Microsoft offering Office 2008 free trial for Mac users

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Microsoft's Mac Business Unit this week is making available to Mac users a "fully functional, no strings attached" free trial of Office 2008 so that prospective buyers and users of previous versions can 'kick the tires' on new suite before plunking down the cash for a permanent copy.

The 545 megabyte download is available after a quick registration over at the Redmond-based company's MacTopia website. The registration is required to generate an trial product key that will expire 30 days thereafter.

Although Office 2008 for Mac made its debut over a year ago, this is the first time Microsoft has offered customers the option of trying the software before they buy it. The trial copy will run side-by-side with earlier versions of Office and includes a year's worth of maintenance and security improvements.

"The MacBU is aware that a number of customers have wanted to try Office 2008 for Mac before purchasing, and they have been working to make this available in tandem with updates to 2008," a representative for the software giant told AppleInsider.Â*"Today customers can now check out Office 2008 with the fixes and performance enhancements that have been made since launch."

Once the 30-day product key expires, users will have the choice to either purchase a copy of the suite from an Apple authorized reseller or buy a product key from Mactopia online and be up and running without reinstalling.

Of course, Microsoft fragments the office suite into various versions like it does its Windows operating system. A "Home and Student Edition" costs $149.95, the standard version is priced at $399.95, and the Special Media Edition fetches 499.95. However, Amazon.com has these same editions listed for $111.99, $240.00, and $224.95, respectively. For a breakdown of what's included in each edition, see this article.

Meanwhile, readers interested in familiarizing themselves with Office 2008 and the history of Office without downloading the software may want to check out AppleInsider's six-part series: Road to Mac Office 2008.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 63
    Still not biting. Start offering the same educational discounts as the pc version and i'll rethink.
  • Reply 2 of 63
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Doesn't this free trial come already with the purchase of any new iMac or MacBook as well? It used to with the prior Office- I thought it still did.
  • Reply 3 of 63
    gmcalpingmcalpin Posts: 266member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Doesn't this free trial come already with the purchase of any new iMac or MacBook as well? It used to with the prior Office- I thought it still did.

It didn't come with my MacBook Pro in February.
  • Reply 4 of 63
    shavexshavex Posts: 34member
    Hahahah Free Trial for Mac owners and just buy it for PC owners. I wonder what caused them to make this move? Maybe all the Mac owners are already broke from buying their computer they cant afford the software to go along with it HAHAHAH!
  • Reply 5 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fezzasus View Post

Still not biting. Start offering the same educational discounts as the pc version and i'll rethink.

I will never buy it. It took me like 10 minutes just to figure out how to print a page on Windows version. I had a computer class Office 2003 couple years ago and I learned pretty well how to use it. But when I had to use that new bloated version with whole setting changed, I was happy to have iWork and OpenOffice at home. Those people at Redmond just don't get it.
  • Reply 6 of 63
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Does the Mac version have that awful "ribbon" interface? No thanks... I would break down and switch to Open Office before upgrading my 2004 to 2008! MS just doesn't offer much in the compelling reasons to upgrade department.

If they wanted to make it worth an upgrade, bundling Visio for Mac would be a start...
  • Reply 7 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gabberattack View Post

I will never buy it. It took me like 10 minutes just to figure out how to print a page on Windows version. I had a computer class Office 2003 couple years ago and I learned pretty well how to use it. But when I had to use that new bloated version with whole setting changed, I was happy to have iWork and OpenOffice at home. Those people at Redmond just don't get it.

I've got to disagree here. I've tried iWork and OpenOffice and neither have the power or flexibility I need; numbers simply isn't as powerful as excel and lacks many, many features and OpenOffice isn't as compatible as it pretends to be.

Finally there's the issue of wasting time learning an interface; These are PRODUCTIVITY tools, any change from the normal (in my case office '04) has a negative impact on productivity.

The issue that may face microsoft is the same issue they have with windows; the previous version was very good. I will continue to use '04 until a hardware upgrade renders it useless.
  • Reply 8 of 63
    I bought it, used it for a month or so, then reverted back to the old office - and iWorks.

Comparing Office and iWorks, Keynote is far superior to PowerPoint in any aspect; Pages is less powerful then Word, but has all the main features and is much less confusing; Numbers may be less powerful then Excel, but has some really niftily features that speeds up simple spreadsheet work.
  • Reply 9 of 63
    slapppyslapppy Posts: 331member
    NeoOffice woks great. Stable and fast enough. Can open MS files, even when meta data embeded that Office for Mac fails to open.
  • Reply 10 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shavex View Post

Maybe all the Mac owners are already broke from buying their computer they cant afford the software to go along with it HAHAHAH!

