Apple offers fix for iMac's Radeon HD 4850 freezing issues

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 80
    italiankiditaliankid Posts: 279member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

I am right there with you. I don't work for Microsoft (and I really don't like their products either!) I have some Apple products, and used to support them in the past.

My biggest problem are the people who are putting us down for complaining, when we do have every right to do so. I've complained to Apple themselves and do know of my issues. All I got was a "It will cost 400 dollars to replace the logic board on your laptop." even after they claimed fault. And I've known quite a few other people with issues too. I also have known people with no issues, and to them, I hope things stay that way!

I guess AppleInsider forums really aren't the place to say this kind of thing. Very unwelcoming crowd at times.

So I continue to complain, because I feel that I was wronged. I lost very hard earned money on that machine (starving artist comes to mind). And this is just me warning others that things are not as perfect as it may appear.

Back to the topic actually: I really do hope they fixed the ATI freezing issue for those iMac owners... Apple does owe them that much! But that should have been caught before the iMac left the prototype arena.

As for Bose? They too are just a label, or at least that's how I am reading that post.

I agree with you... if you voice your opinion here, the Macheads will eat you up and troll you out lol... I don't care. I say it as I see it.

The iMac is an amazing design until something inside breaks down and then you got to repair it. All the internals are under the glass and under the LCD! Why would Apple design such a product as such and make it difficult to fix? I had my 2008 iMac fixed and it was returned by Apple with tons of dust/lint under the glass and nicks on the side of the machine. I complained and got my money back. They said the design is such that it is very hard to not nick or for dust to enter in! What a great design.
  • Reply 62 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

And Dell's always been crap. Apple, however used to be rock solid.

Maybe because there are more problems? It seems with every model there is some kind of manufacturing defect or a major hardware bug. Leopard shipped with more problems with any OS since 10.0 (which was beta 2.0 basically). They're slipping on focus.

I agree with you!

They need to refocus.
  • Reply 63 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I have to admit though, Amar Bose is brilliant. We may not like his stuff, but when his company was foundering early on, because the audio community was rejecting his stuff, he made a right turn, and the rest is legend.

I compare Apple to Bose a lot.

Great designs. Great products.

Although Apple is losing it in terms of quality control, whereas BOSE isn't.

The BOSE are built perfect. Flawless. I have the Companion 5 and love them.

I love the iMac, but I have seen the quality control at Apple go downhill from a year ago.

Take the iPhone 3G for example... Twice as Fast, Half the price = more problems.

The iPhone 2G was a solid build phone.
  • Reply 64 of 80
    Now that Apple released Firmware 1.4 for the iMac, when does one think a new Safari 4 will come out? Mine crashes too many times, I had to uninstall it.
  • Reply 65 of 80
    bitzandbitezbitzandbitez Posts: 158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Let me ask you a question.

Why do you bother to even use a Mac and admit to owning them?

Just use an affordable Windows-based PC and problem solved. Just switch.

All you do is troll and complain about Macs.

Yet, this is in your sig:

iMac 20" 2.66 2008/9 model

Nano 3rd/4th gen

iPhone 2G/3G

If you CLEARLY dislike Apple and Macs so much, then . . . WHY DO YOU EVEN OWN THESE PRODUCTS? Just sell them. No more worries, no more stress.

It seems pretty stupid of you to have them in your possession and constantly troll about them. Does it make sense to hang on to, and discuss something you dislike that much? There is an ocean of PCs out there for you to pick and choose from, and they have nothing to do with Macs, and they run Windows.

The result:

No need for you to come in here and complain, which means no more headaches on your part. You'll be a satisfied user, which you cearly are not. The only kind of person who keeps using something they dislike and who then takes the time and trouble to complain about it is someone who is mentally ill.

Fair?

i have been a mac owner for eons since '87 til now -- yea i went threw that "performa' crap when they started to make macs to sell at the "Wiz" remember them?? and nothings perfect in a no so perfect world.. i have an iPhone 3g (g= gripes) i never can get that thing to work in 3g mode and have had to have apple replace the headset (4) times already and its not even 1 full year yet and the iphone is a GREAT Product don't get me wrong but no one can tolerate when i talk to them with the headset on, its picks up all the surrounding noise and the sound quality is horrible ... so i guess i should be blaming AT&T NOT APPLE.. my macbook pro 2008 version had to have the screen replaced 2x thank god i got the extra 3yr applecare otherwise i 'd be screwed.. and the battery won't hold a charge anymore... apple suggest i buy a new battery and the said i could get 4 plus hrs when i first got it ... well i never got anything more than 2.5 hrs barely 3 hrs of use on the battery since i got that thing... and lets face it "Made in Cupertino" = made in Taiwan or somewhere in Asia where there is no real QC unless SJ is standing there lQQKing over the shoulders of the workers making these new products... so let the guy vent .... i still love apple products but they need to do a better job of QC in my opinion.... and don't tell me to go and buy a PC windoze crap either... APPLE is well aware of this issue and figures recalling these iMacs would be costly and prob be a bad PR move so they are 'cheating' and gonna fix it through a software update instead of a hardware fix... this is how things are done in this fast moving pc world - bad, bad, bad Apple ... they should have checked these things before they accepted delivery on these ATI cards ... disabled american here ... no need to call names... that should be saved for myspace or facebook...
  • Reply 66 of 80
    btw.. you folks sound like ninnies.

