Transmission sucks up all HD space

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I've had this ongoing problem that I hope I can get resolved with your help: Each time I try to download using torrents, I watch as all my HD space gets sucked up by a relatively small file. Say I have 55 gig free - I watch it decrease to 52....50.... 48... all the way down until I have 500 k left and the OS tells me to free up some space. What could be causing this? Has anyone had this problem before? Then I restart and boot up OS X to find a folder labeled 'Recovered Files' in the Trash. As soon as I delete that folder, all my HD space is back. I've tried switching to Utorrent as well, but I had the same result.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xephrey View Post

I've had this ongoing problem that I hope I can get resolved with your help: Each time I try to download using torrents, I watch as all my HD space gets sucked up by a relatively small file. Say I have 55 gig free - I watch it decrease to 52....50.... 48... all the way down until I have 500 k left and the OS tells me to free up some space. What could be causing this? Has anyone had this problem before? Then I restart and boot up OS X to find a folder labeled 'Recovered Files' in the Trash. As soon as I delete that folder, all my HD space is back. I've tried switching to Utorrent as well, but I had the same result.

How many torrents are you downloading? Most of the time they create a dummy file that is the same size as the real file. The file is often created as soon as the torrent starts to download. Could this be the problem? Are you downloading a lot of torrents at once?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    xephreyxephrey Posts: 7member
    Just one.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    jpenningtonjpennington Posts: 476member
    This sounds like a disk problem, not an application problem as your tried two mainstream applications and they both produced the same results.

Try using the repair disk utility in the disk utility. If this is your boot volume you will need to boot from your OS disc (hold C at startup) and select disc utility from from the utilities menu.

Also, try a different torrent file if some reason the torrent is reporting an improper size.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    xephreyxephrey Posts: 7member
    Yeah, I did all the disk diagnostic stuff right before testing both of them again. Does Apple Jack have anything that disk utility booting from the CD doesn't? I guess its gotta be those torrent files. I haven't seen any other signs of failing HDs.