The new sub-notebook tied to SL/Marble

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
It just occurred to me that the new sub-notebook will need a higher resolution display than currently used on the MB/MBP. This calls for resolution independence. There is no much hype for it now, but I guess it is finally coming with the rumored Marble interface in Snow Leopard.

Besides changes in color/appearance, the Marble interface may include new controls and alternative versions of some existing controls. This is absolutely required if the new device is going to use touch screen.

An example for an alternative version of a control is the iPhone implementation of a picker control with the spinning wheels instead of a menu.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    flinch13flinch13 Posts: 228member
    Does anyone get the feeling that "Marble" refers to a new UI that incorporates touch controls? A few things are going to need changing in order to usefully implement touch controls on a real mac computer, including selectable areas/buttons that will increase in size to accommodate fingers, as well as support for interacting with multiple objects on the screen at once (traditional mouses, of course, only deal with one point of interaction at a time, so they need to figure this out). I guess I'm probably just dreaming here, but I'd be willing to bet Apple is at least trying to work on something like this. Perhaps we'll never see a desktop mac with touch controls. Perhaps we'll never see a laptop with touch controls either. It'd be nice though, and a real driver of innovation in the industry, but only if done logically and with style.

I guess I've gone off on a tangent here, but that's my 2 cents.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    wplj42wplj42 Posts: 439member
    Here is a link to a previous thread on this subject:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=97209

Not much talk really. This whole thing does nothing but raise my blood pressure. Most people can either see their monitors just fine, aren't willing to sacrifice real estate, or just put up with small text. I feel very alone with my special needs in the vision department. Unless Apple has this already figured out, I will be pleasantly surprised to see anything new. So far, I had not heard any complaints from those who have installed OS X on one of the current netbooks. Personally, I would like to see Apple stay with the iPhone/iPod Touch idea and just go for the bigger screen. While I have never actually used an iPhone or Touch, it looks like my messed up eyesight could deal with it much easier than the resolution offered by any of the netbooks around. I would love to have a Macbook, but I can't see the screen. It is just too small. So is my 20 inch iMac. As a result, I suffer from eye fatigue and pain. Maybe this problem can be resolved if Steve Jobs takes off his glasses and looks at his lineup of monitors.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    shadowshadow Posts: 373member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WPLJ42 View Post

Here is a link to a previous thread on this subject:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=97209

Not much talk really. This whole thing does nothing but raise my blood pressure. Most people can either see their monitors just fine, aren't willing to sacrifice real estate, or just put up with small text. I feel very alone with my special needs in the vision department. Unless Apple has this already figured out, I will be pleasantly surprised to see anything new. So far, I had not heard any complaints from those who have installed OS X on one of the current netbooks. Personally, I would like to see Apple stay with the iPhone/iPod Touch idea and just go for the bigger screen. While I have never actually used an iPhone or Touch, it looks like my messed up eyesight could deal with it much easier than the resolution offered by any of the netbooks around. I would love to have a Macbook, but I can't see the screen. It is just too small. So is my 20 inch iMac. As a result, I suffer from eye fatigue and pain. Maybe this problem can be resolved if Steve Jobs takes off his glasses and looks at his lineup of monitors.

The reason you haven't heard any complaints is that the netbooks use small screens with small resolution. If Apple steps in, I expect a hi-res screen. This would make the resolution independence a must.

Thanks for the link to the SL resolution independence thread. Unfortunately, there are no reports or hints on any progress on resolution independence.

When using Quartz Debug with Leopard to change screen scale factor I can see a lot of issues with the interface elements. Many of them need higher resolution images as well. I know this is a wishful thinking, but I hope that Apple decided to make a complete overhaul of the interface, instead of patching the aging Agua.

Marble does not necessarily mean resolution independence, but I am afraid no Marble means no resolution independence.