Back on TOPIC. I applied the update and over 20 hours later... no freezes.

Thank GOD. I didn't want to have to return this beautiful computer.

-NUM
  • Reply 67 of 80
    ckh1272ckh1272 Posts: 107member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Not Unlike Myself View Post

btw.. you folks sound like ninnies.

Back on TOPIC. I applied the update and over 20 hours later... no freezes.

Thank GOD. I didn't want to have to return this beautiful computer.

-NUM

and then some. I am not going to name names, but I am only going to state the following one more time. If I had as many problems with a company's products (like a computer, Ipod, Iphone, or Safari 4 Beta) as some people state, I would file my complaints, sell it all and make the switch to something else. I am a Apple user, but I am not so blind to think that if I continue to have so many problems (like some people again), that I will continue to use it. I will make my complaints with the company and move on. This constant badgering on these message boards really accomplish nothing and usually sidetrack from the topic at hand. In short, when you follow those steps I stated, that is the BEST way to get your point across to a company, especially when the $$$ stops coming in. Remember, 1-file complaint with company. 2-if problems persist, sell it to someone who wants to "roll the dice" on your problem child. 3-Post, ONE TIME, your issue with "said" company on their website. 4-Move on with your life.

Have a nice day!!
  • Reply 68 of 80
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

And Dell's always been crap. Apple, however used to be rock solid.

Apple always had a problem here and there, just like now. I don't see any difference.

It's just that Apple makes, and sells, more products than before, so it seems as thought they have more problems.

Quote:

Maybe because there are more problems? It seems with every model there is some kind of manufacturing defect or a major hardware bug. Leopard shipped with more problems with any OS since 10.0 (which was beta 2.0 basically). They're slipping on focus.

No. I don't ever remember, going back to 6.0.8, where Apple didn't have bugs, some severe, with every OS release.

I also don't ever remember a time when they didn't have hardware problems, poor designs, etc.

During most of that time, there wasn't an internet, so these problems didn't get spread around the web like they do today. It wasn't until 2002, or so, that the web had enough sites like this for people to go to to talk about what was going on, and it's really only been in the last five years or so where the memberships of these sites became large enough for it to matter.

Also, people put Apple under a magnifying glass, where they don't do that to other vendors. We Apple customers also tend to be pickier than customers from the PC world. I see people here complaining about "problems" that are common everywhere else, but not mentioned.

So when Apple has scratches on the screens of some iPods, a major fuss resulted. The fact that every other manufacturer had about the same amount of scratching was ignored.

But it was Apple that spent the R&D dollars to come up with a much better way of eliminating them. MS copied that too, a year later.
  • Reply 69 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

I agree with you... if you voice your opinion here, the Macheads will eat you up and troll you out lol... I don't care. I say it as I see it.

The iMac is an amazing design until something inside breaks down and then you got to repair it. All the internals are under the glass and under the LCD! Why would Apple design such a product as such and make it difficult to fix? I had my 2008 iMac fixed and it was returned by Apple with tons of dust/lint under the glass and nicks on the side of the machine. I complained and got my money back. They said the design is such that it is very hard to not nick or for dust to enter in! What a great design.

No one here is saying that Apple products don't have problems. But there are over 50,000 members on this site, and the vast majority, from having read many posts over the years, have not had the amount of problems you guys seem to have had.

That's about it.

But people get upset when you come here and practically scream that Apple is crap, and then keep to a one sided argument, comforting each other by talking everyone else down, as though they are saying something they aren't.

Do you really think that AIO's made by the various PC manufacturers are any easier to service than Apple's? In general, they are not.
  • Reply 70 of 80
    Quote:

I compare Apple to Bose a lot.

Great designs. Great products.

Although Apple is losing it in terms of quality control, whereas BOSE isn't.

The BOSE are built perfect. Flawless. I have the Companion 5 and love them.

I love the iMac, but I have seen the quality control at Apple go downhill from a year ago.

Take the iPhone 3G for example... Twice as Fast, Half the price = more problems.

Bose make mediocre products. They have always made mediocre products. They also make professional products which are high quality.

But performance is not something you talk about when mentioning Bose. Not, that is, if you know anything about audio quality.

Exactly what problems have you had with your iPhone? I assume you have one, so that you know of what you speak from a personal perspective.

