Apple execs to keynote WWDC, issue final Snow Leopard preview

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple said Wednesday that a team of its top executives lead by worldwide marketing chief Phil Schiller will kick off its annual Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) next month with a keynote address on Monday, June 8 at 10:00 a.m. that will showcase a final developer preview of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard.

The opening keynote address has historically been delivered by Apple chief executive Steve Jobs, who announced in January that he was taking a six-month medical leave from his day-to-day leadership role at the company to recover from complex health issues that may have resulted from his otherwise successful bout with pancreatic cancer five years ago.

Apple executives have maintained that Jobs will return to the company in some capacity by the end of June. In the meantime, worldwide marketing chief Phil Schiller has been filling in for the company co-founder, delivering what was widely regarded as a successful keynote presentation at this year's Macworld Expo. Other members of Apple's top brass have also pitched in, like Senior Vice President iPhone Software Scott Forstall, who a couple of months later hosted a smaller media event on the company's Cupertino-based campus to preview iPhone Software 3.0.

Next month's WWDC is expected to showcase even more of Apple's top talent, who'll take turns updating attendees on the most recent advances in both Mac OS X and iPhone software. Among the execs expected to join Schiller on stage is Apple's senior vice president of Software Engineering, Bertrand Serlet, who'll bring developers up to date on the company's plans for the upcoming release of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard and deliver a feature complete beta of the operating systems to attendees.

"Last June, we gave developers an early look at the powerful new technologies that form the underpinnings of Mac OS X Snow Leopard," Serlet said. "At WWDC, we will be giving our developers a final Developer Preview release so they can see the incredible progress we've made on Snow Leopard and work with us as we move toward its final release."

As part of its ongoing coverage of Snow Leopard, AppleInsider had repeatedly noted that WWDC would see developers equipped with a feature-complete beta of the operating system, which may include some interface changes. People familiar with the matter have estimated that Apple will need roughly two months following the conference to bring the software to market, suggesting a release in the August time frame.

Snow Leopard and Mac technical sessions at WWDC will showcase the hundreds of refinements to the operating system and dive into its new technologies including a 64-bit architecture, QuickTime X, next-generation multicore and GPU processor support, and new accessibility technologies, according to Apple. Meanwhile, iPhone OS 3.0 technical sessions will reportedly cover introductory and advanced concepts to help developers get the most out of the iPhone OS 3.0 SDK and the more than 1,000 new APIs available for iPhone OS 3.0.

WWDC will also offer attendees the rare opportunity to work side-by-side with Apple engineers to solve code-level issues, gain insight into development techniques and get expert advice on interface design. Over 100 technical sessions will be presented by more than 1,000 Apple engineers. The conference is sold out.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 80
    tetzel1517tetzel1517 Posts: 204member
    No Steve? It'll be interesting to see what the stock price does today.

But I sense a bit of wiggle room in what Apple is saying here. Perhaps Phil kicks off the speech, but Steve is this year's "one more thing"?
  • Reply 2 of 80
    cozagadacozagada Posts: 19member
    I think the point is to show that the company runs fine without SJ and can deliver great products. It wouldn't make sense to see him return as the Messiah.
  • Reply 3 of 80
    cbw87cbw87 Posts: 36member
    I think the most significant thing is how they seem to be playing down the prospect of any surprises, very clearly outlining what to expect: could this be a move towards using WWDC keynotes more for developer news, suggesting perhaps that there'll be a special event later in June for the iPhone v.3? And maybe with Steve?
  • Reply 4 of 80
    Developer preview in June... This means at least a 2 year development cycle for 10.6...
  • Reply 5 of 80
    This conference will be interesting - I and a bunch of folks have been waiting for updates of the pro apps (Final Cut Studio, Shake, etc.) I've been figuring that everything has been held back for Snow Leopard to be released and grab the spotlight. Hopefully things are going well and once QuickTime and the other core technologies get their updates we'll start to see some real activity on the apps! After all, the apps are what make US money.

