iPod touch web share triples as Windows reaches new low

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Web market share for the iPod touch has tripled in just five months, outpacing even the iPhone among mobile devices. Also, Windows' share has dropped to its lowest point since tracking began even as the Mac managed to hold its ground.

While the iPod touch in November accounted just 0.05 percent of all the use on the tens of thousands of websites tracked by stats firm Net Applications, its use has seen steady gains that put the touchscreen Wi-Fi device at 0.15 percent -- still small, but a threefold increase in its footprint in less than half a year.

iPhone share also grew substantially during the period but, despite having either 2G or 3G cellular Internet access, moved just one and a half times up from 0.37 percent of all web traffic to 0.55 percent.

The researchers don't attempt to explain the discrepancy themselves. However, the rapidly closing gap can be partly assigned to runaway sales of the iPod touch, which doubled in one year, even in the face of a poor economy and wider iPhone availability. Analysts have also noted that software from the App Store is driving iPod touch sales, while the player is also more affordable and more readily available. Customers aren't tied to a monthly service fee, aren't limited to particular cellphone carriers and don't have to live in certain countries.

As has been the case for a long time, Apple continues to have the largest share by far of all mobile operating systems; Java ME comes closest at 0.07 percent.

iPod touch web market share, ranging from 0.04 percent to 0.15 percent. | Image credits: Net Applications.

On the desktop, Apple isn't seeing quite the same explosive growth as in mobile but still has some reason to be content. Mac share dipped very slightly to 9.73 percent, but Windows continued its steeper descent and fell to 87.9 percent -- the first time the company has dipped below 88 percent since Net Applications started its tracking and part of a consistent long-term decline. The iPhone and iPod touch ate significant parts of this share but were also helped by Linux, which crested over the 1 percent mark for the first time.

It's important to note that the data doesn't directly translate to actual unit market share and can be swayed by usage patterns; more are likely to use their Macs and iPod touch players in December and January, for example, as they use home Macs, iPhones and iPods while on vacation or after receiving them as gifts. All the same, the results partly mirror a better than expected quarter for Apple, highlighted by the Cupertino-based company's ability to keep iPod and Mac sales steady during the single toughest economic slump in years.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 59
    stashmanstashman Posts: 90member
    The less people using IE (any version) the better. I'm a web develop and it's a pain in the ass to make anything work/look right in.
  • Reply 2 of 59
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Is it too soon to see the effect of all the Windows netbooks that are supposedly

being sold?
  • Reply 3 of 59
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Is it too soon to see the effect of all the Windows netbooks that are supposedly

being sold?

Excellent question!
  • Reply 4 of 59
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Awesome chart! Who needs Y axis labels anyway, I say!
  • Reply 5 of 59
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I do find it interesting that the iPhone OS accounts for 70% of the Linux share.

Quote:

Is it too soon to see the effect of all the Windows netbooks that are supposedly being sold?

Unless there is a way to weed out HW type it will impossible, but a good portion of the Linux increase may be from netbooks.
  • Reply 6 of 59
    guinnessguinness Posts: 473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I do find it interesting that the iPhone OS accounts for 70% of the Linux share.

Unless there is a way to weed out HW type it will impossible, but a good portion of the Linux increase may be from netbooks.

Re: netbooks, doubtful, but there was a new version of Ubuntu (9.04) released the other day, and it's pretty nice, and anytime a new version of Ubuntu comes out, there seems to be a spike in Linux interest.

I'm running the netbook version (UNR) on my AAO, and it works very well, with most everything picked up just fine, save issues with the card reader, but the Acer is a bit different, in that it has 2. With 8.10, I still had to plug it into ethernet, so that I could download the open-source driver through Synaptic.

The UNR customizations are nice too, as they allow programs to fit much better to the 1024x600 res screen, without windows floating into areas that you can't access.

The reason that I say that most netbooks probably don't add much to Linux, is that most netbooks that come pre-installed with Linux, come with terrible Linux distros, and hence, are probably returned for XP versions.

