Why I had to go back to 10.4.11 from 10.5.6...

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I have been wanting to use 10.4.x for sometime but I had been using 10.5.x for a little while. I have always stuck by a rule that the even number Mac OS systems are better than the odd numbered ones.

Sounds funny but, 10.4 is like a finalized 10.3. Interesting enough 10.2 was a complete wrap up of 10.1, and 10.0 was a final of Mac OS X Preview. As a side note this is why I know 10.6 is going to be really great.

One thing that is completely destroyed in 10.5 is permissions, I get by with a little help from my friends, BatChMod in general. But my goodness why can't you use the finder for permissions? Cause it's broke. Second thing about 10.5 is that it's a mix and match of 32-bit and 64-bit code. I think that's nasty. 10.6 is going to be almost 99% 64-bit, that makes it so clean, in my mind at least.

The great clean thing about 10.4 is basically that it's the last and greatest 32-bit operating system. I understand there is some 64-bit in there for command line apps and processes, but all in all it's 32-bit clean.

10.5 is such a transition OS and so buggy, I couldn't take it. So, yes I downgraded to 10.4. So far no permission problems. I got a new Mac Mini by the way and it's 10.5.6 so it can do my Handbrake 0.9.3 for me...

I am going to leave this system in it's finalized state 10.4.11, Mac Pro btw, no upgrades, cause there won't be any, except Security Updates. Then I will get a another computer and run 10.6 on it side by side this one, and be a happy mac user, forever and ever again...

Have fun with 10.5.x till 10.6 comes out, but for real work I had to do it.

Laters...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    I have a few issues with Leopard such as how it just randomly generates errors here and there. Like clicking a shortcut in the sidebar infrequently gives some error for no reason but you open the link manually and it fixes itself. It's certainly got a few bugs here and there.

Overall, I can see improvements that make me want to stick with it. PDF display is so much quicker as it's hardware accelerated.

That's about it for me though. I don't use Spaces or Time Machine or any of the Leopard-only stuff. I could have quite happily worked with 10.4.x and I miss the subtle appearance of the interface. Fortunately, I've managed to turn off most of the animations and accelerate some of them as well as get rid of the transparent menu and 3D dock.

I don't like how the Finder defaults to generating movie previews, if you load up a DVD with a bunch of clips, it jumps to icon view and tries to make thumbnails of every movie. This is fine for images but movies take ages. Same thing with generate icon preview in column view. That's defaulted to off now using view options.

I also don't like how they removed the movie controls from the Finder preview. Sure, I like quicklook but it seems like they disabled the preview controls to force you to use quicklook.

As for permissions, I gave up using the Finder for permissions ages ago. Even 10.4 didn't really work properly for me. I use the terminal and it works fine every time.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    wplj42wplj42 Posts: 439member
    Once again I will take the opportunity to rag on Apple and Apple Care for REFUSING to replace my Tiger DVDs, the ones that came with my iMac. I bought my machine from an Apple Store on 11/1/07. They slit open the box to drop in an upgrade copy of Leopard. My iMac came with Tiger installed. The DVDs were defective and Apple Care did not replace them. I called as many times as possible in 90 days, it seems. They sent me a Leopard install DVD, and eventually, an iLife '08 DVD. By then my 90 days was up. I refuse to go out and purchase a copy of Tiger. Apple Care told me there were no more copies available for Tiger. The DVDs I received were not commercial, but simple white labels with black printing. I will always be angry with Apple over this. It is a sign of their Fascists ways.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Just set up a Cube with a G4 running 10.4.11 and I tell you going back to Tiger from Leopard is more of a change than I thought it would be.

Granted I'm not having issues with my Leopard but I've grown acutely aware of the features of Leopard that I've grown accustomed to.

Leopards been out a long enough time as well for me to get stung by Leopard only apps (which I don't have a problem with. I like advances in technology even if i'm on the wrong side).

But it's not going to be a long wait to go back to Tiger and then back up to Snow Leopard.

I hope.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WPLJ42 View Post

Once again I will take the opportunity to rag on Apple and Apple Care for REFUSING to replace my Tiger DVDs, the ones that came with my iMac.

If it's an Intel machine, there actually isn't a standalone version of Tiger for it. Leopard was the first standalone Intel version of OS X. Tiger only ever came pre-installed with discs limited to the models of machine they came with.

It seems they sent you a Leopard installer, which saved you spending $129 and that's about the best they could have done.

I can't say I've found anything major wrong with Leopard that would force me to downgrade. There's not much that would make me want to upgrade besides not having my Bootcamp crippled but that wasn't really a flaw with the OS.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

If it's an Intel machine, there actually isn't a standalone version of Tiger for it. Leopard was the first standalone Intel version of OS X. Tiger only ever came pre-installed with discs limited to the models of machine they came with.

It seems they sent you a Leopard installer, which saved you spending $129 and that's about the best they could have done.

I can't say I've found anything major wrong with Leopard that would force me to downgrade. There's not much that would make me want to upgrade besides not having my Bootcamp crippled but that wasn't really a flaw with the OS.

You are the first person to explain the situation. My iMac is a 2.0 GHz aluminum model. No it didn't save me $129 as the upgrade DVD was part of the package. Leopard had just been announced something like four days prior. I suspect the Tiger DVDs were likely for a Mini. Everything is on the discs, they just won't install. Now that you have explained things to me, Apple is in the same boat with HP (the worst computer company on the planet). Their restore discs only worked on just the model they came with. So I will NEVER have the chance to experience Tiger and that is wrong. I BOUGHT a Tiger machine!!!
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WPLJ42 View Post

Their restore discs only worked on just the model they came with. So I will NEVER have the chance to experience Tiger and that is wrong. I BOUGHT a Tiger machine!!!

I can understand where you're coming from but Tiger isn't hugely different from Leopard. Plus if you find any Intel machine that has Tiger on it, you can clone it onto your drive to run it.

I would say that the main differences are that Tiger has a worse looking Dock vs the 2D Leopard one. Leopard has more rounded corners but removes them from the top left and right. Leopard has a much better theme - subtle shading vs very tacky brushed metal, which I personally removed with Uno on Tiger anyway. Leopard has more intense drop shadows, which I can see why they did it but I don't like.

The Quicktime preview is not the same but you do have quicklook to make up for it and it's very handy. Preview has hardware-accelerated rendering so PDF display is much quicker. Under Tiger, some PDFs hung up the system.

Some system prefs are moved around but besides this, there's not a great deal you'd miss by just skipping Tiger. Basically, if you have Leopard, you should have no reason to want to use Tiger any more than you would Panther, Lynx etc, which definitely can't be run on the Intel machines. If you have Tiger, Leopard isn't a significant upgrade and you shouldn't feel compelled to upgrade.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Marvin ... My beef here is with Apple/Apple Care. I called them 2 days after buying the machine to order replacement DVDs. It took 3 weeks for a single DVD, a full copy of Leopard to arrive. It was not a retail version, but a manually burned DVD. I called again, and in another 3 weeks, I got a manually burned copy of iLife '08. Well, it doesn't take that many 3 weeks before 90 days is over. I did not, nor will I ever purchase the extended Apple Care. If someone had to burn DVDs for me, why couldn't they burn the correct ones so I could have the Tiger discs my machine came with???