My family has three 3G's. We haven't had a single problem that can properly be ascribed to Apple, other than, early on, a couple of problems with a small number of third party programs, which has since been taken care of. The phones themselves have been flawless.

some network problems which are the result of AT&T having to expand service rapidly, though much of that has improved markedly as well.

My wife and daughter's 24" 2008 iMac models have also worked flawlessly.

I just don't understand how you seem to have so many problems.

The biggest problem I ever had was with the first Apple machine I ever bought for myself. That was my Quadra 950, bought somewhere around 1992. One memory slot was bad, and they had to replace the mobo.

Other than that, I've never had a major problem, though my 9500 was a terrible design, requiring almost an entire computer take apart to get memory into the machine, and having those horrible plastic latches for the PCI card restrainers. If you weren't careful, they would break.
  • Reply 71 of 80
    phalanxphalanx Posts: 109member
    That and the 25-30 security fixes every month, it won't be long until those Mac's will be as productive as a standard Windows PC. Oh, except for not being able to run 97% of the the worlds software. Oh, unless you load the O/S that your product is marketed against. Maybe Windows should be able to bring up a Mac window.

They only support a couple graphics cards, you would think they could test it. Windows has to work with hundreds.
  • Reply 72 of 80
    ckh1272ckh1272 Posts: 107member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by phalanx View Post

That and the 25-30 security fixes every month, it won't be long until those Mac's will be as productive as a standard Windows PC. Oh, except for not being able to run 97% of the the worlds software. Oh, unless you load the O/S that your product is marketed against. Maybe Windows should be able to bring up a Mac window.

They only support a couple graphics cards, you would think they could test it. Windows has to work with hundreds.

25-30 a month??!! Wow!! It must really suck on your planet!
  • Reply 73 of 80
    kareliakarelia Posts: 525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by phalanx View Post

That and the 25-30 security fixes every month

Try 1-3.

As for the iMacs, I have yet to se more than a couple units with screen issues that couldn't be resolved through calibration. And for reference, I see at least a dozen or two every week at the shop.

Frankly, there's only two quality control issues that I've come to expect when talking to customers in the support department. One being the iMac G5's power supply issues, which are long out of REP range anyway, and the other being the white/black MacBook and it's tendency to crack along the forward edge of the top case. Oddly, the nVidia issues on the Geforce 8600-based MacBook Pro seem to be declining. It's likely that most affected models have been dealt with.
  • Reply 74 of 80
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Exactly what quantifiably in Apple's quality control is worse this year from last?

I've had both the original iPhone and the iPhone 3G from the first day they were sold. I gave the original to a friend. Both have been rock solid from day one.

Quote:

• Reply 75 of 80
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I've had Safari 4 installed from its first day of release, I cannot recall any crashes.

Quote:

Now that Apple released Firmware 1.4 for the iMac, when does one think a new Safari 4 will come out? Mine crashes too many times, I had to uninstall it.

• Reply 76 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I've had Safari 4 installed from its first day of release, I cannot recall any crashes.

Only from Flash.
  • Reply 77 of 80
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Apple always had a problem here and there, just like now. I don't see any difference.

Absolutely. But there was even worse sometimes. What comes quickly to mind is the Powerbook 5300. I think it had more issues than any of the more recent Apple products.
  • Reply 78 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

Absolutely. But there was even worse sometimes. What comes quickly to mind is the Powerbook 5300. I think it had more issues than any of the more recent Apple products.

It flows and ebbs, you know?

Right now, they've had problems with suppliers. The same suppliers other companies have been having problems with.
  • Reply 79 of 80
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member
    I've owned Macs since May 1992. I've had exactly two hardware failures: a logic board failure in a white iBook G3/500 that was not covered by the repair extension and the hard drive from my G4/450DP long after it had been relegated to backup duties. I've even had great success with "Frankenstein" machines like the Power Computing PowerCenter I built using a variety of parts bought on ebay.

Even after all that my anecdotal evidence is no stronger or weaker than anyone else's.

Just for fun I'm going to point out to camroidv27 that there's no such thing as a Quadra 810av and remind MelGross that his Quadra 950 had NuBus slots, not PCI
  • Reply 80 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

I've owned Macs since May 1992. I've had exactly two hardware failures: a logic board failure in a white iBook G3/500 that was not covered by the repair extension and the hard drive from my G4/450DP long after it had been relegated to backup duties. I've even had great success with "Frankenstein" machines like the Power Computing PowerCenter I built using a variety of parts bought on ebay.

Even after all that my anecdotal evidence is no stronger or weaker than anyone else's.

Just for fun I'm going to point out to camroidv27 that there's no such thing as a Quadra 810av and remind MelGross that his Quadra 950 had NuBus slots, not PCI

You're right, NuBus slots it was. I didn't say it had PCI slots. I was talking about the memory slots, which were SIMMs.