iPhone Software 3.0 may offer voice control, dialing - report

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A new report is backing rumors of Voice Dialing support inside betas of Apple's iPhone 3.0 Software but adds that capability may be just one of several features included in a new Voice Services framework that may also facilitate voice control of the new OS.

Adding to discoveries of "Voice Control" preferences within the International preferences of the upcoming release, contacts speaking to Ars have located a number of function calls to voice control features apparently nicknamed "Jibbler."

While details are few and far between, the features appear to tie into the new version of the Springboard application that serves as the iPhone's home screen and application launcher. In particular, references to VSSpeechSynthesizer, VSRecognitionSession, SBVoiceControlDisableHandlerActions, SBSensitiveJibblerEnabled, and SBVoiceControlSoundCompletion were uncovered.

While those methods appears to be private at this time, meaning they're accessible to Apple but not third-party developers, it's speculated that they could initially provide support for Voice Dialing on current and future iPhone handsets. In addition, they could also provide an alternative means of controlling the iPhone's Springboard services.

"Jibbler may be controlled via the iPhone headset -- button squeezes could be used to record short voice segments from the user, which Jibbler will then interpret," the report notes. "Voice synthesis can then be used to give the user a response, similar to the latest generation iPod shuffle, which can 'read' playlists and track names -- the difference being that the iPhone hardware itself could handle real-time voice synthesis."

Apple has said it plans to release iPhone Software 3.0 sometime this summer as a free upgrade for all current iPhone owners. A distribution for iPod touch users will cost $10.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 89
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Voice dialing is something I've missed since switching to iPhone. Now if they could only make a decent ring tone that is loud enough to hear when the phone is in my pocket. I've pretty much given up on ever answering calls since I don't hear them ring most of the time anyway. Maybe I'm just getting hard of hearing...
  • Reply 2 of 89
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    I'm so impressed- iPhone is finally getting all these phone features that everyone's had for years.
  • Reply 3 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Maybe I'm just getting hard of hearing...

Pardon?
  • Reply 4 of 89
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    I am amazed Apple doesn't post OS V3.0 in the app store and charge $5 for it. A very easy $50,000,000 indeed. It would still be a steal and only people here and other Apple forums would complain!
  • Reply 5 of 89
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    The iPhone could handle reading the iPod playlists and track names on the fly, but I think the simpler, more elegant solution is to do it ahead of time on your Mac/PC, like the Shuffle. But I would also like an API so developers can leverage the text-to-speech within a 3rd-party app, too.

The squeezing of the iPhone headphone is a bit of concern because the microphone is situated right where you squeeze the center. It' possible to not cover it, but you have to press it in the right position. Unless they change the headphone design it would seem to be to not be ideal.

PS: I also think that voice recognition and/or on-the-fly text-to-speech may only be available for the next iPhone due to an already constrained system.
  • Reply 6 of 89
    roos24roos24 Posts: 170member
    For a while I've had the idea to have the iPhone tell me the time, for example when running or doing something that prevents you from checking your watch while listening to music. You just squeeze the control button, say "What time is it" and the iPhone/iPod would answer "It is ten fifteen am", and then resume the music. It should be no problem to do this in other languages. But alas, I am not a programmer...
  • Reply 7 of 89
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Voice dialing is something I've missed since switching to iPhone. Now if they could only make a decent ring tone that is loud enough to hear when the phone is in my pocket. I've pretty much given up on ever answering calls since I don't hear them ring most of the time anyway. Maybe I'm just getting hard of hearing...

I agree, I almost always miss my calls - either it's too quiet or I've accidentally switched it to silent as I put it in my pocket...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roos24 View Post

For a while I've had the idea to have the iPhone tell me the time, for example when running or doing something that prevents you from checking your watch while listening to music. You just squeeze the control button, say "What time is it" and the iPhone/iPod would answer "It is ten fifteen am", and then resume the music. It should be no problem to do this in other languages. But alas, I am not a programmer...

OS 8 and 9 (and 7?) supported that. You could say things like "Tell me a joke" and it'd tell you a really bad joke. It'd certainly have it's use on the iPhone if it worked reliably.
  • Reply 8 of 89
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    This is well needed even over cut and past... This feature making using a phone so much easier and faster.

The simple fact that it does not have tradition keyboard it is a required feature when trying to drive and make a call. At least a phone with a keypad you can always feel and dial and not have to look at the phone.
  • Reply 9 of 89
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,462member
    The loudest ring-tone on the iPhone, in my opinion, is Old Phone.