Stan

spread the word about http://www.giftcardsfordinner.com and help those laid-off & now unemployed

(abandoned gift cards are valued at $10 Billion annually!)
  • Reply 6 of 80
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Schiller's cool- much better than Cook.

Too bad no Steve. Here's to wishing him a healthy return.
  • Reply 7 of 80
    kbeatkbeat Posts: 48member
    So much for the hope of Snow Leopard this June. Final developer preview "as we work toward its final release" sounds a lot like a late Fall release if not later. I really hope they beat Windows 7 to market, but looks like it'll be close.

Of greater interest to me are the pro apps. Final Cut, Aperture, etc. are all in need of big updates to keep up with the competition. We'd heard rumors of something around NAB, but that came and went without a peep. This press release from Apple suggests that WWDC will similarly be without any news of Pro App updates.
  • Reply 8 of 80
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KBeat View Post

So much for the hope of Snow Leopard this June. Final developer preview "as we work toward its final release" sounds a lot like a late Fall release if not later. I really hope they beat Windows 7 to market, but looks like it'll be close.

Fall has been the stated for a long time now. It's just not close to going Gold master yet. I'm guessing that the significance of the developer preview will be the UI changes that have been rumored. Why else give developers a preview when they've been able to get developer betas every couple weeks from Apple. WIn7 is apparently coming out "before December". I think Apple will beat them to market.
  • Reply 9 of 80
    tetzel1517tetzel1517 Posts: 204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cbw87 View Post

I think the most significant thing is how they seem to be playing down the prospect of any surprises, very clearly outlining what to expect: could this be a move towards using WWDC keynotes more for developer news, suggesting perhaps that there'll be a special event later in June for the iPhone v.3? And maybe with Steve?

That seems plausible, especially since -- I now realize -- Apple has clearly said Steve won't be back until the end of June.
  • Reply 10 of 80
    pg4gpg4g Posts: 383member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by T'hain Esh Kelch View Post

Developer preview in June... This means at least a 2 year development cycle for 10.6...

I'd say that they've been working on it since Leopard's release in late 2007 so yes it will be a 2 year development cycle or so... But don't think of this as a basic preview. This build will be the one of the final betas.

Developer previews are generally the releases that kick off the beta cycles. This is coming at the end of a beta cycle.
  • Reply 11 of 80
    gregalexandergregalexander Posts: 1,400member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tetzel1517 View Post

No Steve? It'll be interesting to see what the stock price does today.

But I sense a bit of wiggle room in what Apple is saying here. Perhaps Phil kicks off the speech, but Steve is this year's "one more thing"?

Yeah, there's plenty of room:

"Apple said Wednesday that a team of its top executives ...."

I'd say Steve is one of its top executives.

Still, I like the idea of a number of Apple's top talent taking the stage.
  • Reply 12 of 80
    dagamer34dagamer34 Posts: 494member
    I want some Bertrand Serlet (WWDC '06)!!!! Yeah!
  • Reply 13 of 80
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cbw87 View Post

If they said there might be a surprise, then it wouldn't really be a surprise, now would it?
  • Reply 14 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tetzel1517 View Post

That seems plausible, especially since -- I now realize -- Apple has clearly said Steve won't be back until the end of June.

I think he'll be there, but what I don't know is if Apple will be able to keep it under wraps until he steps out on stage, or at least until that morning. It would be good free publicity to have Jobs take the stage to introduce the new iPhone, which is Apple's number one cash cow.
  • Reply 15 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

If they said there might be a surprise, then it wouldn't really be a surprise, now would it?

That is a good point.
  • Reply 16 of 80
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cozagada View Post

I think the point is to show that the company runs fine without SJ and can deliver great products. It wouldn't make sense to see him return as the Messiah.

