Anybody else using the MLB.tv package? Is it using Flash for the video?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I just subscribed to the 2009 premium package and it seems fantastic!

I have bought content from MLB.com on and off for several years. Two years ago when they were using Real Player, I had so much trouble with the video that I downgraded to audio only. Last year MLB.com switched to Silverlight which made me feel a little sick inside (long have I been a partisan in those battles) but worked rather well.

In fact, I was nervous when I heard that they booted MS's Silverlight for this season. However, the results seem to be awesome! High picture quality and DVR like fast forward and rewind. I may never get any work done at night for 6 months...

I think I saw that their playback is Flash based. This surprised me as I have seen Flash denigrated a great deal here for the last two years.

Anyway, I am just wondering if anyone else is as pleased with this as I am...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

I just subscribed to the 2009 premium package and it seems fantastic!

I have bought content from MLB.com on and off for several years. Two years ago when they were using Real Player, I had so much trouble with the video that I downgraded to audio only. Last year MLB.com switched to Silverlight which made me feel a little sick inside (long have I been a partisan in those battles) but worked rather well.

In fact, I was nervous when I heard that they booted MS's Silverlight for this season. However, the results seem to be awesome! High picture quality and DVR like fast forward and rewind. I may never get any work done at night for 6 months...

I think I saw that their playback is Flash based. This surprised me as I have seen Flash denigrated a great deal here for the last two years.

Anyway, I am just wondering if anyone else is as pleased with this as I am...

I can't speak to the MLB offering, but my experience with (well encoded on fast servers) Flash at Hulu vs. Silverlight on Netflix Watch It Now is that the Flash is better looking, loads faster and is easier to navigate (in that it doesn't have to rebuffer every time you move the position pointer).

Now, it may be that Netflix has elected to compress their catalogue more heavily, in that thousands of feature films are more resource consuming than hundreds of TV shows, but the typical Watch It Now movie looks sub-VHS, whereas the typical Hulu set to HD looks DVD or better.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I can't speak to the MLB offering, but my experience with (well encoded on fast servers) Flash at Hulu vs. Silverlight on Netflix Watch It Now is that the Flash is better looking, loads faster and is easier to navigate (in that it doesn't have to rebuffer every time you move the position pointer).

Thanks for the Info--I have not gotten around to checking in on Hulu, but I'm glad to know the picture quality is good.

I watch the baseball games streaming in real time, but the new interface lets you pause and continue viewing with DVR like controls. You can make your own replays and skip commercials and all that. There is only a short pause for rebuffering or whatever.

And the picture quality on a 20" imac is incredibly sharp! To me, this is a huge step up in downloadable content technology...

I guess it is bad for the iPhone, though. I wonder if MLB offers a video streaming app for the iPhone/iTouch...
  • Reply 3 of 3
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    MLB At Bat 2009 for iPhone

It offers live audio streaming of every game and video highlights of every game.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

I guess it is bad for the iPhone, though. I wonder if MLB offers a video streaming app for the iPhone/iTouch...