Mighty Mouse problem.

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I know that the general consensus here is that the Mighty Mouse is a piece of shit. That notwithstanding, I'd appreciate posters refraining from engaging in further elaborations on that concept when replying to this topic (i.e., no comments like "Buy a new mouse," please).

At any rate, I purchased a wireless Mighty Mouse about a month ago and was very happy with it until the batteries apparently died. One day the pointer simply stopped responding and the green light on the bottom of the mouse was flashing. I replaced the batteries and the mouse resumed normal operation. Then, a few days later it happened again. I have yet to re-replace the batteries and have reverted to using my now eight-year-old Logitech dual-optical mouse (possibly the finest peripheral I have ever owned). Has anyone else encountered this issue? Is this mouse having internal hardware or software issues or is it normal for it to devour batteries at this rate? System Preferences says that Bluetooth is maintaining the connection properly, so I am ruling that out as an issue. I would just say to hell with it, and use my Logitech mouse full-time, but my wife hates it and I payed seventy goddamn dollars for the Apple product.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    wplj42wplj42 Posts: 439member
    I have had the same occur. The only thing I can figure is the mouse might not go to sleep when I shut down my iMac and the batteries die overnight. This only happens once in a while, so I don't fret over it, or close the door on the bottom of the mouse when not in use. Do yourself a favor and go rechargeable. I have garden variety ones from Radio Shack. My keyboard lasts for about six weeks and the mouse about three. When you start having trouble with the scroll wheel, and you will, press down on the scroll wheel so you can get rubbing alcohol inside. Then spin the wheel like crazy until it is fixed. The mouse is mostly problematic for that reason. I love the 360. Takes a while to get a good feel for it, but it is good. Keep in mind Nickel-Metal Hydrides are 1.2 volts instead of the standard 1.5 AA. You will never show a full charge of five bars when you check in System Preferences/Keyboard & Mouse/Bluetooth. I get four bars briefly, then down to three. And the batteries die a quick death. Limited warning, so keep extras on hand.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    do you have the wireless mighty mouse? I know there is a problem with the Mac mini and blue tooth. Both my keyboard and mouse hang from time to time and I have to sleep my computer and wake up via the power switch and everything come back to life. It may not be your batteries. I am not sure if this affects all levels of Macs, but if you do a board search you will see that there have been issues with the wireless components and bluetooth.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    ringerajaringeraja Posts: 4member
    Same problem with Logitech V470 Bluetooth Mouse & Mac mini, new one (2009).
  • Reply 4 of 4
    You guys might be onto something; I do indeed have the '09 Nvidia mini. Maybe Apple needs to release a fix for this one, too. Sucks. \