Speaking as part of a small team of new iPhone app developers, I can personally tell you that the entire process and the instructions provided by Apple on app creation are an out-of-control disaster. We have literally found dozens and dozens of errors, ranging from "smack me in the head stupid" to major blunders that have thrown roadblocks up to understanding the nature of Xcode and the UI kit. I'm absolutely shocked there are as many apps as there are, because Apple has really fallen down on the job in this area. Major, major improvements are needed.
  • Reply 17 of 80
    wobegonwobegon Posts: 764member
    Exciting!

If Apple introduces a revamped UI with Snow Leopard at WWDC as is predicted, this will be the second time they've talked about under-the-hood technologies and then, the following year, shown off the UI when the OS is near ready to ship. They did the same with Leopard but it was stalled by iPhone development.

I think this strategy while good for developers, is more likely motivated by Microsoft or more specifically, an anticipation of Microsoft running to the copy machines. I love how Windows 7's taskbar resembles Panther's or Tiger's Dock. On that note, I wonder what SL's Dock will look like.

Anyway, I guess the only other news is the absense of Jobs, but that's not really a surprise as he's scheduled to return "at the end of June," which is approximately 7 weeks away. The more time to recoup, the better IMO.

Here's hoping we see something with a touch screen other than the next iPhone (which hopefully will also be unveiled). In addition, I'm crossing my fingers for Snow Leopard's UI—as well as any other changes they haven't yet disclosed—to bring iPhone caliber simplicity to the Mac.
  • Reply 18 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Speaking as part of a small team of new iPhone app developers, I can personally tell you that the entire process and the instructions provided by Apple on app creation are an out-of-control disaster. We have literally found dozens and dozens of errors, ranging from "smack me in the head stupid" to major blunders that have thrown roadblocks up to understanding the nature of Xcode and the UI kit. I'm absolutely shocked there are as many apps as there are, because Apple has really fallen down on the job in this area. Major, major improvements are needed.

The iPhone SDK and App Store are still very new. I'm surprised, and I think Apple is too, that it's grown this fast. But the company is still running well without Jobs, though I don't think he's been gone long enough or far enough out of the loop to make the statement that Cozagada did. Let's see how Apple does a year or two after Jobs is really gone.
  • Reply 19 of 80
    shadowshadow Posts: 373member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KBeat View Post

I was pretty sure that this is the case. The fact that Snow Leopard will not be released this June is good news for me. The fact that they say "a new Developer preview" instead of something between the lines of "the latest beta release" is even better. This gives a lot of credibility to the new UI rumor. As I mentioned in different thread, I hope that the new UI will bring resolution independence along the way. And the other way around: if Apple is working on new UI there are zero chances they will spend time patching the aging Aqua. So the sooner the UI change - the better.

The new UI would have lots of merits on it's own:
    1. It will put to rest the "No new features" myth. The new UI alone will be the most significant change since Mac OS X introduction.

2. It will greatly increase the perceived advantage over Windows 7. The press spent a lot of time comparing Vista with Leopard and now, a couple of years later, Apple will look like puting on the table a completely revamped OS while Microsoft - an improved version of Vista. The real picture is not that simple because both companies are following different development cycles and even version strategies, but we are talking about the perceprion here (well, a bit oversimplified anyway).

3. We all hope that if there is a new design it will be better than the current one. I am pretty sure it will take some time to get used to. Also. I know it will be critisized for certain details, but I believe we will all like the refresh.

Regarding the timing, as far as SL is released in time for the Christmas shopping season, it does not matter whether it hits the market first or after Windows 7. The features of both OSes will be known by then and the press will be able to dance around. It better be stable and relatively bug free. Actually, this applies to both Apple and Microsoft. Neither shall rush the product out, just make it ready for Christmas. August or late November does not matter medium and long term. First or second does not matter either.
  • Reply 20 of 80
    shadowshadow Posts: 373member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

You haven't been with Apple during the 10.0 rollout, didn't you? You haven't been developing for Symbian or Android, didn't you?