such as com.apple.blah) because you should just use the new ones.</strong><hr></blockquote>

It should work just fine for most things, as quarem said. There's no reason not to just copy everything over if there you lost your data b/c of a HD crash or something. If you've got some corrupt something or other going on, you probably don't want to just copy the prefs over. But the important stuff should be saved if you use OS X as it's intended (a multi-user environment, with each user his/her own home location).
  • Reply 3 of 3
    And dont forget the applications you download from the internet. Take them and us stuffit to put them all on an .sit and put them on a cd too. Its such a biotch to find all the little stuff and download them again.