Mouse speed alteration.

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I like my mouse fast. Not 1.7, more like 7.

I used to be able to edit the .globalpreferences.plist file to achieve this. Seems the file has changed, and now I can't find where the settings are stored.

Anyone?

Cheers!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Have you tried <a href="http://homepage.mac.com/bhines/mousezoom.html"; target="_blank">Mouse Zoom</a>?
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Yeah, but its settings aren't saved. According to the maker it's an OS X bug...editing the plist file worked, though.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    What settings aren't saved? Everything seems to be saved with me and I've been using it for a long time.

[ 12-30-2002: Message edited by: EmAn ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 12
    From the readme:

Help Ben, It's not remembering my settings!

It seems Mac OS X has a rare bug which causes mouse speed settings to be forgotten. This bug affects both MouseZoom and Apple's Mouse pane, so don't come complaining to me about it.

If I set the speed to, say, 7.5 via Mousezoom, then switch even to another prefpane and back, the scale reads 1.7 again.

[ 12-30-2002: Message edited by: unremarkable ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 12
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    That's weird because like I said, everything sticks for me.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Sticks for me too. I didn't even know this existed. Wow, how did i live with out this?
  • Reply 7 of 12
    That bug is not a bug in Mac OS X. It is a "rare" bug because what really happens is certain apps that change the mouse speed/behavior are simply forgetting to set it back. That's a bug in the app, not Mac OS X. Otherwise, the preferences stich just fine. What apps do this? Oni and Quake III come to mind, but I think that was fixed in Quake in one of its later point releases.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    As I said, though, the MouseZoom preferences don't even stick for me if I switch to another prefpane and back...

[ 12-31-2002: Message edited by: unremarkable ]</p>
  • Reply 9 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by Brad:

<strong>That bug is not a bug in Mac OS X. .</strong><hr></blockquote>

Brad: the bug referred to in the mousezoom readme is different from the bug you are referring to. The mousezoom problem is the setting not being properly remembered across restarts/logins (ie, the high "default" that mousezoom sets isn't saved for some reason)..

I think this might actually be due to the way i was setting the default, apparently it does not work sometimes. I am going to release a new version with a new localization i received, so perhaps i will try a different method for setting the default..

Anyway, for use without restarting/relogging in, MouseZoom _intentionally_ replicates the Quake bug/behavior to implement "instant" permanent speed adjustment.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    I use usb overdrive with my Razer Boomslang and it works fine.

<a href="http://www.usboverdrive.com/"; target="_blank">USB Overdrive</a>
  • Reply 11 of 12
    USB Overdrive won't even install for me.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Ah, I stand corrected. The reason I assumed that was the cause is that I have never experienced the other bug that was desribed.