Boot camp questions

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi, I have 2 questions about boot camp related stuff.

First of all, I installed a windows xp partition a while ago. Sadly, I didn't know that I actually had to buy another xp product key for xp to continue to work-not going to happen. So, I need to know how I can erase my xp partition so I can have all the hard drive back. At the moment, I can't log in to windows since I don't have a product key, and also I formatted it in the way that is NOT readable by mac os x. Also, I have a back up of mac os x, so I'd rather not but I don't mind doing dangerous things. I just thought all that info might help

Second, Im wondering how to install windows 7 as a partition (once I erase the xp part). There apparently is a free release candidate on the microsoft website, so I thought I would take advantage of that. Does anyone know if I can use boot camp for that, or is there some other obscure way to install it?

Thanks a lot for any help!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Hi Buddy,

If you just want to remove the boot camp partition then all you need to do is to open disk utility and remove the partition from there.

1. Open disc utility.

2. Select the Main HD (its not the Mac HD or the Boot Camp)

3. Click on partition and chose the scheme as 1 partition or remove the boot camp from there by selecting the volume (Boot Camp) and then hitting the minus sign on the bottom.

4. Your boot camp partition is now gone.

As far as your second question is concerned Boot Camp only supports Win XP and Win Vista but again i have not tried installing Win 7 on it. If the file format is the same it might just work. But you will not have the drivers for it available from the Leopard CD. So even if it does work it would be driverless..!!

If you do try it please do let me know what happens..!!
  • Reply 2 of 2
    maxijazzmaxijazz Posts: 25member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dabestyo View Post

[...]. I just thought all that info might help

I assume you can read so:

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/...tall-Setup.pdf

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dabestyo View Post

[...] is there some other obscure way to install it?

Thanks a lot for any help!

I just installed W7RC (it is Vista-like animal) w/o a problem using OSX10.5.6 media, all hardware get recognized (ignore W7 warning there is known incompatibility).