I'm sooo glad we're going to finally get voice dialing!
  • Reply 10 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I am amazed Apple doesn't post OS V3.0 in the app store and charge $5 for it. A very easy $50,000,000 indeed. It would still be a steal and only people here and other Apple forums would complain!

x-many iPod Touches times $10. I think 13M units of them were sold at last count. If 80% buy the update that is $104,000,000.

What surprised me is not the free update to the original iPhone when it's over the two-year hump. past the contract period and past the 24-month SOx accounting model. My best guess is that Apple is trying to spin the rest of the industry to follow with long-term, rich updates, too.
  • Reply 11 of 89
    Quote:

I have a better one- post a Take 3 for Apple TV (it's been 1 yr 3mos and counting since Take 2) with Safari in it. Charge $15 and see how fast that would sell. I would buy it in an instant.
  • Reply 12 of 89
    Quote:

Agreed and thanks Apple for not, as of this moment, following your suggestion!

Re: ringtone being low - MStone - research shows that we lose the high end of the spectrum as we age (read: listened to Rock & Rock, Rap, Ect. at high volumes when young). NY Times (can't find the link) did an article on this that included an MP3 to test your hearing. I tried it on my laptop speakers - nothing. Put on Bose headset and could barely hear the high pitch. It is said that kids have very high freq ringtones that adults can't hear (no kids, don't know about this). Makes sense.

Have your tried the Alarm ring tone? I have my iPhone set on vibrate as well as ring tone - that helps most of the time.

Way to go Apple!
  • Reply 13 of 89
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I'm so impressed- iPhone is finally getting all these phone features that everyone's had for years.

Hey smart pants, try to build a phone from scratch yourself. Apple has to go around all the patents and rules that other phone companies have and make things on their own.

Steve's vision of an iPhone was to make it as simple as possible so that anyone and their grandmother can use it.
  • Reply 14 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

I'm sooo glad we're going to finally get voice dialing!

I love Old Phone and find Alarm to much louder! Obnoxious as well!
  • Reply 15 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

x-many iPod Touches times $10. I think 13M units of them were sold at last count. If 80% buy the update that is $104,000,000.

I thought it was $20 last time?
  • Reply 16 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

This is well needed even over cut and past... This feature making using a phone so much easier and faster.

I think that API for 3rd-party HW is so much bigger than cut/copy/paste. That is going to be huge. I think that all handheld device manufacturers need to watch out. They could easily get trounced by start-ups using the iPhone/Touch to build a better device.

Personally, I think the shake to undo feature is more important than cut/copy/paste. I've certainly used it a lot more since installing the Betas.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

That must be why I have never had an issue with it.
  • Reply 17 of 89
    Does this mean we can ask the phone politely to copy and paste?

"Please copy web address"

"Please paste in e-mail"

If we ask politely, will it then do the functions we've been wanting for a while?

Funny... I've had these voice features on other phones for a long time now. I know a few people who use the voice dial function religiously. Others like me never touched it. Glad to know they are bringing that feature along.
  • Reply 18 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

Hey smart pants, try to build a phone from scratch yourself. Apple has to go around all the patents and rules that other phone companies have and make things on their own.

Steve's vision of an iPhone was to make it as simple as possible so that anyone and their grandmother can use it.

The best part of this is talking to people with Blackberry's about iApp envy. Seems they'd happily trade voice activated commands just to have ANY user created apps. Brilliant stroke Apple - just brilliant. Thanks also to all the iPhone app developers!
  • Reply 19 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I thought it was $20 last time?

The first update in January 2008 was $20 and included a whooping 5 additional apps that could have easily been included with the original iPod Touch. This was still within v1.x.

For v2.0 they made the update $10. I am assuming they will make the next one $10, as well.
  • Reply 20 of 89
    istinkistink Posts: 250member
    As someone who uses voice command constantly on my windows mobile phone, I can say with 100% certainty you guys will LOVE IT.

It's going to make your life so much easier. On my phone, I hold down the send key and I can say anything from "Call Bob Stevens" to "What's my battery level?" I can even launch applications and run media with it.

Apple should have no problem doing all that and more. The only complaint I've ever bad about voice command is how background noise can interfere with it. I bet if Apple puts some time into it, they can put in some kind of noise cancellation.