Yeah, because once you buy a Mac you no longer make any more money in your lifetime...

Are you trolling or just that ignorant?
  • Reply 11 of 63
    buckbuck Posts: 293member
    iWork has style.

Office has lots of junk almost nobody needs but everyone abuses.

But still I wish people would learn that there's a proper way to align the text to the right without inserting a hundred of spaces or that page and section breaks exist. If you dig that iWork has an easier interface to format your document.
  • Reply 12 of 63
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fezzasus View Post

Finally there's the issue of wasting time learning an interface; These are PRODUCTIVITY tools, any change from the normal (in my case office '04) has a negative impact on productivity.

Absolutely! All the Office apps interfaces were changed so dramatically (at leaset ont eh Windows side), I'm still trying to figure it out.

Thanks heavens for Google...

I have Office 2004 for Mac but rarely use it. Only got it cause it was $20 thru work/Home Use Program and I didn't have any other apps at the time.

No interest in going to 2008, especially since I got the Mac OS box set with iWork (for what little use I need of a spreadsheet, it'll do fine)
  • Reply 13 of 63
    Wow, finally! It seemed to take forever for the trial to come out When I first wanted to get office 08 I had no idea whether it was good or not (you can't really read the reviews on the apple site, after all)...
  • Reply 14 of 63
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    I haven't used office on a Mac (on wihch I do most of my office-related work) since April 2006 - when I first bought a Mac after a 5-year hiatus from Apple. As soon as I found out about iWork, MS' bloated officeware was off my hard drive. And good riddance, too.
  • Reply 15 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

Does the Mac version have that awful "ribbon" interface? No thanks... I would break down and switch to Open Office before upgrading my 2004 to 2008! MS just doesn't offer much in the compelling reasons to upgrade department.

If they wanted to make it worth an upgrade, bundling Visio for Mac would be a start...

Mac Excel 2004 is nearly perfect. Why MS had to tinker with the look and feel of it for 2008 is beyond comprehension. Then again XP was superceded by Vista.
  • Reply 16 of 63
    jazzgurujazzguru Posts: 6,435member
    Does 2008 support VBA, or was 2004 the last version to support it?
  • Reply 17 of 63
    I've mostly been using a Windows laptop lately, and am waiting to get a new Mac Pro. I don't have a lot of experience trying different office suites on OSX, so I wanted to know what you guys think.

Is the Mac Office as good/capable (or more so) than the Windows version. In other words, do most of you use Apple's iWork or Mac Office on OSX, or do you run the Windows version of Office in a virtual machine (or dual-boot)?
  • Reply 18 of 63
    htoellehtoelle Posts: 89member
    Perhaps we are weird but it can be said of our family --- 20 years with Mac and no MS -- . We seem to have made it quite well. I know we feel good inside knowing that we have not supported a company that has a rather checkered Legal history (Charges Fines and Penalties). We seem to have done just fine using products and services from a company that creates things, rather than from a company that is forever copying the creative work of others because it lacks imagination. --- So no thank you, free trials do not interest us. PS Macro Viruses are not welcomed here. HT
  • Reply 19 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

I've mostly been using a Windows laptop lately, and am waiting to get a new Mac Pro. I don't have a lot of experience trying different office suites on OSX, so I wanted to know what you guys think.

Is the Mac Office as good/capable (or more so) than the Windows version. In other words, do most of you use Apple's iWork or Mac Office on OSX, or do you run the Windows version of Office in a virtual machine (or dual-boot)?

Mac Office is unbelievable compared to the Windows version. I've used both Excel and Word now for 10 years for MAc. You're in for a treat if you've only used the Windows version. The look and feel of it in OSX is just sublime. And totally compatible with any files from the PC.

I still use the Windows versions during the day at work and email files home all the time then use the MAC version- no problems.
  • Reply 20 of 63
    I bought 2008 and used for 1 week and went back to 2004.

Word 2004 runs under Rosetta and launches in a few seconds while Word 2008 is a native application and takes "forever" to launch. I am so confused about that.

Microsoft changed the formatting of copied text somehow so you can no longer copy from a Word doc and paste formatted text into Dreamweaver CS 3. A task I do many times each day. The only solution is to upgrade to Adobe CS4 for only $600. Not ready to do that as my income has been negatively impacted by this recession.