As for as the Touch, I'm not sure what to say about 1.5 users out of a 1000 is really being that significant. I can't say that I ever use mobile Safari much anymore, as one, I don't like it, and two, I've got my netbook.
  • Reply 7 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guinness View Post

Re: netbooks, doubtful, but there was a new version of Ubuntu (9.04) released the other day, and it's pretty nice, and anytime a new version of Ubuntu comes out, there seems to be a spike in Linux interest.

I install each new version when it comes out to test it.

Quote:

As for as the Touch, I'm not sure what to say about 1.5 users out of a 1000 is really being that significant. I can't say that I ever use mobile Safari much anymore, as one, I don't like it, and two, I've got my netbook.

I'm on my iPhone constantly if I'm not a computer. My netbooks were for testing and when my notebook was out of commission. The article said that is was usage and not units so I think that number on a cell phone is quite impressive, especially in such a short time with so many other phone OSes on the market for so long.
  • Reply 8 of 59
    randythotrandythot Posts: 109member
    I'm glad to hear the news about iPod Touch usage, but I was wondering something...

Has anyone else noticed the strong uptick in # of articles/rumors coming across the media these days?

Is this an Apple prompted spin? Is it a cyclic upturn in news? Apple driven R & D push?

It does seem like there has been quite a few comment-worthy news/rumor bits ranging across everything.
  • Reply 9 of 59
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Is it too soon to see the effect of all the Windows netbooks that are supposedly being sold?

How would it identify itself? Do any of the netbooks with Windows identify themselves as having a netbook edition of Windows?
  • Reply 10 of 59
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Awesome chart! Who needs Y axis labels anyway, I say!

• Reply 11 of 59
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by randythot View Post

I'm glad to hear the news about iPod Touch usage, but I was wondering something...

Has anyone else noticed the strong uptick in # of articles/rumors coming across the media these days?

Is this an Apple prompted spin? Is it a cyclic upturn in news? Apple driven R & D push?

It does seem like there has been quite a few comment-worthy news/rumor bits ranging across everything.

Not sure of the "why" regarding the rumors exactly, but AAPL stock has been going great guns, despite the recession.
  • Reply 12 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Not sure of the "why" regarding the rumors exactly, but AAPL stock has been going great guns, despite the recession.

It's mostly been inline with the NASDAQ.

I found it funny that the first day of trading after MS announced a 32% drop in profit for the first time in 23 years, MS went up 10.52% and Apple was down a but that day.
  • Reply 13 of 59
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Don't worry guys - it was just me.
  • Reply 14 of 59
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It's mostly been inline with the NASDAQ.

Well, AAPL so far gained 49,08% in 2009, while the NASDAQ only managed 15,27%. I would say AAPL is doing slightly better.
  • Reply 15 of 59
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:

As the overall PC shipments are down (even after including netbooks), where exactly would you see this "effect"? People who bought a 15" Acer Crapbook GTi DOHC in 2008, just bought an 10" eekPC in 2009... they both show up as Windows in this statistic.
  • Reply 16 of 59
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I didn't realize Linux was so small. We (Mac) are the same size relative to them as Windows is to us.
  • Reply 17 of 59
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    US market share or global worldwide market share? It is not the same.
  • Reply 18 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

Excellent question!

saw this on twitter, ( on ipod touch, using TwitterFon ) I think a big surge is due to disabled users who are also connecting via home or free WiFi not just 2g/3g and like the portability when in the "reading room" or just moving from room to room.

Can you see bringing your whole laptop into..well use your imaginations
  • Reply 19 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

Well, AAPL so far gained 49,08% in 2009, while the NASDAQ only managed 15,27%. I would say AAPL is doing slightly better.

I did use the qualifier "mostly." There were days that they really did better, or didn't do nearly as bad, but most days I've watched have seemed pretty close on a day-by-day look, but up 50% in 4 months is great! My AMZN has done well too, it's up 60% this year.
  • Reply 20 of 59
    shookstershookster Posts: 113member
    Since new versions of Windows, OS X, iPhone and presumably the Pre are coming in 2009, it will be interesting to see where these stats are at the end of the year. Will MS claw back its market share? Will the Pre make an impact?