Upgrading an original Mac Pro

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
So, I recently bit the bullet and got my hands on an original 2006 Mac Pro. I'm considering some upgrades:

1) It needs more RAM! The question I have is if anyone knows if it's safe to use some 800Mhz modules from the next generation of Mac Pro in this machine? I happen to have some on hand and would like to use them if I can...

2) I need to get up and running with my bluetooth keyboard. Does anyone have experience in obtaining/installing a bluetooth module for this machine? I'd rather keep my USB ports free, if possible, and am thus shying away from an external adaptor.

3) I'm thinking an Airport Extreme card might be a good add-on as well, but I'd like to hear from anyone who's had experience in installing one of these as well.

4) I also need an eSATA card - any group experiences here?

5) Lastly, I'd love to hear what the board thinks about who makes the best external DIY hard drive enclosures.

Lots of questions, I know, and thanks in advance for any responses.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    1) The 800MHz modules work just fine (but there's obviously no speed benefit).
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wienerdog View Post

Are you using all of the internal SATA ports (in addition to the four for hard drives, there are two on the motherboard for future optical drives)? If not, one of these should work great and plug right into one of the unused ports: eSATA bracket

There are also two port models. The 15" cable should be more than long enough, if it isn't, you're out six bucks.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    seek3rseek3r Posts: 179member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

Are you using all of the internal SATA ports (in addition to the four for hard drives, there are two on the motherboard for future optical drives)? If not, one of these should work great and plug right into one of the unused ports: eSATA bracket

There are also two port models. The 15" cable should be more than long enough, if it isn't, you're out six bucks.

Bear in mind that the internal ports cannot hot-swap, any drive you use on them as eSATA will have to be connected at boot.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    seek3rseek3r Posts: 179member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wienerdog View Post

2) I need to get up and running with my bluetooth keyboard. Does anyone have experience in obtaining/installing a bluetooth module for this machine? I'd rather keep my USB ports free, if possible, and am thus shying away from an external adaptor.

It's relatively easy assuming you can get the card, same with wireless. Slide in the card into its place on the mobo, plug in the antennae wires and you're good.

Quote:

Depends on how much you want to drop, what's your price range?

Quote:

5) Lastly, I'd love to hear what the board thinks about who makes the best external DIY hard drive enclosures.

I've always liked the Macally Enclosures for ex. the PHR-S100SUA and the like
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by seek3r View Post

Bear in mind that the internal ports cannot hot-swap, any drive you use on them as eSATA will have to be connected at boot.

Interesting. That means Apple isn't using AHCI. You should be able to plug and unplug drives at will from any modern SATA controller.